MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

2 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

Got an email this morning from Rutgers asking for my transcript so that I can be placed on the official waitlist. Was kind of weird, it made it seem as though they had already informed me that I had been waitlisted. And someone from Mason Gross admissions told me in January that they had my transcript. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ah well, luckily my undergrad lets us send out transcripts for free ... 

@sylviecerise I just received the email from Rutgers and am also on the wait-list.

"The placement is not a reflection on the merits of your application, but rather a consequence of needing to maintain formal diversity in our smaller program."

Not sure if you received a similar message, but I'll be curious to find out if that means wait-listing isn't ranked rather dependent on various demographic factors as spots open up. A formal letter will follow detailing more about what wait-listed students can expect. 

Got rejections from Minnesota, Tulane, and University of Washington for painting  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Low key hurt but currently making lots of work i'm really into. Appreciate everyone in the forum for all the advice and updates.

I got my BFA in December of 2016; applying next year with some new work. 

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

58 minutes ago, Impartial said:

@sylviecerise I just received the email from Rutgers and am also on the wait-list.

"The placement is not a reflection on the merits of your application, but rather a consequence of needing to maintain formal diversity in our smaller program."

Not sure if you received a similar message, but I'll be curious to find out if that means wait-listing isn't ranked rather dependent on various demographic factors as spots open up. A formal letter will follow detailing more about what wait-listed students can expect. 

Haha, just as I was typing a response I got a similar email; though it didn't have that line about the merits of the application & didn't mention formal diversity. Based on what current students said I'm guessing that it's definitely based on demographics & type of work. But my guess would be that there's some sort of ranking within mediums. 

Yale aid letters are supposed to come out this week. Assuming it's not terrible, I'll be declining my waitlist spot for Rutgers.  

Really really hope a spot opens up for you!!! Based on the language of your email, I would guess you are a top pick on the waitlist. :)  

40 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

Haha, just as I was typing a response I got a similar email; though it didn't have that line about the merits of the application & didn't mention formal diversity. Based on what current students said I'm guessing that it's definitely based on demographics & type of work. But my guess would be that there's some sort of ranking within mediums. 

Yale aid letters are supposed to come out this week. Assuming it's not terrible, I'll be declining my waitlist spot for Rutgers.  

Really really hope a spot opens up for you!!! Based on the language of your email, I would guess you are a top pick on the waitlist. :)  

I hope you receive handsome?  from Yale, and in the meantime, more wait, wait, waiting! B)

Hi Everyone – for those on a wait list or if you may be out of this year's grad school cycle, I thought these two articles are helpful in understanding your circumstances and formulating secondary plans, respectively. 

http://www.idealist.org/info/GradEducation/Resources/Applying/Waitlisted
Good tips about follow-up, setting personal deadlines, and preparing for conclusions. 

http://www.idealist.org/info/GradEducation/Resources/Applying/PlanB
Ideas and resources for a "Plan B" while also working towards strengthening applications for next year.

Hope these are useful! Get outside and enjoy the spring weather. :)

Just got word I'm on the waitlist for the RISD MFA Painting program. Still feels good to have made it this far, and there's the chance I'll still get in, but I won't know if spots open up until mid-late April. 

Just goes to show the random-ness/unpredictability of this whole process. I applied to 7 schools- so far, I only got into one, but a respected program- BU- with a full scholarship. So you might think from that, that I'd also get into any other nice program I applied to, right?

But Hunter and Rutgers flat out rejected me (Hunter, for the third time). Then RISD interviewed me ( this was the first time I applied) , and now I'm on their waitlist, with a decent chance at still getting in. And I'm on Tyler's waitlist from what I've deduced from folks posting on this forum. 

So yes,  this whole process is super random and weird.... and I am so glad it is winding down! 

Hi guys, I need your help in choosing schools!!

I applied for graphic design with math as a major in undergrad, and got into the following schools. Now I am having such a hard time deciding where to go...

CalArts MFA GD 3yrs (20000/yr Scholarship)

CCA MFA Design 3yrs (24000/yr Scholarship)

SVA MFA Design 2yrs

Pratt MFA VCD 2yrs

I am now really choosing between CalArts and CCA. If you guys can give me any advice or insights, I will really really appreciate it!!

HELP.    Do I choose San Francisco Art Institute or California College of the Arts (SF) for painting/ instalation both programs look amazing and large and in the city I need to be in. 

On 3/17/2017 at 4:29 PM, leafyinhaling said:

Anyone heard anything from USC?

Yes, Nao Bustamante called on Monday letting me know about my admissions. I wasn't offered as much funding as noted during the informational sessions. Best of luck to you!

11 hours ago, Aman Gada said:

I've applied at ASU for photography. Has anyone heard anything from them yet? Or anything related to how long its going to take?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I called the office about a week ago and they said admitted students had been notified...it would be nice if they updated the online portal to say something besides 'In Review'

2 hours ago, Pfox said:

HELP.    Do I choose San Francisco Art Institute or California College of the Arts (SF) for painting/ instalation both programs look amazing and large and in the city I need to be in. 

Not that this says anything about the quality of the programs, but have you seen SFAI's new grad studios at the Fort Mason pier?  Woah daddy

11 minutes ago, Jturne12 said:

Not that this says anything about the quality of the programs, but have you seen SFAI's new grad studios at the Fort Mason pier?  Woah daddy

One thing worries me is that the new grad studios are 20 mins away from the campus where the lab and other facilities are located. 

25 minutes ago, LingX22 said:

One thing worries me is that the new grad studios are 20 mins away from the campus where the lab and other facilities are located. 

Still a considerable upgrade when you consider where the studios were before.  I'd take a 20 minute walk (or 5 minute drive) to the pier over a 30 minute drive in traffic to the Dogpatch neighborhood.  It's also a major leg up on CCA, where a lot of facilities are located across the bay in Oakland while all the grad studios are in SF. 

So...assuming that graduate admissions JUST forwarded my application to the review committee after having my file for over a month, when's the best time to contact them again regarding a decision? Should I wait till the end of March?

2 hours ago, AnniKatt said:

So...assuming that graduate admissions JUST forwarded my application to the review committee after having my file for over a month, when's the best time to contact them again regarding a decision? Should I wait till the end of March?

The same thing happened to me with Tyler, and admissions said they'd let the department know, but they had already sent out acceptances. Didn't even get a fair chance. I'm sorry this happened to you as well. :( Wish I had a better answer!

2 hours ago, AnniKatt said:

My friend couldn't pay successfully during appling RIT and he had to redo the whole process...Applying RIT is just full of wonders 

2 minutes ago, Gwhar1 said:

@AnniKattFingers Crossed for u!

@leekrasner what bs- they should refund the fee for sure 

After realizing I hadn't fixed the issue before they sent out acceptances, I feel like I should ask for one at this point. Or to be honest, a fee waiver for next year would be even better! Just not really sur e how to go about it lol.

Should i just quit waiting for SAIC?(applied the MDDO program)

They didn't reply any of my emails,all three of them.

I'm not sure about the situation cause I'm an international applicant, does SAIC just ignore me (cuz I got 98 on TOEFL and they asked for 100) or I've got a slient rejection and they do that to people ?