What's a good computer for grad school?

Fallapplicant77

Question

In my program we get funding for a laptop so budget doesn't tend to be an issue, and almost everybody has a MacBook Pro. If budget is more of an issue for you, I'm not sure it's worthwhile, although I adore macs. The one place where I would really have run into trouble with a PC is programming in PsychToolbox (in Matlab) -- actually even my old mac Powerbook couldn't handle that, but it wasn't as bad as some newer PCs, and my new MBP works great.

If you can hang on to your old computer for just a few more months, until you know where you're headed next year, it might be worth asking the current students in your future program what they use. (And, of course, seeing about laptop funding from the program as we have in mine.) First of all, they can definitely give you the most accurate suggestions in case it depends on the exact software you will need for coursework and research (which varies somewhat by program), and second, there is some value simply in having the same as everyone else so that you can more easily work together on course assignments and projects.

Edited by socialpsych

I can give you a bunch of suggestions, but you should definitely figure out what you'll be using it for and your budget.

A MBP may be stylish and the OS is nice, but you can spend half of that money on a laptop with the same specs.

I can give you a bunch of suggestions, but you should definitely figure out what you'll be using it for and your budget.

A MBP may be stylish and the OS is nice, but you can spend half of that money on a laptop with the same specs.

I agree, Macs are nice, but not worth it (in my opinion) if you're on a budget...

I have a Sony Vaio, which I love, and take with me to my grad classes. It is a bit more on the pricey end though of PCs. (And I got a white one, so it looks "Mac-ish." I know, I'm such a poser.) To be honest most laptops are fine, assuming you don't need anything fancy (i.e. a graphics card for gaming or something). It can be overwhelming to search for them if you're not a picky computer geek (no offense if you or anyone is!). I found it easiest to prioritize what I was looking for--e.g., long battery life, price, memory, aesthetics, etc.--and go from there.

I would also recommend not getting something with too big of a screen if that's not a priority for you. At least for me (I have a 14"), I find it easier to pack away and take from class to class, and it also fits better on those small desks.

MacBook Pro all the way. I still have the one from when they first came out in 2006, and it's working like new. Never a problem, no spam, spyware, never crashed, never lost data. I had PCs for years before, one lasted 4 years, the other only 2. My husband had PC that got messed up with internet crap after only a few years, and even the tech guys at school couldn't fix it.

Mac

Mac

Mac

Worth the price, you won't have to get another computer again ever

You sound like one of those commercials. To say that you will never have to buy another computer again may be true for certain people. That is if you do nothing except for chatting, surfing the web, watching movies, listening to music, and word processor stuff. If this is all you do, heck you don't even really need a current computer.

Just thought I'd warn you that I will be attacking your statements now:

"MacBook Pro all the way." - You do mean OSX all the way, right? And when you talk about PCs, are you referring to Windows? Linux? Hackintosh?

"I still have the one from when they first came out in 2006, and it's working like new." - I built my PC in 2003 and it still works just as well if not better than it did before. Why is it running better? I upgraded the CPU, added more memory, and installed Windows 7. Was there anything wrong before then? Nope, just wanted more speed and memory for all the other things I do.

"Never a problem, no spam, spyware, never crashed, never lost data." - No spam? Do you mean pop ups or are you referring to spam you receive in your inbox? Spam pop ups are handled by your web browser, which will most likely be Safari in your case. It should have a built-in pop up blocker like most other web browsers. If OSX has never crashed on you, then good for you. It doesn't mean it never crashes at all. Do a search on google and you'll discover that OSX does crash. I have no idea what you mean by never losing data. If by losing data you mean hard drive failure, then that's something wrong with the hardware. Sorry to break to it to you, but Apple doesn't make their own hard drives. It may be Hitachi, Western Digital, Samsung, or Seagate.

"I had PCs for years before, one lasted 4 years, the other only 2." - I have and still use a PC because I've had no issues with it. A PC suits all my needs and it meets my budget. If I were to configure a similar Apple computer to my PC specs then it would cost about $1500 more. I also know what is installed on my PC and never install programs I know nothing about.

/endRant

Anyways just pick whatever fits your needs Fallapplicant77. If you need to use a program that is only available on OSX (Mac), then by all means buy a MBP. Other options may include installing OSX on your laptop, which I will not discuss here. Doing this will not only be cheaper, but you'll have better hardware specs. If you want to learn more about it, just search OSx86 Project. I'd suggest against it unless you're incredibly computer savvy.

If you do go for a Windows laptop, you should do the following:

-Uninstall bloatware - There's a lot of pre-installed programs that you really don't need. There's a program called Decrapifier that will help you get rid of most of the useless programs. I say useless because I have never found a need for any of the programs. If you do a completely clean install where you installed Windows 7 on a blank hard drive, then you don't need to do this.

-Uninstall the included antivirus - Do not, I repeat...DO NOT use the antivirus included even if it is a free year. Most of the time you'll be given Norton or McAfee to use, but these programs are so memory hungry and will really slow down your computer. My own personal favorite antivirus program would be Avast. It is absolutely free and very good at detecting viruses on websites, in files, etc.

-Abandon Internet Explorer and use a different web browser. I would go with either Firefox or Chrome.

I have a MacBook Pro and I like it but I after a while I got tired of the limited software options in OS X. I now dual boot Windows 7 and spend most of my time in the Windows environment. In a way it is like having two computers in one.

Windows 7 is actually a really good OS, and it closes the gap between OS X and Windows. I got a good deal on my MBP, but I wouldn't have paid full price for it. When it comes time to buy my next laptop there is a good chance I won't go Mac again unless the price is right.

Dude. I'm in art history. I love my computer, and I have had some very bad experiences with PCs. I don't mind the rant, as I know some people are sensitive about this stuff. Sorry for mixing up my "computer lingo," but this is not a computer forum, nor a competition, so chill.

I'm an Apple person.

I got the black Macbook for undergraduate in 2006 and it lasted me flawlessly. I have a friend who works at Apple, so I recently upgraded to the new 15" Mac Book Pro, and I absolutely love it.

Apples are definitely more expensive, however, they are a lot better quality. It totally depends on your budget, but you can get a good 5 to 6 years out of an Apple, so keep that in mind, too!

I recently just bought my partner a new PC desktop so that he can play games better, etc, and I got similar specs as my laptop - 2.8ghz core 2 duo, 1gig gpu, 4gigs ram, etc - and my MBP just feels snappier, nicer, etc. The computer itself also feels better built and sturdier. It really is like buying a BMW or a Kia.

If you can afford it, I'd say get a Macbook Pro. If you're wanting to spend less, you can get a new Macbook for $999 ($950 I believe, if you have an education discount) or you can get a PC from around $500 on up. Whichever you get, make sure that you buy their support plan, AppleCare or like HP extended warranty, as it will save you a lot of money down the line. I bought Applecare in 2006 for something like $120, and I ended up getting around $900 of maintenance for free. It's well worth it.

Second note,

I noticed somebody said battery life. The Macbook gets up to 7 hours of battery life and the Macbook Pro can get up to 8 hours. That is surfing the Internet, etc, not just on idle. On mine I get about 6.5 hours of wireless use, and about 5 hours of video use. If you play World of Warcraft, I run it on ultra and get about 3 hours of battery life.

All in all, you should go to a Best Buy - assuming you're American - and play around with a few PCs, and you should go to an Apple store or maybe at Best Buy and play around with a few Macbooks and Macbook Pros.

I can't emphasize enough the different in quality in the computers, though. You really get what you pay for.

Meow to the anti-Mac tirade!

I made the switch to a Mac after being so frustrated by PCs constantly falling apart, needing maintenance, having virus/spyware problems, etc. I realize that PCs are better for some people and suit their purposes better, but I am really happy with my first generation MacBook Pro and will definitely be getting another Apple (probably just a MacBook--I realized I don't need all the extra power of the Pro) when I next get a new lappy. And I recommend them very highly. Yes, Macs are much more expensive upfront, but they have far fewer problems, you don't have to buy expensive software just to make them run well, as they run well on their own, they last a long time, they are sturdy, and Apple reaaaally tends to take care of their customers well for maintenance, etc. I also HATE Windows. New version, old version, whatever.

It really is like buying a BMW or a Kia.

I agree with this. I think it's silly when people claim that the only benefit to a Mac is style. Yeah, style is one reason that someone would get a BMW over a Kia, but another big reason is quality. For me, I like Macs because I think the quality is just so much higher. Yes, you can get a very high-quality PC, but it too will cost you a pretty penny.

Well, I'm not one of those proselytizing Cult of Apple nuts, but I am a convert and will recommend a Mac if someone asks for my opinion. So, re: OP's question, it really depends on what you're looking for. I realize now that, personally, I don't need all the power of a MacBook Pro, so I would say just go for a MacBook unless you're going to be doing a lot of video editing and such (I do music editing, but even just a MacBook is fine for that). DON'T get a MacBook Air. It's stupid, useless, and overpriced. And get Apple Care.

I'm an Apple person.

I got the black Macbook for undergraduate in 2006 and it lasted me flawlessly. I have a friend who works at Apple, so I recently upgraded to the new 15" Mac Book Pro, and I absolutely love it.

Apples are definitely more expensive, however, they are a lot better quality. It totally depends on your budget, but you can get a good 5 to 6 years out of an Apple, so keep that in mind, too!

I recently just bought my partner a new PC desktop so that he can play games better, etc, and I got similar specs as my laptop - 2.8ghz core 2 duo, 1gig gpu, 4gigs ram, etc - and my MBP just feels snappier, nicer, etc. The computer itself also feels better built and sturdier. It really is like buying a BMW or a Kia.

If you can afford it, I'd say get a Macbook Pro. If you're wanting to spend less, you can get a new Macbook for $999 ($950 I believe, if you have an education discount) or you can get a PC from around $500 on up. Whichever you get, make sure that you buy their support plan, AppleCare or like HP extended warranty, as it will save you a lot of money down the line. I bought Applecare in 2006 for something like $120, and I ended up getting around $900 of maintenance for free. It's well worth it.

Just wondering what this $900 in maintenance that Apple provided you with. Is it like Best Buy where they charge you $130 just to hook up a bluray player to your tv?

Your partner's new PC desktop was probably bought from Dell or the likes I'm assuming so it must have been pre-installed with bloatware. Apple is pretty good with their stuff about not including all the useless stuff from other companies. Tell your partner to uninstall unnecessary things and to make sure not every single program is running at the start.

Also, I don't have anything against a Mac. Just the ideas that it is superior in every way to a PC. OSX has its good points, Windows does too. They both have their own bad points and depending on how you look at it will determine which one would be best suited for you. I like to play games, do computer graphics work, and not have to bend over for

@Pamphilia - Not sure what you mean by very high-quality PC. I spent under $1000 for my computer and all high quality components: i7 920, gtx 260, 1tb western digital hdd, ocz 6gb memory, etc. Here is a Mac with specs close to mine ($3300): http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

And good for you that you converted, I almost bought myself a MBP a few months ago. But I realized that it really wasn't for me. I think the census here is that if you want a stress-free computer that works right out of the box, then definitely go with Mac. Another question is what expensive software are you referring to? I'm also not a Windows cult nut. I don't go out and buy the latest thing they release nor do I stick to their hardware either. If I think they should get a Mac based on their needs, then I'd suggest that.

I just got myself a new laptop for the start of grad school. I fooled around with a Mac but decided it wasn't worth the money so I got a PC. Friends also tell me that Macs don't support all of the foreign languages I need, so it can be annoying to get everything to work. I had another PC before that that lasted me 5 years through my BA and MA, it never crashed or lost data or anything like that. I gave it to my mother and she uses it on a daily basis; it still works pretty well. The only thing is that the battery doesn't last for very long, it takes a while to load when I open it, and after 5 years I wanted better specs. But really, for a user like myself who only needs text setting software and a web browser, I don't think it's worth it to spend so much money on a computer that has fancy features I don't even need.

Edited by fuzzylogician

Joro, hackintosh? Off to Google!

Also, I never like Avast. I think it would make my computer run slow, and it seems like it talked to me. I hate talking programs. I switched to Threatfire and have been happy with it.

Do you have those issues with Avast?

fuzzylogician: If it takes a while to load, try finding out what services run at start up. Make sure it is nothing she needs. That's very much what makes PCs run slow at start up. If you don't do too much, you might consider getting a netbook.

captiv8ed: I've always found Avast to be pretty lightweight compared to other Anti-virus programs. I install it on all my computers and haven't had any problems. And lightweight doesn't mean it doesn't do a good job. The talking update can get pretty annoying at times, but you can always set it so that it doesn't let you know whenever it has been updated. Threatfire looks pretty interesting too, I may look into it. Just thought I'd mention that I am a big supporter of free software alternatives.

All these comments are so helpful. It's a good suggestion to try to hold onto my dying computer for a few more months, in case there are program specific factors to consider. Also, if I'm rejected everywhere, perhaps I wont need a computer at all!! (looking on the bright side)

I forgot about the fact that this post might induce a Mac vs. PC debate. Some interesting points made on both sides of the aisle!

Thanks everyone!

I'm an apple person...

BUT

I've never had a laptop last longer than 1-2 years, and maintenance on them has cost me hundreds. They have major issues with their batteries (overheating, causing fires, needing to be replaced JUST after the warranty expires), also their power plugs are very delicately made - more for looks than utility and if you aren't careful they are very easy to break (this has gotten better since they've utilized the magnet feature but still not great and they're pricey to replace). My laptops have died from multiple failures (a ti book with admitted design flaws, an IBook whose hard drive had a melt down when it was only a year old), and then my macbook - even the Genius Bar people and a third party repair company couldn't tell me what went wrong with it - they just kept suggesting I buy batteries/hard drives/etc. until I figured out what exactly was wrong (HA! This was like...100s of dollars with a very limited return policy). I also know several other people who had very similar problems with their mac laptops. I haven't heard any of these complaints about the desktops though. If you get a laptop try to be as gentle as possible on it, and minimize transport... mine went with me everywhere and I think this was a major part of the problem.

I finally went and bought a 300 dollar PC and even though it angers me frequently with it's lack of user friendly nature and the annoyance of virus protection pop ups, it has yet to cost me any extra money. I will say - If I had the money right now to buy another one, I would probably foolishly do so because OSX is just so completely superior to Windows in it's ease of use that it's almost worth the money.

fuzzylogician: If it takes a while to load, try finding out what services run at start up. Make sure it is nothing she needs. That's very much what makes PCs run slow at start up. If you don't do too much, you might consider getting a netbook.

Thanks :) My laptop is my only computer and it's where I do all of my work. I need a good sized memory for all my research files, not to mention my music and dvds. This is what I use at the office for work and at home for recreation, and I don't think you can rely on a netbook as your only computer.

Actually, I take good care of my laptops - I remove bloatware and disable unneeded startup processes, I occasionally clear out my temp files and cookies, I defragment my disc every so often, I don't eat or drink near the computer, I uninstall and reinstall software I think might be taking up too much memory. With the old computer, what slowed the computer down ended up being firefox - version 2 had a big memory leak and version 3 for some reason couldn't run on my computer. I ended up downloading chrome. It helped but it still didn't work as fast as I would have liked so I finally decided 5 years was enough for a computer and it was time to get a new one. It was still taking the computer a good 5 minutes to warm up and it's not like I could ask my professors to wait.. My mom was looking to buy a netbook so I just gave her my computer. The university gives students discounts and US prices are pretty cheap (at least compared to what I'm used to) so I though it was a good deal all around. But yeah, the new computer came with a shitload of preinstalled crap; it took a while to clean it up.

Just wondering what this $900 in maintenance that Apple provided you with. Is it like Best Buy where they charge you $130 just to hook up a bluray player to your tv?

Your partner's new PC desktop was probably bought from Dell or the likes I'm assuming so it must have been pre-installed with bloatware. Apple is pretty good with their stuff about not including all the useless stuff from other companies. Tell your partner to uninstall unnecessary things and to make sure not every single program is running at the start.

Also, I don't have anything against a Mac. Just the ideas that it is superior in every way to a PC. OSX has its good points, Windows does too. They both have their own bad points and depending on how you look at it will determine which one would be best suited for you. I like to play games, do computer graphics work, and not have to bend over for

@Pamphilia - Not sure what you mean by very high-quality PC. I spent under $1000 for my computer and all high quality components: i7 920, gtx 260, 1tb western digital hdd, ocz 6gb memory, etc. Here is a Mac with specs close to mine ($3300): http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

And good for you that you converted, I almost bought myself a MBP a few months ago. But I realized that it really wasn't for me. I think the census here is that if you want a stress-free computer that works right out of the box, then definitely go with Mac. Another question is what expensive software are you referring to? I'm also not a Windows cult nut. I don't go out and buy the latest thing they release nor do I stick to their hardware either. If I think they should get a Mac based on their needs, then I'd suggest that.

My partner"s PC is an HP. I already uninstalled everything. Thanks for the heads up, though! :)

The 900 was because my 2006 macbook had a case problem that manifested itself a few years after I got it. It was sort of common with that gen of macbook, and I think Apple would have replaced it for free anyhow. It said charge was 900$ but waived b/c of Apple Care.

I've also had my Ethernet adapter replaced, too.

My partner"s PC is an HP. I already uninstalled everything. Thanks for the heads up, though! :)

The 900 was because my 2006 macbook had a case problem that manifested itself a few years after I got it. It was sort of common with that gen of macbook, and I think Apple would have replaced it for free anyhow. It said charge was 900$ but waived b/c of Apple Care.

I've also had my Ethernet adapter replaced, too.

Ouch, a case problem. If I were charged $900 for the case, I would probably just get a MacBook Pro on the spot instead of paying for that. Good thing it was waived though and good reason to stick with Apple Care.

Edited by joro

Another Apple user here.

Currently using a loaded late-'08 unibody MBP, and also have a base Rev. B Macbook Air I picked up last January as a secondary/work computer.

I've used Windows for years, and like them, and never had any problems. But I got curious to try a Mac once I was no longer restrained by engineering coursework and software, and I'll never look back.

Also joro--you should know that unfortunately your i7 is a desktop i7 crammed improperly into a laptop, resulting in high heat and poor battery life. Intel is releasing the proper mobile i7 "Arrandale" quad-cores on January 7th--and you will see the proper mobile versions inside the Apple later this month when they get their massive update to the new quad-core architecture, unlike all the PC manufacturers who have rushed to slop whatever desktop i7 version they can into a space not designed to handle the processor's TDP and thus heat of the processor in a system that doesn't even have the power to drive it, short of killing battery life by a substantial margin.

And to the girl who said the Macbook Air was junk, you're terribly misinformed. For the VAST majority of people, it is perfectly capable of being a primary computer with the 2.13 GHz duo-core and SSD. In fact, if your computer doesn't have an SSD, I *guarantee* the Air is the faster computer. Hell, even my 1.6 GHz/120 GB HDD Air is more than suitable for nearly every task. It can run Photoshop etc. and even Final Cut Pro without so much as a hiccup. The original Rev. A Air circa January 2008 WAS junk, but the Rev. B with the NVIDIA chipset released later in 2008 fixed all of the problems that plagued the original Air, and the current version is the Rev. C, with another update imminent. It's an amazing secondary computer, and would easily serve my needs as a primary machine with no problems. An SSD makes those computers fly.

Anyway, OP, get what suits your needs, but if you have any questions at all about Apple, let me know--I do my research and know quite a substantial amount, and I'd suggest that whatever you do buy, you do your homework on before making the purchase to make sure you are getting something good; as an example, Intel processor architecture only changes every 2-4 years, and the change to move away from the long-standing "Penryn" Core2Duos to the new "Clarksfield/Nehalem/Arrandale" quad-cores is happening next week. Definitely a change worth waiting a little longer for.

Edited by gazelle

Oh, pants.

I think it is totally ridiculous how any discussion regarding computers--even one that, unlike this one, is purely based on objective, technical stats--gets heated so quickly. They are machines, not our mothers.

Anyway, to the "boy" or "girl" who got annoyed with me for insulting the Macbook Air: Look, I actually agree that it's a terrifically cool machine. I agree that it would be a fantastic secondary computer, particularly for someone who travels a lot. I agree it's superfast. I also TOTALLY want one. However, after coming very close to purchasing one myself (and therefore doing substantial research and talking to a lot of Apple experts) a few months ago, I would very much disagree that the Air would be a perfectly adequate primary computer (even for me, and I honestly don't need anything special), especially given its high price. Granted, in my previous post I was very negative about the Air and didn't qualify my negativity or contextualize it in anyway, largely because I didn't feel like writing a paragraph on the Air, and I still don't. Computer talk bores me, and no doubt I would piss someone off no matter how careful I was to be friendly or how technical I kept the talk. So, I'm not going to get into the specifics about why it wouldn't be a good primary computer or practical given the cost. I'm going to peace out.

Peace out.

Edited by Pamphilia

Oh, pants.

I think it is totally ridiculous how any discussion regarding computers--even one that, unlike this one, is purely based on objective, technical stats--gets heated so quickly. They are machines, not our mothers.

Anyway, to the "boy" or "girl" who got annoyed with me for insulting the Macbook Air: Look, I actually agree that it's a terrifically cool machine. I agree that it would be a fantastic secondary computer, particularly for someone who travels a lot. I agree it's superfast. I also TOTALLY want one. However, after coming very close to purchasing one myself (and therefore doing substantial research and talking to a lot of Apple experts) a few months ago, I would very much disagree that the Air would be a perfectly adequate primary computer (even for me, and I honestly don't need anything special), especially given its high price. Granted, in my previous post I was very negative about the Air and didn't qualify my negativity or contextualize it in anyway, largely because I didn't feel like writing a paragraph on the Air, and I still don't. Computer talk bores me, and no doubt I would piss someone off no matter how careful I was to be friendly or how technical I kept the talk. So, I'm not going to get into the specifics about why it wouldn't be a good primary computer or practical given the cost. I'm going to peace out.

Peace out.

I'm a "boy".

No Apple computer is practical on a basis of cost.

Like I said though, it runs the Adobe suite and Final Cut Pro with no problems, and that's on a base model, with a 500+ MHz deficiency compared to the current top offering and a mere 4200 RPM HDD. Not sure what it is you do with your machines in grad school where that wouldn't be sufficient if it can run the programs I run. It even boots into Vista just fine since it has 1067 MHZ DDR3 RAM (2 GB, will be bumped to 4 GB in the next update).

But like you said--you have no experience with it but are convinced it's a horrid machine for a primary computer and didn't qualify your initial negative remarks, and I have experience with the Air suggesting otherwise. So given my first-hand experience, I respectfully disagree.

Like anything, computers aren't always about getting the absolute most for the dollar. If that were the case we'd all wear $2 shirts and enjoy $3 cars.

Anyway, I digress. OP, what are your needs? Are you going into chemical engineering and going to need to run HYSYS and other process equipment simulators? Or are you going into humanities where you mainly will be researching journals and PDFs on the internet? If you tell us your program and what you will be doing, we can offer suggestions best tailored to your needs.

Edited by gazelle

Another Apple user here.

Currently using a loaded late-'08 unibody MBP, and also have a base Rev. B Macbook Air I picked up last January as a secondary/work computer.

I've used Windows for years, and like them, and never had any problems. But I got curious to try a Mac once I was no longer restrained by engineering coursework and software, and I'll never look back.

Also joro--you should know that unfortunately your i7 is a desktop i7 crammed improperly into a laptop, resulting in high heat and poor battery life. Intel is releasing the proper mobile i7 "Arrandale" quad-cores on January 7th--and you will see the proper mobile versions inside the Apple later this month when they get their massive update to the new quad-core architecture, unlike all the PC manufacturers who have rushed to slop whatever desktop i7 version they can into a space not designed to handle the processor's TDP and thus heat of the processor in a system that doesn't even have the power to drive it, short of killing battery life by a substantial margin.

And to the girl who said the Macbook Air was junk, you're terribly misinformed. For the VAST majority of people, it is perfectly capable of being a primary computer with the 2.13 GHz duo-core and SSD. In fact, if your computer doesn't have an SSD, I *guarantee* the Air is the faster computer. Hell, even my 1.6 GHz/120 GB HDD Air is more than suitable for nearly every task. It can run Photoshop etc. and even Final Cut Pro without so much as a hiccup. The original Rev. A Air circa January 2008 WAS junk, but the Rev. B with the NVIDIA chipset released later in 2008 fixed all of the problems that plagued the original Air, and the current version is the Rev. C, with another update imminent. It's an amazing secondary computer, and would easily serve my needs as a primary machine with no problems. An SSD makes those computers fly.

Anyway, OP, get what suits your needs, but if you have any questions at all about Apple, let me know--I do my research and know quite a substantial amount, and I'd suggest that whatever you do buy, you do your homework on before making the purchase to make sure you are getting something good; as an example, Intel processor architecture only changes every 2-4 years, and the change to move away from the long-standing "Penryn" Core2Duos to the new "Clarksfield/Nehalem/Arrandale" quad-cores is happening next week. Definitely a change worth waiting a little longer for.

I did mention that it was a desktop and not a laptop. And I did provide a link to a desktop for comparison.