Classics 2010

spozik

Got a rejection letter from UNC today. Goddamn it. 4 down, 2 more to go.

Mine came yesterday. AND I got an additional rejection from UT's graduate college. Why do they feel the need to reject us twice, via email and then via post? Oh, the humanity!

Sucks. I notice you've applied to Virginia as well. I'm wondering if maybe I should send them an email or something to ask about my app. I haven't heard a peep from them. Not good :/

Why oh why dear girl must you twist the knife ;_; Anywho, I did hear Virginia had their visiting weekend awhile ago. So does that mean they're still trying to figure out their situation, or do they pretty much have everything settled. That's why I dread emailing them about my status, only to have them answer "Yeah we haven't gotten back to you cuz we don't want you kthxbai" :/

I know someone who received a rejection from Virginia last week I believe, and UCLA had their visiting week last week. Has anyone heard anything from Columbia? I've noticed that there has been a lot of Columbia GSAS activity in the last week, is the Classics dept just behind everyone else?

I have a paper to write this week, but I'm finding it very hard to be motivated about school right now....

yeah, I'm feeling you're pain on that joe. The Kthxbye email is bound to come from brown soon, as I heard that they dont ever ever ever take anyone who wasnt invited to their interview weekend. So, my rejection is totally a fait accompli. Sidereal, its becoming more and more clear that you must be sometypeof classics ninja. Did you snag one of UW's funding packages? If you'll pardon the shameless prying, do PM me about it. Im just curious, cos I know they werent really going to fund anyone, and you seem to have fared extremely well this season (which is nothing short of amazing, hence the ninja inference.)

lol a classics ninja. Indeed Sidereal is. Anywho, on Virginia's website it says "Successful applicants for fellowship support are usually notified in February and March" so I'm holding on to the tiniest chance that maybe I'm not outright rejected and just waitlisted right now. Meh.

I didn't get a funding package from UW. I know that the money situation there isn't good at all. It was my top choice because I visited in 2008 (also on the alternate list for funding) and I really liked the department, but I think I'm going to have to get over the dream and go somewhere that isn't financially suffering as much (i.e. Texas). Texas by the way was pretty awesome. They have amazing facilities, badass professors in my field, pretty cool grad students, and lots of funding. So if I end up going there it won't be half bad.

I did finally get a rejection from Yale, so I'm not too much of a ninja :P I've decided that I am incapable of being accepted by private schools.

I think UVA is just sitting on its rejections.

Well, kiddos, it's been fun but unfortunately I've received all three of my rejection letters for this cycle. I just wanted to say a big congratulations to everyone who got in this year! Thank you all for being a nice little niche of support and insight and advice. I'm sure I'll be doing more lurking in the coming months, and will definitely be active here for my reapplication stuff. Time to revise my list of schools and figure out what I"m doing with my life in the upcoming year. Good luck, everyone!

Has anyone applied to and heard from USC?

I applied, but haven't heard anything yet. Based on results from previous years, I think it's safe to assume that I have a rejection coming at the end of March. If I work up the courage, I may call or email the department next week.

I applied, but haven't heard anything yet. Based on results from previous years, I think it's safe to assume that I have a rejection coming at the end of March. If I work up the courage, I may call or email the department next week.

Yeah, I'm expecting a rejection since my app has been under reivew for a long time. I'm trying to remain optimistic until I get official word.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Virginia and they said they've made decisions on some people and not on others, and I'm one of those they haven't yet made a decision on :huh: So I guess in essence I've been waitlisted. Oy.

Who are people still waiting to hear from? I'm still waiting on Columbia and USC.... I emailed both programs about my app, but haven't heard anything definitive yet. I can't believe it's almost April!