Business PhD Discussion

acup313

Thanks! I agree ... plus it's very integrated with Northwestern Econ which is stellar at IO and if I decide that's the route of research I want to take, then there are a lot of resources there. Who knows?!?! Any thoughts about how you'll figure out where you'll end up? Obviously fit matters in terms of research that the professors are doing and what not but any other things you will look for?

Yup, there definitely seems to be lots of crossover between the Kellogg and Northwestern Econ groups, so it's almost like two programs for the price of one. wink.gif But HBS and Haas are great too, of course, so it's not like you can really go wrong.

Besides research fit, I think it also helps to look at curriculum, placement record, breadth of faculty expertise, teaching requirements, and opportunities for research experience on the academic side, and personality-based fit with faculty and students, location, cost-of-living in relation to your stipend, and typical social life (for your age group) on the quality-of-life side. Ultimately though every program will have its pros and cons, so in the end I think it'll come down to what feels right more than anything else. Trust your instincts. smile.gif

Edited by chimerical

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, there definitely seems to be lots of crossover between the Kellogg and Northwestern Econ groups, so it's almost like two programs for the price of one. wink.gif But HBS and Haas are great too, of course, so it's not like you can really go wrong.

Besides research fit, I think it also helps to look at curriculum, placement record, breadth of faculty expertise, teaching requirements, and opportunities for research experience on the academic side, and personality-based fit with faculty and students, location, cost-of-living in relation to your stipend, and typical social life (for your age group) on the quality-of-life side. Ultimately though every program will have its pros and cons, so in the end I think it'll come down to what feels right more than anything else. Trust your instincts. smile.gif

Thanks! That's a helpful checklist of things to think about and the advice I needed to hear!! :rolleyes:

No problem! Another thing I forgot to mention is that I've found that some faculty are very willing to speak candidly about their program in relation to others. And they don't always say theirs is the obvious choice! It's not something you should bring up, but if they offer to discuss other programs definitely take them up on it. This is a small academic community and faculty at others school can have some useful insights, especially since you'll likely be looking for a job from them in five years or so. ;)

I visited most of the schools I applied to before I applied, and I learned a lot from the visit that wasn't visible in other ways. School/dept cultures can be radically different, and I believe it's important to have a good fit to reach one's full potential. For me there were clearly some schools where I felt like I would advance further as a scholar than others.

If you're on a very tight budget, I would visit school A and see if the fit is good and you'll be happy there. If you leave feeling great about the program, then you could skip B, but if you leave with any doubts or hesitations, schedule a visit to B right away.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!

No problem! Another thing I forgot to mention is that I've found that some faculty are very willing to speak candidly about their program in relation to others. And they don't always say theirs is the obvious choice! It's not something you should bring up, but if they offer to discuss other programs definitely take them up on it. This is a small academic community and faculty at others school can have some useful insights, especially since you'll likely be looking for a job from them in five years or so. wink.gif

Actually, one of the big reasons I am hesitating to spend the money to visit school B is because when I called a former student of theirs who is now a very successful professor at another school and told her which schools I was choosing between she essentially told me to go to school A. But later a current student from school B called and was really nice and said some good things about school B so I'm hesitating to rule it out entirely.

Sigh. Choices are nice. :rolleyes: I'm having a silly little why-did-I-apply-to-schools-notifying-in-March pity party here....now that it's out of my system......

I can hardly imagine committing to 4 or more years in intense relationships and focused work someplace without visiting. "Feel,""Fit" and "Culture" are ephemeral in some ways, and require the experience of being there, IMHO. I'd find a way to spend even a half day anyplace I was considering.

Sigh. Choices are nice. rolleyes.gif I'm having a silly little why-did-I-apply-to-schools-notifying-in-March pity party here....now that it's out of my system......

I can hardly imagine committing to 4 or more years in intense relationships and focused work someplace without visiting. "Feel,""Fit" and "Culture" are ephemeral in some ways, and require the experience of being there, IMHO. I'd find a way to spend even a half day anyplace I was considering.

Well, I'm definitely visiting School A and waiting until I do to say no to school B. The question was more of a "if School A meets my expectations, is it worth spending the money to see what School B is like to compare them". If I hate School A, I'll definitely visit school B. But, it'd probably cost me at least $300 and a day off of work so I'm just wondering if its worth going to School B to compare if I think I'll be happy at School A.

Sigh. Choices are nice. :rolleyes: I'm having a silly little why-did-I-apply-to-schools-notifying-in-March pity party here....now that it's out of my system......

Hahaha same here! But I am guessing with this year's competition no news is good news biggrin.gif But if I knew this before, I would have definitely applied to few of those with early notifications... if you do not mind I would join your party...cool.gif

I cannot visit (international) but I will definitely have good long talks with professors before I commit (of course if given the choice..smile.gif) I think that fit and probably feel are the most important things....so I would always suggest visiting all the schools that gave you offers before committing if there is any chance to do so.

well..till we have some choices to stress about..biggrin.gif I cannot wait!!

Hahaha same here! But I am guessing with this year's competition no news is good news biggrin.gif But if I knew this before, I would have definitely applied to few of those with early notifications... if you do not mind I would join your party...cool.gif

I cannot visit (international) but I will definitely have good long talks with professors before I commit (of course if given the choice..smile.gif) I think that fit and probably feel are the most important things....so I would always suggest visiting all the schools that gave you offers before committing if there is any chance to do so.

well..till we have some choices to stress about..biggrin.gif I cannot wait!!

Midwest -- when lurking on TM I assumed you were a flyover land compatriot! Where are you located?

A new person on the forum...from Canuck land no less..:)

Hey guys

Was browsing the net to see if anyone had heard back....this wait is killer..I've applied to 9 schools and haven't heard back from any. Any other canucks out there looking to migrate south?? .:).

My profile:

Undergrad: Life Science: 3.52/4 (University of Toronto)

Masters: Biomed Engineering: 3.95/4 (McGill)

GRE: 1450 (650 V and 800 Quant) + 5.5 Written.

1.5 years of medical device research experience as an engineer in a academic/industry colloboration.

Applying to either OB/Strategy or general Management PhD Programs.

Applied to: Columbia, Cornell, Wharton, WashU Olin, Harvard, UC Boulder LEEDS, Toronto, UBC Sauder, INSEAD, IIM-Bangalore (India).

Anyone heard back from any of these schools in these programs yet...most say end feb early march.

Hrm, this week wasn't as crazily active as I thought it would be based on last year's results. :huh: Ah well, more to either dread or look forward to! :P

Hi Chimerical

You've heard back from Toronto for the strategy phd eh...well I guess that's it then for me there. How was the int. process if you dont mind me asking?

The international process was pretty straightforward. I actually didn't have to do anything differently from my domestic applications. I'm also not too concerned about getting a study permit if I decide to attend since apparently I can just apply for one at the port of entry. The whole US-Canada open border thing probably helps. tongue.gif

Regarding your other schools, there isn't much overlap between us so I can't be of much help. sad.gif Wharton management has sent out its interview invitations and I know someone who was accepted to strategic management at INSEAD. Did you apply for OB at HBS? I think that's the only HBS department that hasn't notified everyone yet.

Have you searched for these schools on the GradCafe survey? That can give you an idea of which departments have notified this year and when they sent out decisions in past years.

Good luck with your remaining apps! It looks like you have a solid profile and I hope one of your schools comes through for you. :)

Edited by chimerical

Hey Chimerical

Thanks for the info..I didn't know about the gradcafe survey..just checked it out now...pretty cool!

Yea i guess there isn't much I can do really- just wait.:). I actually applied to the health management stream at harvard actually....thats what i really wanted to do but couldnt find something that specific in any other school except wharton. I guess Wharton is out cause i did apply to its general management stream. At INSEAD I applied for the OB program actually...but yea thanks for the info.

Yea I knew about the Canadian-Us thing. I actually mean interview when i said 'int.' at UofT- my bad..:).

Cheerz!

Oh okay, well, the interview process was pretty straightforward too. Just a fifteen minute phone call with the program director asking about my prior research experience and why I was interested in Toronto.

The survey is dangerous, I'd be careful not to become addicted. :P

Oh okay, well, the interview process was pretty straightforward too. Just a fifteen minute phone call with the program director asking about my prior research experience and why I was interested in Toronto.

The survey is dangerous, I'd be careful not to become addicted. :P

Lol..I hear you. I'm blacklisting this site now...haven't done anything at work since I got in today..:)

Where you from in the US of A...you think you guys have a shot in the big O on sunday (typically hockey obsessed Canadian fan) ? .:)

Heh, yeah, this site can do that to ya.

Of course we have a shot! :P PM me if you want to know my exact location...I will say I'm in a city that has a pretty good hockey team. :)

More than a shot..a proven track record and a need to avenge for the women's result!

...someone who lives in a city where 40 year old men still have their high school hockey sticks hanging in their home.

since TM's down.. i guess we'll migrate here. glad to find some familiar names.agree, chimerical. i thought this wk would be it, but it was not as busy as i expected it to be.

but, UCLA's moving faster than I expected.

sidoov: INSEAD's pretty much done (been done for over at least a week) i know someone who got in INSEAD OB and i'm pretty sure he's taking it.

actually, looks like most top schools are done now ~ although we never know till april 15th