MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

19 hours ago, Vespertine said:

Congrats!! That's awesome. 

I honestly haven't heard great things about Pratt or Parsons photo, particularly about the facilities (I would definitely visit all three schools if facilities / equipment availability are important to you). They're both great schools, just lacking a bit for photo grad students. 

Otherwise I would pick based on funding and the work you see coming out of each school! 

18 hours ago, Impartial said:

My understanding is that Parsons has more of a focus on design, and of course, is renown for its fashion program. If you are interested in commercial photography and practical applications of the medium, this may be a good direction to head. Some faculty offer a more fine arts perspective, however, so it depends on who you work with.

Pratt has more of a traditional fine arts approach (critiques vs. portfolios for the job market), and I find the work coming out of NYU to also be in a fine arts direction with the most interdisciplinary allowance of the three schools. Pratt seems to have stronger delineations across their media-specific departments. These are all general observations as I haven't studied at any of these schools, but I have guest-critiqued/lectured in entry-level classes at Parsons. 

Photography covers such a broad arena of interests, that you should focus on the school that will provide you with what you want––whether it's a commercial/design focus or more based on a fine arts practice. 

Thank you both very much for your feedback!

7 minutes ago, Waiters123 said:

@newmanI received a rejection letter last Friday from Arkansas, so hopefully you'll be receiving good news! 

I'm sorry to hear that! What program did you apply for?

4 minutes ago, Waiters123 said:

Has anyone heard from Tulane or GSU for ceramics? 

I got an email on February 9th saying that I was being wait-listed for the ceramics program but have not heard back since!

33 minutes ago, newman said:

I got an email on February 9th saying that I was being wait-listed for the ceramics program but have not heard back since!

For Tulane? And for Arkansas I applied for ceramics MFA. What other programs are you looking at? 

7 minutes ago, Waiters123 said:

For Tulane? And for Arkansas I applied for ceramics MFA. What other programs are you looking at? 

Oops, forgot to specify! I got the waitlisted email from GSU. I also applied to University of Washington's 3D4M program (haven't heard back so I'm assuming I didn't get in because other people have posted their acceptances), Alfred University (rejected) and Ohio University (still waiting to hear back)..

I have a friend who heard back from OU Athens - but he applied from the new joint comm/media arts MFA, so I'm not sure how much if any parallel it would bear to their college of fine arts MFA notification schedule. He got rejected - heard 2 weeks ago. 

Been following this forum silently for a while now and thought I should maybe contribute!
I'm a printmaker applying for all printmaking programs.

Here is what my application process has been thus far, I know it is late in the game a bit, but I know many of us (myself included) have been confused by Tyler and they just got back to me.

UTKnoxville
Jan 21st - interviewed via skype
Jan 30th (approximately) - accepted with GTA

Yale
Feb 4th - rejected by email

Rutgers
Feb 10th - invited to interview
March 3rd - interview day at Rutgers

VCU
Feb 21st - rejected by email

Tyler
Today, March 2 - notified I'm a finalist for a position, invited to "informal conversation" over skype or in-person at SGCI

Best wishes to all!!! 

New here!

Waiting on Cornell MFA and Tyler Painting. Seems a little late. Should I start planning for the next round? Congrats to everyone!!!

Edited by This guy

18 minutes ago, NoFingerNailsLeft said:

Oh Columbia, everyone keeps telling me to be patient since they always notoriously late. Been following this forum along quietly. Anyone hear from painting? 

I don't know about painting specifically (photo applicant here), but I'm under the impression that Columbia interview requests for all departments have been sent out already based on the posts in this thread. I'm assuming I got rejected!

6 minutes ago, This guy said:

New here!

Waiting on Cornell MFA and Tyler Painting. Seems a little late. Should I start planning for the next round? Congrats to everyone!!!

I keep seeing people posting that Tyler painting decisions still haven't been released, and that they're accepting without interview requests this year. So it's not over yet! 

Edited by Vespertine

10 minutes ago, Vespertine said:

I don't know about painting specifically (photo applicant here), but I'm under the impression that Columbia interview requests for all departments have been sent out already based on the posts in this thread. I'm assuming I got rejected!

hey @Vespertine I read that too, but I have other friends who have applied and no one's heard anything. Reading the threads from 2015 & 16 most people started hearing in mid March. So I am not sure what to think. 

31 minutes ago, NoFingerNailsLeft said:

hey @Vespertine I read that too, but I have other friends who have applied and no one's heard anything. Reading the threads from 2015 & 16 most people started hearing in mid March. So I am not sure what to think. 

I met people at the Yale photo interview who were invited for an interview at Columbia and were heading there right after. Sorry if this is bad news! Painting might be different.

3 hours ago, This guy said:

New here!

What @vespertine said, I'm still waiting to hear back from Tyler painting as well. Guess we'll find out soon enough. 

No clue what's going on with Tyler seems like they switch up their admission notification process from previous years. Maybe the painting and sculpture folks should here tomorrow or at the very least sometime next week. I can't image them dragging this any further into the month of March, they better not!  Frankly, I thought I would've heard by now, according to the Dept. Chair email early last month, notifications of some kind were supposed to go out the 2nd and 3rd week of Feb, obviously that never happened.  What I know for sure is that both Round 1 & 2 of fellowship nomination deadlines have passed on Feb 3rd & 20th, knowing this it's almost certain they'be made some admission decisions, just no formal notification have been sent out for some reason. 

My life and my studio practice have been on hold pending MFA decisions. Rejection or acceptance, I'll just be happy to know something and get my life back and kickstart a new body of work with a clear mind.