Will they even look....

digits2006

Does anyone know if adcomms will still look at my app if I have 2/3 letters in? One of my LORs still has not been sent in. It's making me go crazy. I had to contact 2 Dec. 15 schools to ask if they will still look over my apps. I dont wanna do that to the 7 other schools. Has anyone been accepted with just 2 letters?

I was accepted to the schools I listed last year with just 2/3 letters. If they're in the process of reviewing your application, someone will contact you and let you know that they need that 3rd letter or else they will not review your application. Some times they will say that they will accept you if you can produce that 3rd letter. Good luck, I'm still in the same boat as you. I have no idea how this year will play out, but I'm pretty pissed as it is at my 3rd LOR.

Bah, that's frustrating. I'd think you may need to call the schools if you're really interested in the school and the individual still hasn't gotten the letter in. At this point, can you ask someone else to write it?

i have just gone through this process. what i did was, i called up/emailed all of my schools and asked them how would they handle applications with a missing reference. some do review apps with 2/3 reference, some ignore them completely. programs do generally allow a couple weeks past deadline for everything to come in, but do let them know about your situation somehow.

i have just gone through this process. what i did was, i called up/emailed all of my schools and asked them how would they handle applications with a missing reference. some do review apps with 2/3 reference, some ignore them completely. programs do generally allow a couple weeks past deadline for everything to come in, but do let them know about your situation somehow.

I know 4 of my schools will contact me about the letter of recommendation later on in the month if still not submitted. I'm not sure how the other 6 are handled, but I have contacted them about it.

I'm on the verge of calling my last LOR and just yelling at him on the phone, but I know that won't make anything better.

I know 4 of my schools will contact me about the letter of recommendation later on in the month if still not submitted. I'm not sure how the other 6 are handled, but I have contacted them about it.

I'm on the verge of calling my last LOR and just yelling at him on the phone, but I know that won't make anything better.

Your predicament is famous on the forum now, and I think it's time for you to just call and let him have it...anyone is entitled to being angry, and there really isn't a plausible rebuttal to you being furious about something he promised you and failed to produce on time.

Your predicament is famous on the forum now, and I think it's time for you to just call and let him have it...anyone is entitled to being angry, and there really isn't a plausible rebuttal to you being furious about something he promised you and failed to produce on time.

I rather not be famous on the forum for that. :P I do plan on calling him tomorrow, but I will need to script out what I will say so I won't get tongue tied or let my frustration take over what I will say. :rolleyes:

I did email my last LOR numerous times, but didn't have the courage to call because there was the holiday/winter break. I finally called her on Monday to ask for an update, and she promised that she will do it. I can totally related to your frustration joro, I had a lot of frustration with my LOR too.. In the end, I simply found another person to write me an additional letter, because I don't think I want to take chances.

I got into a program and nominated for a fellowship when the department had only received 1/3 letters. I only know because they emailed me to see about getting the other two letters because they needed them to forward on to the Graduate School with the fellowship application. There were at least two other schools that I got into with 2/3 letters.

I have contacted both of the schools with Dec 15 deadlines. They both said they will look at my app with 2 letters. I have been in touch with one school for months now. My POI knows my struggle. Also, the graduate director of the schools said he understands my situation but said that my last letter could show strenghts that are not in the rest of my app. Luckily, my SOP was talking about the work I did with the missing LOR. I hope that helps. Oh well. One of the schools starts to look on the 11th, so I guess we will see.

Just called my final LOR again and was sent straight to voice mail. I think he probably just flagged my number to do that. I bet if I called with my other number, it would go through.

So good luck to all, I think I am screwed...

Edited by joro

Just called my final LOR again and was sent straight to voice mail. I think he probably just flagged my number to do that. I bet if I called with my other number, it would go through.

So good luck to all, I think I am screwed...

Don't give up -- think positively. Maybe if we all email the person they'll send it in? Just kidding.

Sorta hard not to give up. I'm pretty much emotionally drained from all this. I really don't know what to do at this point. I tried everything I could think of without overstepping boundaries. Hopefully my first choice school will get back to me about reviewing my application with only 2 of 3 letters.

Sorta hard not to give up. I'm pretty much emotionally drained from all this. I really don't know what to do at this point. I tried everything I could think of without overstepping boundaries. Hopefully my first choice school will get back to me about reviewing my application with only 2 of 3 letters.

There's no way you could ask another professor for a letter? Even a "did well in class" letter? At this point anything that gets you past the required documents stage and into the deliberation stage would work. I'm sorry you have to go through this, your professor is a real jackass, but don't give up just yet!

Edited by fuzzylogician

There's no way you could ask another professor for a letter? Even a "did well in class" letter? At this point anything that gets you past the required documents stage and into the deliberation stage would work. I'm sorry you have to go through this, your professor is a real jackass, but don't give up just yet!

I would if it were possible. The Professors I took as an undergrad have gone into retirement and I have no idea how to contact them. The email system also changed, my school's email was pretty bad to start with hence the change. One of the Professors that is still there actually doesn't like me and I didn't do too well in any of his classes. He teaches the tough classes and is just overall not good at teaching.

I tried calling him three times today. Finally left a voice message and then about an hour later he calls back. I pick up the phone after a few rings and he hangs up. I call back and it went straight to voice mail... I'm very depressed as it is and my friend says I might have clinical depression. I feel like my life is going down the drain and I've wasted so much time with this.

I would if it were possible. The Professors I took as an undergrad have gone into retirement and I have no idea how to contact them. The email system also changed, my school's email was pretty bad to start with hence the change. One of the Professors that is still there actually doesn't like me and I didn't do too well in any of his classes. He teaches the tough classes and is just overall not good at teaching.

I tried calling him three times today. Finally left a voice message and then about an hour later he calls back. I pick up the phone after a few rings and he hangs up. I call back and it went straight to voice mail... I'm very depressed as it is and my friend says I might have clinical depression. I feel like my life is going down the drain and I've wasted so much time with this.

That is incredibly unfortunate! Isn't there a TA or a supervisor at work or anyone like that you could ask? Maybe you could even contact the current head of your undergrad department and get a letter from them based on your performance and the fact that the actual instructors retired and can't be found?

That is incredibly unfortunate! Isn't there a TA or a supervisor at work or anyone like that you could ask? Maybe you could even contact the current head of your undergrad department and get a letter from them based on your performance and the fact that the actual instructors retired and can't be found?

I emailed one of the Professors I took, but I had asked him before and he never did respond to my email.

This happened to me last year...after calls, emails, countless voice messages, my third LOR never sent in the rec (after he promised, after I saw him and person to thank him yadda yadda). I got emails from my schools in Jan. saying that they were missing a LOR. It was very stressful. Thankfully, I found at the last min. (i.e. in mid Jan.) a professor who I didn't even know very well who was willing to write one. He ended up saving the day. It's not too late actually, could you call the department for the contact info for the retired profs? What about the prof that you think doesn't like you? You might want to try that, you really never know.

Fuzzylogician's idea is a good one too--ask the department if there is anyway someone, anyone, could write you a rec based on your past performance. Ask if there is someone you could get in touch with, introduce yourself and send a CV (though you should ask if you could send one as an attachment before doing so).

If you are working, as a very last resort, I wonder if you could ask a supervisor. Good luck with this, I know the feeling and its awful.

Edited by mims3382

Here is what my dream school said to me today:

"The letters I have for you are from ___________ and ___________. I'm still missing the third. Your application will still be looked at, but you will not be given full consideration until we receive the 3rd letter. You can have your recommender email the letter as a pdf to me at my email address."

Hi Joro...I am really sorry to hear about your situation. That is an unfortunate situation to be in. I can't believe your LOR writer is so inconsiderate! How did everything turn out?? Hope everything went well. Take care.

I sent 4 emails off to Professors I had in the past and one happily responded. She will be my replacement and I do hope that she gets it written at least by next week. I have a lot of faith in her and she genuinely cares about her students. Thanks for your concern!! Although if nothing works out and I end up getting rejected, I may need your psych expertise to straighten myself out. ;)

Edited by joro

I have been emailing each program and asking if they will look at my application with only two letters. The programs keep telling me that they will still review my application with only 2 letters. Maybe my 3rd LOR will magically arrived by owl? aha I can only hope.