Anatomy of Speech Mechanisms

Hi,

Sorry for posting so much!  I just don't really know where else to turn.

So I just found out that my school is phasing out our anatomy of speech mechanisms course before I was able to take it because apparently our speech science course was too similar too it.  I'm rather confused on what to do here.  Should I email grad schools with a description of the speech science course to see if it can possibly count for both an anatomy AND speech science prerequisite for schools who require both?  I don't think it will...  I'm confused and have emailed my advisor, but honestly she is not very helpful at all and takes forever to respond.

Are there any schools where I can take the anatomy course online either in the spring, which is the semester I graduate, or in the summer after I graduate?  Will grad schools that I apply to even allow me to wait that long to finish up a prerequisite?

I'm confused and need advice.

Utah State offers 3100 (A&P of Speech) every semester, including summer. Ditto for Wisconsin-Eau Claire's A&P of Speech & Hearing. Eastern NM offers A&P of Speech & Hearing in the spring but not the summer. Those 3 offer open enrollment in individual CSD courses. There are probably others but those 3 are relatively inexpensive.

5 minutes ago, Crimson Wife said:

Utah State offers 3100 (A&P of Speech) every semester, including summer. Ditto for Wisconsin-Eau Claire's A&P of Speech & Hearing. Eastern NM offers A&P of Speech & Hearing in the spring but not the summer. Those 3 offer open enrollment in individual CSD courses. There are probably others but those 3 are relatively inexpensive.

Thanks for the quick response!  Are you aware of whether graduate schools require you to have all prerequisites done before you graduate?  Or is it generally allowed to finish prerequisites the summer right before you start a program?

55 minutes ago, sunflower state of mind said:

Thanks for the quick response!  Are you aware of whether graduate schools require you to have all prerequisites done before you graduate?  Or is it generally allowed to finish prerequisites the summer right before you start a program?

It really depends on the school.  One of the schools I was accepted into had one class I hadn't taken as a pre-req.  Had I accepted, I could have taken it this summer from another institution, or I could have taken the class on top of my winter quarter courseload which would have affected my clinic hours somehow, but it would have been doable.  I accepted at UW though, so it ended up being a non-issue.

Edited by Jolie717

My undergrad at Temple combines both into one course, Basic Speech Science, and I don't have to take any other pre-reqs for grad school so I think you'll be okay as long as everything is covered in that one course (which I'm sure it will be). 

58 minutes ago, royffle said:

My undergrad at Temple combines both into one course, Basic Speech Science, and I don't have to take any other pre-reqs for grad school so I think you'll be okay as long as everything is covered in that one course (which I'm sure it will be). 

Oh yay, someone else!  I mean I would assume it would be because that's the exact reason I was given for the anatomy course being phased out: it was too similar to the speech science course.  

Before you start looking into other courses, I would definitely continue to try your hardest to check in with your department about the changes and your concerns. For some reason different schools have slight differentiation to their pre-req names, which sure doesn't help us haha. I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure for ASHA accreditation undergrad programs offering the CSD major have to adhere to a certain set of coursework. In terms of applying to grad schools, as long as you were a CSD major, I have seen on my program websites "take these pre-reqs...or have been a CSD major." Though the pre-reqs seem to all differ a bit, you should be covered as a CSD major! Once you narrow down your list of target schools, you could always email them just for extra reassurance!