Classics 2010

spozik

salve! not sure, but I think we'll start hearing in the next week or two about some of the earliest decisions. it looks from your signature in the other thread that you're focused on mostly terminal MAs (except Texas?)--hopefully you have some good luck there! welcome to the boat, we're all waiting.

salve! not sure, but I think we'll start hearing in the next week or two about some of the earliest decisions. it looks from your signature in the other thread that you're focused on mostly terminal MAs (except Texas?)--hopefully you have some good luck there! welcome to the boat, we're all waiting.

Actually, Florida is a MA/PhD but I'll probably just stay for the MA should I be accepted. I had higher hopes for applying to better schools, but my GRE scores would not have gotten me past the three seconds after the envelope was opened. But fortunately, I have great LORs and a SOP, a solid writing sample, a 3.9, and a thesis on Michel Foucualt and Cicero in the works. Hopefully these things will overshadow somewhat, but I can (as we all do) only speculate.

I applied to Texas because I have a great LOR from a Prof who went there. Where are you applying and what program are you from?

Actually, Florida is a MA/PhD but I'll probably just stay for the MA should I be accepted. I had higher hopes for applying to better schools, but my GRE scores would not have gotten me past the three seconds after the envelope was opened. But fortunately, I have great LORs and a SOP, a solid writing sample, a 3.9, and a thesis on Michel Foucualt and Cicero in the works. Hopefully these things will overshadow somewhat, but I can (as we all do) only speculate.

I applied to Texas because I have a great LOR from a Prof who went there. Where are you applying and what program are you from?

Hey - I like your name. Would you mind sharing a bit about your research interests?

Hey - I like your name. Would you mind sharing a bit about your research interests?

Of course. I'm primarily interested in semantics and gender studies, and particularly in ancient domesticity. For my thesis I'm analyzing the language and narrative technique of Cicero's Pro Caelio using principles from Foucault's History of Sexuality. Most of my writing during undergrad has examined instances in literature where socially/politically marginalized people break through the text semantically or they are blantantly corrupted by the author. As for authors, my main ones are Tacitus and Cicero for Latin and Demosthenes in Greek.

Oh, and I happened to come across a posting of yours, LateAntique, about your GRE frustrations. The same exact thing happened to me.

And thanks for the name compliment. The phrase in Greek is actually tattooed on my shoulder.

Edited by gnothiseauton

I went to a small liberal arts college and got my BA in Classics, but I graduated a few years ago. I'm doing a post-bac at the moment to get back into the swing of things. I'm applying to 9 schools -- 7 PhD track and 2 terminal MAs. Did you have Timothy Johnson while at Florida? I read "A Symposion of Praise" and the material didn't capture me so much, but I was really impressed by the level of scholarship.

Your interests sound cool. What trouble did you have on the GRE, if you don't mind me asking? I didn't do poorly on it (the second time, anyway...), but I think it's crap. I don't want to bring one of those threads into this one, so feel free to just message me if you'd prefer.

Edited by spozik

I guess I have the distinguished honor of getting the season's first rejection! :) I had a no from Wisconsin waiting in my inbox this afternoon.

Oh... I am bummed to hear that. Wisconsin is a competitive program, I'm sure good news will come your way soon. Glad to see you are still using happy emoticons in this situation... You are a better man/woman than me.

Hello all. I find myself back on these fora after a two year hiatus during which I got an MA in Classics. This time I'm applying out to PhD programs. I didn't apply to any safety schools this time because I have the option of staying in my current department if necessary. I do really want to move away and experience a new department though, so I'm anxious to start hearing back. My schools are listed below.

My area is Latin prose, particularly Cicero. I'm interested in republican period politics and literature and their relevance to imperial authors, and I moonlight in gender studies.

Edited by sidereal

Hello all. I find myself back on these fora after a two year hiatus during which I got an MA in Classics. This time I'm applying out to PhD programs. I didn't apply to any safety schools this time because I have the option of staying in my current department if necessary. I do really want to move away and experience a new department though, so I'm anxious to start hearing back. My schools are listed below.

My area is Latin prose, particularly Cicero. I'm interested in republican period politics and literature and their relevance to imperial authors, and I moonlight in gender studies.

Please, you SUNlight in gender studies.

I guess I have the distinguished honor of getting the season's first rejection! :) I had a no from Wisconsin waiting in my inbox this afternoon.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Now that you've got that one rejection out of the way, the acceptances you get will be that much better.

The waiting is killing me. I was REALLY hoping to hear something this week, but so far... nothing. Trying not to read too much into things, but I know a lot of programs I applied to typically notify early so it's hard not to. Ughhh just had to vent.

The waiting is killing me. I was REALLY hoping to hear something this week, but so far... nothing. Trying not to read too much into things, but I know a lot of programs I applied to typically notify early so it's hard not to. Ughhh just had to vent.

I know what you mean. I just wish something would come along...

Accepted into University of Colorado's program for the MA, but waitlisted for funding. From what I understand, they are able to fund half of their MA students so I hope I will be one of those. Glad to finally hear back something though!