Biostatistics PhD Profile Evaluation

pqstat

Undergrad Institution: Large State University (Only school in state with stat dept.)
Major: Statistics 
Minor: Genetics
GPA: 3.84 Overall; 3.95 major

Type of Student: Domestic Asian female
Courses/ Background:
Calc I (A), Calc II (A-), Calc III (B), Statistical Methods (A), Stat Experimental Design (A), Linear Regression [Honors] (A), Stat Programming (A), Applied Linear Regression [Honors] (A), Mathematical Stats I (A), Mathematical Stats II (A-)
In progress: Statistical capstone series (2 semesters) - we are assigned a project from the university consulting department.
Planning to take: Intro to proofs and time series analysis

GRE scores: 153 Q; 148 V; 3.5 W (Didn't study the first time; planning to retake next month)
Research Experience: 1 REU working with wavelets and functional regression with genetic data (currently working on a manuscript); 2 projects at home institution - 1 will be my honors thesis. Both projects are related to genetics.
Other related experience: Will present at two research conferences next month and one next spring; completed honors projects for linear algebra class (covered usage of PCA in genetics) and linear regression class. 
Honors/Awards: University honors program, honors program research assistantship.
Letters of Recommendation:
-Research PI from REU 
-Research PI from thesis project
-MathStat I professor; I spent a lot of time in his office, so he knows my work ethic. 

On list to apply to: UW, Rice, Vanderbilt, Emory, UC San Diego, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, UGA, NC State

Thinking of adding: UConn, UNC Chapel Hill, UC Berkeley

What are your thoughts? Are there any that I should take off or add? I'm into application more than theory, but I want a strong theoretical background. My main interest is in genetics, though I'm also interested in the fields of microbiome and immunology. I'm leaning heavily towards a career in industry, but academia is still an option.

Edited by pqstat

I am only an applicant but you look like a rock star to me. Is there a way you could take an intro to analysis/ real analysis class? Maybe instead of the time series? From the years of profiles I've gone through if you got that Q GRE to 160+ and do well in an analysis I would say every school on your list is obtainable. 

4 hours ago, pqstat said:

Other related experience: Will present at two research conferences next month and one next spring; completed honors projects for linear algebra class (covered usage of PCA in genetics) and linear regression class. 

Are you going to SACNAS?

@statbiostat2017 No, I'm going to two on the east coast. 

@arima Unfortunately, real analysis is only offered every fall at my institution. I don't even have the prerequisites for it (I need intro proofs and a sequences and series course), so I won't be able to take it before I graduate. How far behind will that put me? Would it help if I took a coursera course and put something in my personal statement? 

Since you're interested in stat genetics, you might also want to consider UMich as well. They have a large number of faculty working on that. Be aware that they don't accept undergrad students directly into the PhD program; you will most likely be placed on the "fast-track MS/PhD route." This basically means that you'll be guaranteed admission to the PhD program if you pass qualifiers. I've also heard that most (maybe all?) of the fast-track students get funding.

Having real analysis would definitely be helpful, but according to the thread below it doesn't seem like a do-or-die situation. Perhaps you could try taking it this summer at another institution as a non-degree seeking student? Check your messages as I sent you a PM about that.

As a disclaimer, I'm only an M.S. Biostat applicant, but I've learned alot reading these forums over the past year. Hope this helps.

Edited by splanga

I doubt that Coursera will not be a sufficient substitute. Yes, go ahead with the proofs course and I suggest stating explicitly that you are aware that real analysis is valuable to have and that you are prepared to take the course upon admission (this is why you are taking the proofs course) if the department suggests so.

Your overall profile is relatively strong, but your low GRE Q score (combined with the B in Calc III) may raise some concerns about your ability to get through the more rigorous math required in grad school. Hopefully you can score a lot higher (160+) on the retake, which should help you. Taking (and doing well in) a proof-based course is also a good idea.

I echo the suggestion to apply to Michigan; it's a big program, so their admit rate is relatively high considering their ranking, and they're very strong in statistical genetics.