Cal State Universities MSW Applicants Thread

BackNSchool83

Those going through the application process for the California State University graduate programs at whatever campus, this is a place to share progress and ask questions. If we work together and support eachother we each stand a greater chance of success in admission to the CSU of choice. Please include your stats when pertinent.

CSULB,  CSUF, CSUN, CSUSB, and possibly UCLA 

3.3 Undergrad GPA 

I worked a year and a half for an after school program mentoring kids from at-risk communities. 

I've been working for 2.5 years as a Case Manager. For the first 2 years, at a Family Resource Center and currently at a residential program for victims of DV and their families. 

I'm really nervous about this whole process. I don't even know how to approach my old professors since i didn't have much of a relationship with them...

Good luck to all! 

SJSU, SFSU, CSUEB, SDSU, possibly CSUMB

I have no idea what my chances are of getting into a program since I have been out of school for six years now and was never employed in any social work related positions or agencies. Last year, I decided to change my career path and work toward something meaningful. I have been volunteering non-stop ever since trying to build my application for MSW programs. Now I'm struggling to write my personal statement. Ahhh!!

On 9/21/2016 at 0:17 AM, MSWhopeful8 said:

CSULB,  CSUF, CSUN, CSUSB, and possibly UCLA 

3.3 Undergrad GPA 

I worked a year and a half for an after school program mentoring kids from at-risk communities. 

I've been working for 2.5 years as a Case Manager. For the first 2 years, at a Family Resource Center and currently at a residential program for victims of DV and their families. 

I'm really nervous about this whole process. I don't even know how to approach my old professors since i didn't have much of a relationship with them...

Good luck to all! 

No need to be nervous. I think your experience is exactly what schools are looking for!

As for asking for letters of rec, it's an uncomfortable process no matter what. The upside is you have nothing to lose if they say no. Just move on and find someone that will say yes! Just make sure you ask for letters early so you have time to ask others if need be.

I'm applying to SDSU and CSULB.

I'm a BSW student at CSULB right now. I originally wasn't planning on applying to Long Beach but my professors have convinced me lol.

My GPA is great and my recommendations are pretty solid. Just worried that my experience won't be enough since I only have my field experience. 

• 1 month later...
On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Jessica Steen said:

Hello!

I am going to be applying to a few Cal States. The ones I will be applying to are CSULB, CSUF, CSULA, CSUDH. I am super nervous about the whole process and plan to go to the grad fair and a couple of workshops in the near future.

As of this moment I am finishing up my B.A. in Sociology at Cal State Fullerton.  I am going to try to get my applications in as soon as possible because I know some schools have a rolling admissions process. 

I am excited to talk to people about the process!

Me 2..hi

• 2 weeks later...

It makes me feel better to see that i'm not the only one freaking out! I just keep thinking, I have nothing to lose if i dont get in. at least, I tried. I barely finished my first draft of my personal statement. how behind am i? hows everyone doing?

Cool people are using this thread.. I'm an undergrad still, a junior, and I'm double majoring in psych and crim. I'm also working on a substance abuse counseling certification. I apply next fall, I'm trying to get ahead of this so I don't have any surprises. I'm going to have about a year and a half of experience in addiction treatment and counseling at time of application, would be about 2.5 years at time of enrollment if accepted. I hope it works. I'm going to the info session coming up soon if anyone else is going lets get a coffee while we are on campus or something.

I'm applying to la, long beach, Northridge, Fullerton, and dh. Does anyone know for those schools, do I have to fill out the references page and statements of purpose page on CSU mentor? I'm confused since these two things are submitted to the department as well.

On 9/20/2016 at 5:31 PM, Lwebster60 said:

I am applying to CSUB.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:37 AM, fredalei said:

I'm applying to la, long beach, Northridge, Fullerton, and dh. Does anyone know for those schools, do I have to fill out the references page and statements of purpose page on CSU mentor? I'm confused since these two things are submitted to the department as well.

No you don't have 2....n i also apply to the same school as you..goodluck my friend...have u summited all yet?

On 12/4/2016 at 9:27 PM, Slim22sworker said:

No you don't have 2....n i also apply to the same school as you..goodluck my friend...have u summited all yet?

Oh, so I can leave the recommenders info blank on CSU mentor?

Hope you can get in the school you want.

I haven't submitted them. I want to review my statements of purpose one more time before I submit them. they gimme headache. Why am I applying to so many schools?! Lol

I went to the info sesh for CSULB... I'll attach my notes in a follow up post, but as the above post said you don't fill out that reference form, that's for the referrant to fill out and send in in an envelope they seal and signtheir name across the back. They suggested u get a professional referrance and a school reference, ideally someone who supervised you and knows how your work ties into social work.

On 12/6/2016 at 7:18 PM, fredalei said:

Oh, so I can leave the recommenders info blank on CSU mentor?

Hope you can get in the school you want.

I haven't submitted them. I want to review my statements of purpose one more time before I submit them. they gimme headache. Why am I applying to so many schools?! Lol

thank friend...

the more school you apply to is the more chances you have. i hope you get in as well... Good Luck!

I applied to csu long beach, los angeles, and dominguez hills on October 16th. I'm subscribing to this thread to see whenever acceptance letters arrive. 

Long Beach said it'll take like 4-5 weeks for a decision but that seems too early considering the holidays and their breaks. 

They do rolling admissions for CSULB. I went to CSUFs info sesh the other night as well. So far the only news I've gotten is that we can only apply to 1 grad program per school at the same time, and for CSUF u have to pick the part time or full time program when you apply, you can't apply for both. Anyone have any news?

I am trying to get the application for SJSU, but the "site is temporarily unavailable". I need the rec forms to send to my references, but can't get on and I'm getting no responses from the department. Is anyone else having this issue? Or does anyone have the downloaded documents that they'd be willing to share? 

I'll be applying to SJSU, CSU Fullerton & San Bernardino. 

B.A Political Science/International Affairs Undergrad GPA 3.58, but I went to Law School for about a year and left with a 1.2......

I don't have to much experience I Interned full time for two months in DC for a local congressman under their education/health/veterans staffer. Volunteered for a couple hours each month with teens at my local library for four years.

Still working on my personal statements, leaving law school was really hard. I wanted to work towards a JD/MSW with an emphasis on Child Advocacy. Realized law really wasn't the right avenue for me.  Really hoping this works out. My older sister is finishing her MSW at Fullerton this year. 

If anyone has the SJSU Personal Statement Prompt, i've been trying to get a copy of it. Their site has been down every time I've tried to log on.

One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot apply to both the 2 year and 3 year part time MSW programs at the same time at all schools. CSUF only lets you apply for 1 whereas CSULB lets you favor one over the other. The other thing I learned was about financial aid. Some of us being full time students may qualify for a large amount at our respective undergrad schools, however graduate school financial aid is different. For CSUF for example, the full time MSW program on the main campus does allow students to apply for financial aid, it can cover the cost of tuition, potentially in full so long as you earn less than around $25,000 a year I think. The MSW program costs about $13k for the full 2 year program. The MSW FLEX program is at CSUF Irvine and is not elligible for financial aid, it is $25k for the 3 year program. Anyways

Graduate Cost of Attendance CSUF.docx

Financial_Aid_MSWFlex.pdf

• 4 weeks later...