what if you didn't get into any school?

Just curious - what are people's fall back plans? I have to go back to my home country and join the army if I have no schools to attend this coming fall. After the army, I might try to become a kindergarden/ primary school teacher - I really like teaching and kids!

During my spare time, I will read the American Political Science Review :)

Just curious - what are people's fall back plans? I have to go back to my home country and join the army if I have no schools to attend this coming fall. After the army, I might try to become a kindergarden/ primary school teacher - I really like teaching and kids!

During my spare time, I will read the American Political Science Review :)

Not even grad students read the APSR during their spare time. Esquire, ESPN the Mag, Nature or Cosmo (depending on your interests of course) would be way more interesting spare time late night reads! The APSR puts me straight to bed, even after a 10 hour slumber and an extra large coffee.

When I applied a couple of years ago, my fall back was either to move to DC and work in Congress as a staffer, try to get a job at a lobbying firm or a DC think tank and try to plug that one year gap before I could re-apply and try to get in. Luckily I got in the first time. Best of luck with your app. Grad school sounds wayyyy better than the army.

I'm actually guilty of reading the APSR for fun as well. But then again, I also read the Economist and Foreign Affairs for fun. Maybe I'm just that weird. OP: Did you see the article in a recent issue of APSR about British MPs and the financial benefit of serving as an MP? Very interesting.

I love both the Economist and Foreign Affairs! :D

I am considering teaching English somewhere in Asia, probably China or Japan. The country doesn't really matter to me since I've been to most of them and I just love Asia. :) Alternatively, I could probably find a job at a DC think tank.

If I don't get in anywhere, I guess I'll be going to law school after all, which is a really unappealing option for me at the moment. Or, I might be completely irresponsible and just travel around the world. Hmm.

If I don't get in anywhere, I guess I'll be going to law school after all, which is a really unappealing option for me at the moment. Or, I might be completely irresponsible and just travel around the world. Hmm.

If you like school, law is fun to study once you get the hang of it.

It's the being a lawyer part that kinda blows.

• 1 month later...

I hate to bring up an old thread, but a friend and I (he showed me this website) have been discussing fallback plans. I have been rejected at 1 school, but essentially (that unofficial waitlist until the cohort is full BS) rejected from 4 more! I usually just lurk around, but felt maybe those of us who are really feeling the sting of not being in anywhere yet could commiserate.

I'm actually considering Coast Guard OCS. Quite a departure from academia I know, but what the heck, I thought I'd share.

I've been rejected from 4 schools so far (I've got 4 still pending, but based on my first 4 results, things aren't looking good). I'm still in undergrad so I've got a couple months to look for a job. I've been looking for jobs in cities/towns around my hometown and where I currently go to school (mostly municipal jobs). I plan to reapply next fall if I get rejected across the board. If I can't find a meaningful job, I can always go back at substitute teach at my old high school.

I don't even know now. before schools started sending out notices, I thought I came to terms with not going to grad school. I made plans in my mind to take art classes and get a job so I can finally have a car and to read books so I can actually learn something for once. When I got rejected from Yale, which was my first rejection, I didn't even mind because, I mean, it's Yale and so few get in that it isn't really personal. But now that I am hearing absolutely nothing, I'm really, really getting scared. I assumed for my entire college career that I would go to grad school and it's looking less and less likely each day. So I don't know what I'll do or if I'll have the heart to do anything but sit at home and eat all day.

I don't even know now. before schools started sending out notices, I thought I came to terms with not going to grad school. I made plans in my mind to take art classes and get a job so I can finally have a car and to read books so I can actually learn something for once. When I got rejected from Yale, which was my first rejection, I didn't even mind because, I mean, it's Yale and so few get in that it isn't really personal. But now that I am hearing absolutely nothing, I'm really, really getting scared. I assumed for my entire college career that I would go to grad school and it's looking less and less likely each day. So I don't know what I'll do or if I'll have the heart to do anything but sit at home and eat all day.

So true.

This cheered me up.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=470421985385

Seriously, I think there are doors open for us, even if we by chance don't get into any schools.

I mean shoot, we all have or will have at least a bachelors degree. That's still something, I think.

Edited by SansSociety