MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

Hi all, after an interview for SFAI on 4th Feb, I have not heard anything from other seven schools I applied too.

Finally today I got an interview via email for NYU MFA next Thursday. Hopefully, things will get better from now on. 

I am so anxious right now. Did anyone finish the interview with NYU? It will be great if I know what questions to expect. Thanks!

Updated: Receive interview invite from RISD Photo too. My heart is going to explode.

Edited by LingX22

21 minutes ago, LingX22 said:

Hi all, after an interview for SFAI on 4th Feb, I have not heard anything from other seven schools I applied too.

Finally today I got an interview via email for NYU MFA next Thursday. Hopefully, things will get better from now on. 

I am so anxious right now. Did anyone finish the interview with NYU? It will be great if I know what questions to expect. Thanks!

Are you for painting ? Congrats! I still haven't heard from NYU 

28 minutes ago, desertdog said:

Are you for painting ? Congrats! I still haven't heard from NYU 

Hey, thank you! I am doing Photography. From the look of it, they may do it wave by wave, I don't really have much time slot to choose. Only on Thursday and Friday afternoon.

41 minutes ago, LingX22 said:

Hey, thank you! I am doing Photography. From the look of it, they may do it wave by wave, I don't really have much time slot to choose. Only on Thursday and Friday afternoon.

Well another blog member got an interview for painting. I haven't heard anything I'm sure a rejection is coming lol

Got a RISD photo interview request today! 

That's the last of my schools (well, I still haven't heard from Columbia, but it seems that's just a rejection by this point lol). Glad to be done with all the waiting now...

1 hour ago, Gwhar1 said:

Invited to interview at Purchase :) Whoo Hoo! 

Congrats! 

5 hours ago, AKinLA said:

Howdy! 

I got a Yes from the SAIC LOW RES, but no real funding. Last year I was admitted to SAIC painting and drawing, but didn't get enough funding so I focused on the schools with lots of funding this year. 

Still waiting on UC Riverside, Cal State Long Beach. I also applied to Stanford and UCLA, but it's a long shot. 

It's my understanding that UC Riverside and Cal State Long Beach don't contact until the first week of March. Has anyone heard from those schools?

I hope the SAIC interviews go well for those people heading to Chicago tomorrow. Their painting and drawing faculty is pretty incredible. I also had a chance to meet with their new dean earlier this academic year. He's awesome.

Have you gotten funding info from SAIC yet? I've also been accepted into the low-res program, but no funding info yet.

On Thu Feb 23 2017 at 4:55 PM, sylviecerise said:

I wouldn't call it a bad reputation—overall I think SAIC has a good reputation. It's a really big school (the number of MFA students is in the hundreds) and I've heard it described as an MFA factory. Maybe that's where the corporate comparison comes from. It is really expensive—one person per department gets full funding generally, and a few more might get half-funding. I've heard you have to fight for attention. So again, not necessarily a difficult or bad thing for the right personality.

The scene here in Chicago is very dominated by SAIC students, alum, & professors. Sometimes it can feel a little bit like an uphill battle to network & meet other artists. This is the case with every major art scene, but Chicago in particular is very much of a one-school town. People assume I went to SAIC until I tell them otherwise. 

If I wanted to stay in Chicago, I would 100% go to SAIC. Other than the insular scene, Chicago is a great place to be an artist. There's a good amount of global attention, space is cheap, the food scene here is incredible, there's a range of artist-run spaces and white cube galleries, a unique history, and the winters aren't *that* bad. I've been really happy living in Chicago. But the reality is still that the art world in the US is focused in LA & NYC—even artists with really strong connections to Chicago often eventually move.

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers lol. I have a ton of respect for artists who went to SAIC. It just really isn't for everyone. (also as a uchicago alum I do get a lil salty with the amount of attention their students get)

I'm both a SAIC and a UChicago alum and...whoo boy, there is a lot of ego at both schools. Overall though I was very happy with both.

8 hours ago, AKinLA said:

Howdy! 

I got a Yes from the SAIC LOW RES, but no real funding. Last year I was admitted to SAIC painting and drawing, but didn't get enough funding so I focused on the schools with lots of funding this year. 

Still waiting on UC Riverside, Cal State Long Beach. I also applied to Stanford and UCLA, but it's a long shot. 

It's my understanding that UC Riverside and Cal State Long Beach don't contact until the first week of March. Has anyone heard from those schools?

I hope the SAIC interviews go well for those people heading to Chicago tomorrow. Their painting and drawing faculty is pretty incredible. I also had a chance to meet with their new dean earlier this academic year. He's awesome.

Hi. I haven't heard from UCR either, but one of the guys here said he received a phone call and has been told he is in waiting list. They have only 4 positions. 

3 hours ago, MonkeyPants said:

Have you gotten funding info from SAIC yet? I've also been accepted into the low-res program, but no funding info yet.

I received a big blue envelope... telling me to submit another document. I'm glad to hear someone else is still waiting, I was beginning to sweat it thinking I didn't get anything. 

12 hours ago, PoMo Blues said:

I received a big blue envelope... telling me to submit another document. I'm glad to hear someone else is still waiting, I was beginning to sweat it thinking I didn't get anything. 

I'm touring the SAIC graduate studios and meeting with the program director on Monday (I've got two equally attractive admits, so the decision is basically going to come down to funding) and I'm hoping they'll have some sort of answer then. I emailed FinAid, but got the form letter saying that they won't send out funding info until after the 3/10 FAFSA deadline. 

Still, I'm like 80% sure that I'll be going to Chicago instead of San Francisco. 

20 hours ago, desertdog said:

Congrats! That's on my list next go around looks like a great program!

The reviews I have heard have been great. A little complaining about walking around between parking, studios, or something but I am going for the tour/interview to see what gives. I am also excited about the MFA/MA dual degree opportunity. 

Edited by Gwhar1

Alfred University: rejected

Washington University: awaiting decision

Ohio University: awaiting decision

University of Arkansas: awaiting decision

Georgia State University: wait listed

1 hour ago, Gwhar1 said:

The reviews I have heard have been great. A little complaining about walking around between parking, studios, or something but I am going for the tour/interview to see what gives. I am also excited about the MFA/MA dual degree opportunity. 

I visited in November & their facilities are crazy!! Everyone was really friendly as well, both students and faculty. The complaints seemed to be for students who commuted from the city—the bus system doesn't seem to run very frequently. It was a little bit of a pain to get there, but the campus itself is nice in that it feels a little reclusive. Hope that you have a good experience when you tour! & congrats!!! :)