MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

19 hours ago, jpm said:

I also haven't heard from Ohio University yet, i have a friend who got accepted into Alfred a few days ago. As for Illinois State, i did my undergrad there so if you have any questions about the department feel free to send me a message. 

Was your friend an MFA Ceramics Applicant? Wow, that's awesome! Alfred is the dream!

4 hours ago, dyldyldyl said:

Hey so has anyone in painting heard back from RISD regarding interviews or otherwise??

And is it true that Tyler is not interviewing this year? I feel like I keep on reading conflicting info. 

I emailed the head of the department last week and he told me they wouldn't be interviewing anyone this year/ are still reviewing applications, and we should be hearing back early March. 

2 hours ago, Xndr said:

Still waiting in anticipation for the final call from RCA after my interview two weeks ago, but I got an email from Goldsmiths for an interview on March 16th! Will anyone else be there? Their email was really clear about the interview process and questions (discuss one piece in your portfolio, why did you choose Goldsmiths, and questions you have for them), so I'm much less nervous than for RCA. 

Hi there! I have an interview with RCA in 3 weeks (for MA Visual Comm) and I have no idea what to expect. Could you tell me a little bit about your experience?
I'm extremely nervous .. 

Good luck with Goldsmiths!!

5 hours ago, eyerolling said:

For the international students: do you all have TOEFL? 

With the really bad exchange rate at the time of application, I simply couldn't afford to take the TOEFL.  I received a waiver for it at 3 of the 4 schools I applied for and decided that the one school that didn't want to give the waiver wasn't as important for me (as it is really really hard to get in there - I had no idea if I even stood a change since it is my first time applying for masters) so I decided not to do the TOEFL.  I will probably receive my rejection for that school soon, but they were so rude to me in our email conversations that I don't really see it as a loss.  Luckily I had two really good interviews at really great institutions, so just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. 

Congrats to everyone getting offers and interviews! I have been stressing but it would be worse without all ya'll. 

I got rejects from Yale, Northwestern, and UCONN.

All Painting/Studio 

UCLA, status still says "no decision," I've heard nothing from PennDesign or Hunter. (Or anyone else) status' all say "submitted" or something like that. So I am holding on to some hope 

Just caught up on all the news, took a couple weeks away from the forum.  Glad to see a lot of good news for people!!!  Congrats!!!  And good luck on upcoming interviews!

I'm interviewing at SAIC this weekend!  Anyway else going to be in Chicago?  Maybe there can be a freakout forum meetup?  I'm flying in Friday, I want to get some good sleep for the Saturday morning interview.

I also heard from Cranbrook last week!  I have an interview on the 28th, phone interview.  I ❤️ Cranbrook, it's magic.  I heard Cranbrook can be slow, and I actually was expecting it would take another couple of weeks, so if you're waiting for another dept, it is likely they are still processing apps.  They sent an email saying final decisions by mid April a couple days before I heard from Mark (Fiber AIR).

Tyler, I had an interview end of January.  No follow up yet.  I'm assuming waitlist, but no idea. Fibers did interviews.  It's interesting to see people have been getting notices on Fridays.  Mine came in on Tuesday (Tyler), Wednesday (SAIC), Thursday (Cranbrook).

Still waiting to hear back from VCU (Fibers and Material Studies) and Washington University in St. Louis (WashU).  I just emailed VCU to check the timeline status.  Haven't seen anyone else mentioning FMS programs on here, and saw a couple folks have received interviews/acceptances/rejections from other programs.

Joining the Forum now!

International here. I have applied to 15 schools (I know, poor my recommenders!). Applied to Art / Visual Art / Fine Art / Painting

Congratulations on everyone! I know the MFA in most schools are a tough spot to even get an interview... hope we all find the right school for our artistic and career goals! 

Sharing the status now:

Rejected by Yale, Rutgers, Northwestern, Carnegie Mellon, and UC Berkeley

accepted by Penn State, Syracuse

Waitlisted by University of Chicago (bummer, U of C was my first choice)

Interviewed by UT Austin, SMFA Boston

Waiting to be interviewed by Cornell, SAIC, and Hunter

Waiting for the result from WashU and UIC.

Anyone heard from WashU and UIC?

Also, those who are interviewed by Hunter in the coming weeks, how many piece of new works are you submitting? I've been slow on production so I have only one painting that I can present to them. Though, they are saying "the mix of old and new" so I'm thinking of submitting a few from the ones I omitted. 

Again, good luck everyone! willing to share tips on Cornell if anyone's interested. Mine is on 27th.

Edited by 7edkim

Photo people! Has anyone in photography heard back from RISD or SAIC (interview/decision)?

My current status:

Yale-rejected

UC Berkely-rejected

Parsons-interview 2/9

SFAI-interview 2/23

Waiting for RISD, SAIC, SVA, UCLA, Cornell 

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews ! + Good luck everyone (including myself (-:  ) ! 

Since everyone is giving updates: 

International student. Applied at 5 schools for painting: 

Yale - rejected 

UT Austin - interviewed February 1st 

Pratt Institute - interviewed February 20th

VCU - rejected 

UCLA - no news, but expecting rejection since I didn't get a TOEFL waiver from UCLA and didn't do the TOEFL (got the waiver from the other institutions).  

20 hours ago, Vespertine said:

Most artists have day jobs, even some of the ones you might think of as "successful" artists, so don't worry about it being a stupid idea! It's totally reasonable. 

Portfolio reviews are events where you bring a portfolio of your work to receive feedback, both on the work itself and on the way you have selected and arranged it. If there are particular schools you are interested in, you can also learn more about their programs and connect with some of the professors. The graduate portfolio review days were in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco in 2016 (http://portfolioday.net/graduate-events).

I don't think any of the schools you listed participated, but it's a helpful event regardless, especially if you never had to put together portfolios as an undergrad. Plus (at least for photographers, can't speak for painting/sculpture) there are plenty of portfolio reviews that aren't connected to grad schools, or you could look for other events in your area meant to connect artists. A lot of the people who studied art in undergrad might have a leg up in terms of knowing how to present and (especially) write about their work. 

Thanks so much for the useful information. I may participate in the graduate portfolio review next year.

16 hours ago, dunton said:

Some word on UC Riverside here.  Got a call yesterday from Yunhee Min telling me I got waitlisted.  So, I think they've made decisions.  She was incredibly nice and explained they only had 4 positions this year.  Still holding out hope someone will drop and I can get in! Anyone get in? 

Northwestern interview 2/25

Cornell interview 3/6

University of Wisconsin waitlisted

UC Riverside waitlisted

Good for you. Thanks for sharing :). As I haven't heard anything from them, I think I should consider myself as a rejected person. 

17 hours ago, eyerolling said:

For the international students: do you all have TOEFL? 

I think a lot of schools are quite flexible with the deadline if you talk to them in advance, but you would still have to meet their requirements.

I did my undergrad in the UK so I got a waiver for most schools. Though, CMU made it very clear to me that they would very much need the score through ETS. Some schools had vague phrases like "institution with American education system" or "usually not waived" so I just called them up, explained the situation and got (earned!) the waiver (e.g. Syracuse, WashU St. Louis, etc). If you are applying to schools in the UK, they would give you a conditional offer and extra time to meet the requirements, usually even until August- except you would have to take IELTS for England.

Edited by 7edkim

7 hours ago, hihello326 said:

Photo people! Has anyone in photography heard back from RISD or SAIC (interview/decision)?

My current status:

Yale-rejected

UC Berkely-rejected

Parsons-interview 2/9

SFAI-interview 2/23

Congratulations to everyone getting interviews ! + Good luck everyone (including myself (-:  ) ! 

As far as I can tell, RISD hasn't sent out interview requests for anyone in photo yet (or painting, sculpture, printmaking for that matter...)

I have a Skype interview for SAIC photo tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, hihello326 said:

My current status:

Yale-rejected

UC Berkely-rejected

Parsons-interview 2/9

SFAI-interview 2/23

hey congrats on the interviews! photo went out two weeks ago and interviews are this saturday. they might accept without an interviews, especially if you are international. that would probably go out next week. I hope it will be positive news!!  

1 hour ago, Vespertine said:

As far as I can tell, RISD hasn't sent out interview requests for anyone in photo yet (or painting, sculpture, printmaking for that matter...)

I have a Skype interview for SAIC photo tomorrow. 

Thanks for the information and congrats on the interview! Good luck with SAIC :)

1 hour ago, tugbamina_871 said:

hey congrats on the interviews! photo went out two weeks ago and interviews are this saturday. they might accept without an interviews, especially if you are international. that would probably go out next week. I hope it will be positive news!!  

Thanks for sharing the information !  I'm international. I hope I hear something positive next week since SAIC is #1 on my list ! :) ... 

Hi All,

So, for the past couple of weeks I have been lurking on this site, this thread in particular, and have given nothing back in return. Here is where I am...

I applied to:

Yale MFA Studio Art

Columbia MFA Studio Art

NYU Steinhardt MFA Studio Art

Pratt MFA Studio Art

Parsons MFA Studio Art 

I applied with an emphasis in photo for all programs. 

So far, I have heard back from:

Yale - Rejected

Columbia - Just got an email yesterday saying my application is still being reviewed?

NYU - Interview

Pratt - Interview 

Parsons - Interview

Hope this helps the way you guys helped me the past couple of weeks. 

B

Edited by bspesak

1 minute ago, bspesak said:

Hi All,

So, for the past couple of weeks I have been lurking on this site, this thread in particular, and have given nothing back in return. Here is where I am...

I applied to:

Yale MFA Studio Art

Columbia MFA Studio Art

NYU Steinhardt MFA Studio Art

Pratt MFA Studio Art

Parsons MFA Studio Art 

I applied with an emphasis in photo for all programs. 

So far, I have heard back from:

Yale - Rejected

Columbia - Just got an interview yesterday saying my application is still being reviewed?

NYU - Interview

Pratt - Interview 

Parsons - Interview

Hope this helps the way you guys helped me the past couple of weeks. 

B

Congratulations with all the interviews!!! You're on a roll! 

8 minutes ago, jbsp said:

@bspesak

so the photo in columbia is still in the progress of reviewing?? 

1 minute ago, tugbamina_871 said:

haha almost fell off my chair with hope. i am curious about this too. what exactly did they say?

haha. I wouldn't get your hopes up, sadly. The email said that interview requests had been sent out but they are keeping some applications open until final decisions are made. I have pretty much taken it as, you did not get in. haha

Just now, crembrule said:

@Poodle-Doodle can you please give more info about this ucla finalist email?

Sure, it was just an email saying that I was among the finalist still under consideration for admissions. The email also requested that we chat either Wednesday or Thursday. I did it yesterday, it was pretty much more of a discussion of my work and how it would fit into the program. We skyped for about an hour and fifteen minutes. It fluctuated between us talking intense politics to us laughing things off. Only one downer was when I was asked about other programs that I am looking at, I was so conflicted about answering this question. How would you guys have responded?