Classics 2010

spozik

Washington, too? Everything's coming up sidereal! I know you said you're finishing up an MA and have the option of staying on at the PhD program--where are you currently? I'd hazard a guess (there aren't too many programs like that in the country...), but I'd rather not be presumptuous. I imagine it helps that you're interested in prose--from my perspective, anyway, not too many people get excited about Cicero! :)

Haha, I can make people cry with my rhetorical analyses. Just kidding...

Thanks for the congratulations everyone. I am going to UT's visiting days soon, which is pretty exciting. I got an acceptance packet from the graduate school at UW, but haven't received anything from the department yet. That is making me anxious.

I hope we all get more feedback soon.

Haha, I can make people cry with my rhetorical analyses. Just kidding...

Thanks for the congratulations everyone. I am going to UT's visiting days soon, which is pretty exciting. I got an acceptance packet from the graduate school at UW, but haven't received anything from the department yet. That is making me anxious.

I hope we all get more feedback soon.

I guess this means I should be expecting a rejection from them soon too... ugh. Congratulations though!

Me too! 120 apps, 5 spots.

Gah! I don't understand why they have to reject everyone so late in the game. Can anyone else figure out the timelines that admissions committees use? If people are hearing acceptances so early, shouldn't we also be hearing about rejections? I feel like I have this totally deluded sense of false hope: just because I haven't been rejected yet (although I'm certain I will be) I feel like I have a chance. Very frustrating. Sorry to hear about UT, guys, I'm just waiting for my rejection, too. D-X

Edit: Ok, so I posted this and literally like 30 seconds later my email got forwarded that I got rejected. Sometimes I just hate being right.

Edited by monsoonmaiden

@ Moonmaiden et al.

Someone told me that not being invited to the interview weekend is not equivalent to being rejected. I don't know if thats true or not, and a drowning man clings to anything he thinks will float. Has anyone else heard this? Can it really be true? Because I, like moonmaiden was, am clinging to some hopes that I'm pretty sure are foolish.

SVBEEV

Soul Invictus, I certainly think it's possible that not everyone gets invited to the visitation weekend. Neither of my friends who were accepted to graduate schools last year received any such invites. Soooo, maybe there is hope?

Also, I was intrigued to see the UChicago reject on the results page, as I thought they didn't start sending out letters until March.

I think (not to rain on anyone's parade) that it wouldn't make sense if a school had an interview weekend that they would accept people not invited to it. I know not all schools have them, but I can't imagine that they would spend money to fly people out to visit, especially in this climate, if they weren't serious about them as applicants. I have a friend who is being flown to the US from abroad for an interview weekend. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I were a school, I don't think I"d spend that money unless they were the candidates I was thinking about investing in academically for the next 5-7 years. What do you guys think?

Hi everyone,

First, good luck to all of you, and congratulations to everyone who has received offers in this very tough application season. I'm curious to know if anyone has had a final response yet from Yale. I interviewed there recently and am dying to hear back...the more time that passes, the more worried I get. :/ So works the mind of a neurotic Classicist.

For those wondering about the possibility of being accepted without being at a prospectives weekend:

the possibilities vary. At some schools, if you aren't invited out, you are basically rejected. I know this was the case at Brown a couple of years ago, as I was told as much by the chair when I inquired about the status of my application (why they can't just tell the applicants that, I have no idea). That said, there are schools who will not reject you outright because they're still pondering - someone not flown out might not be in the top tier of candidates, but certainly not out until that top tier makes their own decisions. This is the case at a couple of places I know of, and in my own program that has been the case for several of our current students (who, by the way, are mostly fantastic, so it goes to show that applications aren't always representative of who we are & become).

So, the truth of it is - as always - it depends on the school, but there is reason to not give up hope just yet, should this be the boat you're in.

Also, just fwiw - this whole thing is a bit of a game, and a lot of it relies on alchemy and luck. If this isn't your year, there's no shame in it. I was recently told by a professor that some of the best students he knows, from various programs, needed multiple years to get in. If you're really serious about the field, don't let anything get in your way -just keep working and improving and try again. I can say from personal experience that it can pay off big time. :)

Grumble grumble. Although it's easy to be calm and collected at rejection, it still stings to think that right now, there is a visitation weekend going on that I was not invited to. :-(

So, I was wondering if you guys had any tips for reapplication next year. Other than, of course, adding more to the language load, what have you guys heard helps improve apps in a season like this? I've had admissions people tell me it really was about funding and numbers and ancient languages, but I'm sure there's more to it. Any ideas about what to do in the year between now and reapplication other than a totally non-related job? Have any of you taken gap years that you found were helpful in your graduate work?

Grumble grumble. Although it's easy to be calm and collected at rejection, it still stings to think that right now, there is a visitation weekend going on that I was not invited to. :-(

So, I was wondering if you guys had any tips for reapplication next year. Other than, of course, adding more to the language load, what have you guys heard helps improve apps in a season like this? I've had admissions people tell me it really was about funding and numbers and ancient languages, but I'm sure there's more to it. Any ideas about what to do in the year between now and reapplication other than a totally non-related job? Have any of you taken gap years that you found were helpful in your graduate work?

Some thoughts:

1.) If you think your ancient languages are your problem, do a post-bac. The Penn program I know for a fact has been HUGELY successful at placing candidates. The Georgetown program is also great, and I have no personal experience of other places (UCLA, UNC), though I'm sure they are also great programs. I don't think there's a ton of funding (if any) available for post-bacs, but if you really think that a weak background in ancient languages is the one thing keeping you from making it to the short list, then I think the post-bac is the logical choice (especially since the financial commitment is not terrible).

2.) Where do you stand with your modern languages? You should definitely be at a point with one of your modern languages that you can pass the reading exam immediately, and it would behoove you to have some background in a second modern language if you don't already. A great way to demonstrate your modern language skills would be to ensure that you have some foreign scholarship listed in the biblio. of your writing sample.

3.) Once the application season is over, sit down with somebody and go through your writing sample. When I was interviewing for programs, my writing sample was the one thing that continuously came up in conversation. One DGS told me that the writing sample is, for them, the most important piece of the application, and they are always looking for people who can demonstrate not only a sophisticated writing style, but also an ability to forward and support new and interesting ideas (as opposed to rehashing the same arguments that have been bandied about for decades).

4.) Once you start reapplying next year, I would get in touch with professors at the programs to which you are applying, if only to email and say, "Hi, my name is X, I'm interested in Y, and I'm wondering if you think Z university would be a good fit for me." There really is something to be said for "fit" -- both socially and intellectually -- and programs want to create cohorts that are both socially cohesive and intellectually complementary. If somebody you contact tells you early on that she doesn't think Z university is the right place for you, then you can save yourself some money and some potential future frustration.

5.) Don't bother retaking the GRE, unless your scores strike you as SIGNIFICANTLY lower than your abilities would suggest. The GRE is a waste of time and money, I think.

These are, of course, not sure-fire ways of encountering more success next year. These are things that I did when reapplying for programs. I have no idea of really knowing what it was about my application that resulted in a happier outcome the second time around. Also, I would start applying for every single external fellowship or grant that you can find. If you can bring some of your own money with you to a program, that is ALWAYS a plus. Good luck!

Some thoughts:

1.) If you think your ancient languages are your problem, do a post-bac. The Penn program I know for a fact has been HUGELY successful at placing candidates. The Georgetown program is also great, and I have no personal experience of other places (UCLA, UNC), though I'm sure they are also great programs. I don't think there's a ton of funding (if any) available for post-bacs, but if you really think that a weak background in ancient languages is the one thing keeping you from making it to the short list, then I think the post-bac is the logical choice (especially since the financial commitment is not terrible).

2.) Where do you stand with your modern languages? You should definitely be at a point with one of your modern languages that you can pass the reading exam immediately, and it would behoove you to have some background in a second modern language if you don't already. A great way to demonstrate your modern language skills would be to ensure that you have some foreign scholarship listed in the biblio. of your writing sample.

3.) Once the application season is over, sit down with somebody and go through your writing sample. When I was interviewing for programs, my writing sample was the one thing that continuously came up in conversation. One DGS told me that the writing sample is, for them, the most important piece of the application, and they are always looking for people who can demonstrate not only a sophisticated writing style, but also an ability to forward and support new and interesting ideas (as opposed to rehashing the same arguments that have been bandied about for decades).

4.) Once you start reapplying next year, I would get in touch with professors at the programs to which you are applying, if only to email and say, "Hi, my name is X, I'm interested in Y, and I'm wondering if you think Z university would be a good fit for me." There really is something to be said for "fit" -- both socially and intellectually -- and programs want to create cohorts that are both socially cohesive and intellectually complementary. If somebody you contact tells you early on that she doesn't think Z university is the right place for you, then you can save yourself some money and some potential future frustration.

5.) Don't bother retaking the GRE, unless your scores strike you as SIGNIFICANTLY lower than your abilities would suggest. The GRE is a waste of time and money, I think.

These are, of course, not sure-fire ways of encountering more success next year. These are things that I did when reapplying for programs. I have no idea of really knowing what it was about my application that resulted in a happier outcome the second time around. Also, I would start applying for every single external fellowship or grant that you can find. If you can bring some of your own money with you to a program, that is ALWAYS a plus. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. As for the post-bac, I am only weak in one language, and I'm doing an intensive this summer to rectify that. (I figured out a bit later that I wanted to stick with classics so my Greek needs some work.) My modern languages are good, I'm almost fluent in Italian and am taking intensive German for reading this semester, so I think I'm set with that, although your idea to work that into the bibliography for my writing sample is great. I definitely will do that, as will I get in touch with some of my professors to take a look at strengthening my writing sample. My main question about contacting professors (which I did, and I even went all the way to AIA to meet as many as I could) is how do you ask tactfully "Am I a good fit for your program?" Is it as simple as asking just that?

Thanks again for your advice!

Strongly concur. I'm very surprised at the number of people who feel contacting the professors is a waste of time. If anything, it helped me narrow down my programs of interest from the 21 to 6. I never found a professor who was unwilling to discuss the compatibility of their interests to mine or of the program to me, and it was so helpful in discussing fit in an informed way in the SOP.

My main question about contacting professors (which I did, and I even went all the way to AIA to meet as many as I could) is how do you ask tactfully "Am I a good fit for your program?" Is it as simple as asking just that?

To be honest, I think it really is as sample as asking "Am I a good fit for your program?" I think it would be prudent in your lead-up to this question to have expressed your own impression of the program, referencing your familiarity with the type of scholarship coming from professors in that program and highlighting in what ways you feel like your own academic interests are reflected in this scholarship. I think my emails went something along the lines of, "Dear Professor X, blah blah blah In conducting research for my writing sample, I have found your work, especially X, Y, and/or Z, to be particularly illuminating for my analysis of the blah; the more I pursue this line of inquiry, the more I find myself drawn to these ideas, and I feel like you would make an ideal mentor for me as I pursue my graduate studies, etc. I'm wondering if you think that I would be a good fit for your program." I suppose that, personally, I don't see any reason to beat around the bush; completing an application (as I'm sure you are well aware) is not only expensive, but is also a huge drain on your time and mental energies. Might as well find out early on if it's worth completing the application.

One potential caveat (and perhaps something to check for in your current personal statement): while it is absolutely vital that you articulate some clear research interests in your personal statement (and in your correspondences with professors), you also don't want to pigeon-hole yourself. This, I think, was one of my mistakes the first time around, since my personal statement (in retrospect) depicted an individual who already had made up his mind not only about what ancient author he wanted to study, but also which texts by that author he wanted to study -- a regrettably poor choice. The second time around, I articulated multiple research interests, highlighting the range of projects I was working on (doing one thing with my Master's thesis, doing something else with a conference paper), and made sure that the admissions committee knew that, while I did have some particular questions in mind that I wanted to explore in graduate school, I also wasn't wed to those questions alone.

So, stick with it. Your summer plans sound wise. Incidentally, I don't see my program on the list of schools you applied to. While I may be on the lit. side of things, I am very aware of the status of our archaeology program, which is absolutely right up there with the schools to which you applied. What do you study?

So, stick with it. Your summer plans sound wise. Incidentally, I don't see my program on the list of schools you applied to. While I may be on the lit. side of things, I am very aware of the status of our archaeology program, which is absolutely right up there with the schools to which you applied. What do you study?