Business PhD Discussion

acup313

I think (hope?) the interview with Wharton went fine. I was told they'll be interviewing the fourteen shortlisted candidates this and next week and will be meeting to finalize decisions in early March. They'll likely admit around seven and put others on the waitlist.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think (hope?) the interview with Wharton went fine. I was told they'll be interviewing the fourteen shortlisted candidates this and next week and will be meeting to finalize decisions in early March. They'll likely admit around seven and put others on the waitlist.

Gotcha. I wonder why they wait to send everyone else rejections then...I'm sure the rest of us will be getting them soon though.

At the end of a recent interview, I was told that I would receive a decision from the program within two weeks. And then I was handed a student handbook. What do you think this means? Do they give out student handbooks to applicants they may still reject?

At the end of a recent interview, I was told that I would receive a decision from the program within two weeks. And then I was handed a student handbook. What do you think this means? Do they give out student handbooks to applicants they may still reject?

They might do. I have all kinds of materials, handbooks, stationery, even t-shirts from schools where I interviewed last year, and everyone who interviewed there got those (though they certainly didn't take everyone). Congrats on the interview, but I wouldn't read too much into the handbook.

May I ask the schools you are looking at? PM me if you are comfortable. Our names and interests seem to overlap:)

Ah okay. My sense is that it might be a while, though you'd obviously know more for marketing than me. Management is still interviewing this week and is meeting to finalize decisions in early March. You can always contact one of the profs who interviewed you and ask - they're usually pretty open about this kind of thing.

Edited by chimerical

Ah okay. My sense is that it might be a while, though you'd obviously know more for marketing than me. Management is still interviewing this week and is meeting to finalize decisions in early March. You can always contact one of the profs who interviewed you and ask - they're usually pretty open about this kind of thing.

Thanks, Chimerical. Congrats on the fabulous offers you have received so far! I think you will hear good news from Wharton too.

Edited by whitecastle

So I guess we will migrate here..rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif does anyone know what happened to TM?? Nice to see few of you TMers here..cool.gif

This is the time when all happens right? At least last year's posts seem to indicate that..wink.gif Wish for a lot of good news!!!!!!!!!

I e-mailed TM -- the site crashed and they said they have to rebuild it from scratch!!! They estimate it will be back up in a few days...

So TM is migrating here? I'm still waiting to hear from HBS OB - does anyone else have any news? Also, I was interviewed by U Mich Mgmt & Org, but haven't had any follow-up. Is there anyone else who was short-listed by them who has heard one way or another?

You know, I was thinking, once we've all heard and decided, maybe we should introduce ourselves since we're likely to be colleagues in the future.

*waves* I think I recognize a couple of you from another forum. Thought I'd torture myself by joining yet another admissions board. tongue.gif

chimerical, your profile is awesome! Can I ask you which forum you come from? I can hardly find a forum w/ people applying to Business PhD. Can you refer me to those forums?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the info! I hope it will be back soon! rolleyes.gif Yes, I would love to meet everyone once the process is over..and we should form a FB group or something for this year's applicants...I have seen some great profiles and great people, and very supportive ! Chimerical has probably the best profile I have seen around....and is a great member! Helped us all! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

And Chimerical, I do not know if you are close to making a decision..but just to share that I think Chicago is the best city ever..so my 2 cents if that plays any role..rolleyes.gif

The forum in question that most of us came from is test magic phd in business. It is down now, but I guess you can google it. They said it will be up soon.

So, I wish again bunch of luck now for everyone! I have no news as of now for my schools, but I will be posting here once I know something and until TM gets back.

Edited by midwest_phd

Aw thanks guys, that's very kind of you. There are a lot of great people in this year's batch and I'm hoping we'll all end up with some nice options. And lol midwest, Chicago is an awesome city, I'll grant you that. wink.gif

Can I ask you which forum you come from? I can hardly find a forum w/ people applying to Business PhD. Can you refer me to those forums?

A lot of us are migrating here from the TestMagic, which recently crashed. With luck it'll be back soon, since it's a fantastic resource and has what is probably the largest online population of business PhD applicants.

Here's the URL, assuming it stays the same whenever it returns: http://www.urch.com/forums

Edited by chimerical

Hey guys! I'm glad to see a bunch of us have migrated from TM. I found out yesterday I got my admit to Kellogg MECS!! I'm super excited and now I'm just thinking about everything I need to find out during flyouts to figure out where I'll be next year...

Congrats Sarebear! You have some great choices!

I could use some opinions on something. I have two offers so far (and feeling pretty lucky/happy about those). I am leaning towards one school which has a better "brand name" and seems really supportive and great and another with smaller brand name, but larger stipend. The thing is, i think I'll take "school A", but haven't actually been to both schools yet. School A has offered to pay for me to visit and meet with everyone and School B will set things up if I choose to visit, but will not pay for any of it. How important do you think it is to visit before ruling something out? Should I spend the money to go visit School B?

That's awesome news sarebear, congratulations!! I remember how nervous you were about that interview - so glad it turned out well! :D Like I said on TM I think MECS is a fantastic fit for you given your interest in both applied econ and strategy.

Thanks! I agree ... plus it's very integrated with Northwestern Econ which is stellar at IO and if I decide that's the route of research I want to take, then there are a lot of resources there. Who knows?!?! Any thoughts about how you'll figure out where you'll end up? Obviously fit matters in terms of research that the professors are doing and what not but any other things you will look for?

I'd visit both schools if at all possible. Personality-based fit is hard to judge over the phone. It's also good to see what the environment is like first hand and decide whether you could see yourself there for five years.

That's not to say I think a visit is 100% necessary for every school you're considering, as there may be legitimate issues with work, distance, cost, etc. And schools often put on their best front for recruiting visits, so what you see may not actually be what you get. But if it's feasible to visit both, I would do it.

I'd visit both schools if at all possible. Personality-based fit is hard to judge over the phone. It's also good to see what the environment is like first hand and decide whether you could see yourself there for five years.

That's not to say I think a visit is 100% necessary for every school you're considering, as there may be legitimate issues with work, distance, cost, etc. And schools often put on their best front for recruiting visits, so what you see may not actually be what you get. But if it's feasible to visit both, I would do it.

Yeah, I agree. I plan on visiting all 3 schools within 2 weeks -- so it will be a crazy couple of weeks but hopefully I will get a good sense of which program will be best for me.