Cal State Universities MSW Applicants Thread

BackNSchool83

16 hours ago, MarvelousSquirrel said:

I applied to CSUSB on 12/27 and haven't heard anything from them about the full time 2-year program.

I also applied to CSUF and SJSU for the full time 2-year programs. Unfortunately due to my then work schedule i couldn't submit my applications until right before the respective deadlines 12/27/16 and 2/1/17. Since i'm assuming everyone that is hearing back from schools right now applied in Oct/Nov., realistically when should I expect to hear back from everyone? May?

Hello MarvelousSquirrel,

I spoke with the person in charge of the distance education learning MSW program.  He checked my status and told me that my application will be viewed in the "next round" (because I missed the first round?).  He said that the committee is meeting this week and I should hear back via snail mail by the first week of April.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

If I were you, I would find out who is the person in charge of the 2-year program application and see where your application is in the process.  

Dana

Hi I have a question for applicants who have been offered admission into CSULB and have accepted. 

I accepted my admission and turned in the "MSW acceptance checklist" for CSULB. I then received an email welcoming me to the school and cohort with information to the orientation attached. However, when I log onto MyCSULB I don't see any indication of showing that I'm a grad student or that I can accept/decline admission as well as tuition fees. 

Thus, I wanted to ask what everyone's process is and if this is what you did as well. I just want to make sure I don't lose out on this opportunity. Thanks! ?

Hey to anyone who applied to CSULB, on their application it asks for your cumulative GPA. So for me this is a little tricky because I am a transfer student. I returned to school after a long break, and when I first went to school I had bad grades in community college. I came back and have had a 4.0 since returning, and we'll see if it's still there when I apply for the MSW programs this fall. When they ask for my cumulative GPA, do I just give them my GPA from the UC I transferred to, or do I combine my UC GPA and my GPA from the 3 community colleges I attended? If I have to include those OLD grades and it lowers my GPA that is going to suck.

2323.png

22 hours ago, bunny666 said:

Has anyone heard back from CSUF?? Im still waiting to here back from them 

Hello,

If it helps I applied in late January to the 2 year full time program and called to follow up last Thursday. I was told that I should hear from them sometime in April.

Hope that helps. I am also anxiously waiting for a response.  :wacko:

Edited by ucipsbmajor

3 hours ago, ucipsbmajor said:

Hello,

If it helps I applied in late January to the 2 year full time program and called to follow up last Thursday. I was told that I should hear from them sometime in April.

Hope that helps. I am also anxiously waiting for a response.  :wacko:

Thanks! it does.

I also applied late January to the 2 year program. 

23 hours ago, BackNSchool83 said:

Hey to anyone who applied to CSULB, on their application it asks for your cumulative GPA. So for me this is a little tricky because I am a transfer student. I returned to school after a long break, and when I first went to school I had bad grades in community college. I came back and have had a 4.0 since returning, and we'll see if it's still there when I apply for the MSW programs this fall. When they ask for my cumulative GPA, do I just give them my GPA from the UC I transferred to, or do I combine my UC GPA and my GPA from the 3 community colleges I attended? If I have to include those OLD grades and it lowers my GPA that is going to suck.

2323.png

@BackNSchool83 I was also a transfer in my undergrad; you are to combine the "old" grades from all of the junior colleges that you have attended in the past and include them with your current university grades to get the cumulative GPA.  I transferred around three different junior colleges and had to include those grades with the university of where I conferred my degree.  The admission's office will also ask for transcripts from all of the schools that you attended post high school, so get a few copies to be safe.  

Dont sweat the grades too much; instead try to make yourself a solid candidate in the other categories. 

Hello, everyone!

I applied to CSULB and CSUSB for the three year program. I received my acceptance letter from CSUSB yesterday. I am excited! However, I am still waiting to here from CSULB. I called CSULB this morning and was told decisions would be sent around beginning of May. This makes my decision process difficult because I only have 14 days to respond to CSUSB. 

Any advice?

Edited by MSW_DV

4 hours ago, MSW_DV said:

Hello, everyone!

I applied to CSULB and CSUSB for the three year program. I received my acceptance letter from CSUSB yesterday. I am excited! However, I am still waiting to here from CSULB. I called CSULB this morning and was told decisions would be sent around beginning of May. This makes my decision process difficult because I only have 14 days to respond to CSUSB. 

Any advice?

Hey! I also got accepted into the CSUSB 3 year program. I spoke with Andy Copeland because I was waiting on 2 other schools (Still havent heard back) and he said to just reserve your spot and then if you decide to go somewhere else, just let them know later. He always is pretty short and kind of rude when I talk to him... 

4 hours ago, IV-E MSW said:

Hi all, I was recently waitlisted for CSULB on 3/27. I decided to withdraw my application. Good Luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear back. 

Hey, still waiting to hear back. Do you mind sharing your stats?

So I finally heard back from CSUSM. After being told by numerous staff for their MSW program that I would hear back in early March, then late March, and now April. They WONT be having their 3 year program that I applied to, they said there weren't enough applicants. So now I decided to apply to their 2 year program instead considering they opened up another cohort. 

Hoping to hear back in around 2 weeks!

My Stats:

Bachelor's in Social Work from Humboldt State University

GPA: 3.5

I have 9 months of experience working at a homeless shelter for teens, a years worth of experience working at a group home for teens/pregnant and parenting teens, 9 months working as a Special Education Aide in a K-3 Mod-Severe classroom, 6 months (and still currently working) at a rehab for adults struggling with alcohol/drug addiction.

Sadly I forgot to add my community college transcript ( I took a class over the summer one year) so I was taken out of the priority pool :(

On March 31, 2017 at 3:16 PM, fanzzublay said:

Anyone hear anything from SJSU or SFSU? I keep getting emails from SFSU about financial aid and a grad program preview event or something but nothing about whether I actually got in. 

I got an email from SFSU with my offer for admission on April 1st. What a day to get it ?. Pretty elaborate if it was indeed a prank. Logged into my SFSU account and accepted the offer!

On 4/1/2017 at 0:08 AM, sjimenez67 said:

Hey, still waiting to hear back. Do you mind sharing your stats?

I am an undergrad at SDSU, I'm in the title  iv-e program here . 

overall gpa 3.2

last 60 units 3.6

the only experience I have is from my internships which will be 500 hours when I graduate , I'm only 21 so I don't have much experience as I've literally been in school my whole life lol

i also did a volunteer trip to Costa Rica where I worked with teens girls in a group home for two weeks (my study abroad graduation requirement)

hope this helps!

19 hours ago, Eve M said:

I got an email from SFSU with my offer for admission on April 1st. What a day to get it ?. Pretty elaborate if it was indeed a prank. Logged into my SFSU account and accepted the offer!

Congrats!!! I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from SFSU. Do you mind sharing when you applied? 

On 4/1/2017 at 3:11 PM, Catlover133 said:

So I finally heard back from CSUSM. After being told by numerous staff for their MSW program that I would hear back in early March, then late March, and now April. They WONT be having their 3 year program that I applied to, they said there weren't enough applicants. So now I decided to apply to their 2 year program instead considering they opened up another cohort. 

Hoping to hear back in around 2 weeks!

My Stats:

Bachelor's in Social Work from Humboldt State University

GPA: 3.5

I have 9 months of experience working at a homeless shelter for teens, a years worth of experience working at a group home for teens/pregnant and parenting teens, 9 months working as a Special Education Aide in a K-3 Mod-Severe classroom, 6 months (and still currently working) at a rehab for adults struggling with alcohol/drug addiction.

Sadly I forgot to add my community college transcript ( I took a class over the summer one year) so I was taken out of the priority pool :(

What..... is this?! I work full-time and only can afford to apply to part-time programs. I have been waiting like you for a response from San Marcos. I called 2 weeks ago and they said my application was in faculty review and I would know in a few weeks. I find that unacceptable and unprofessional. I wasted time and money applying to a school that is just going to cancel the program... they really could not find 30 applicants?!

1 hour ago, sandracolibri said:

What..... is this?! I work full-time and only can afford to apply to part-time programs. I have been waiting like you for a response from San Marcos. I called 2 weeks ago and they said my application was in faculty review and I would know in a few weeks. I find that unacceptable and unprofessional. I wasted time and money applying to a school that is just going to cancel the program... they really could not find 30 applicants?!

Yea I was very surprised at how they dealt with the whole situation. It was very frustrating being told so many different dates and waiting to hear back just to be told it was cancelled. I didn't even know they only needed 30 applicants. Wow.....

What I think is ridiculous is that they obviously knew when they closed the applications that they didn't have enough applicants for their 3 year program. Why it took them so long to tell us is beyond me.

Edited by Catlover133

2 hours ago, Catlover133 said:

Yea I was very surprised at how they dealt with the whole situation. It was very frustrating being told so many different dates and waiting to hear back just to be told it was cancelled. I didn't even know they only needed 30 applicants. Wow.....

What I think is ridiculous is that they obviously knew when they closed the applications that they didn't have enough applicants for their 3 year program. Why it took them so long to tell us is beyond me.

I just called and spoke with some lady at the extended learning campus and she refused to give me any information. I only applied to the part time program and when she said my application read as full-time, I let her know that I did not apply for full-time and she told me to email my academic adviser. That she could not give me any information and I had to speak with my academic adviser. I emailed the academic adviser and they are out of the office until April 11th. The last time i called 2 weeks ago the gentlemen put me on hold and when he came back he said my application was in faculty review.... I am just upset that they did not let anyone know, or call or have any explanations. I already got accepted into a different program but still, it is super frustrating! 

When I attended the orientation session for the MSW program at CSUSM, the gentleman leading it said that they only accept 30 students into the part-time program and it was a more difficult selection process.... Not sure how they could not find 30 good students to apply and why if they had even 20-25 that it could not still continue.... 

15 hours ago, sandracolibri said:

I just called and spoke with some lady at the extended learning campus and she refused to give me any information. I only applied to the part time program and when she said my application read as full-time, I let her know that I did not apply for full-time and she told me to email my academic adviser. That she could not give me any information and I had to speak with my academic adviser. I emailed the academic adviser and they are out of the office until April 11th. The last time i called 2 weeks ago the gentlemen put me on hold and when he came back he said my application was in faculty review.... I am just upset that they did not let anyone know, or call or have any explanations. I already got accepted into a different program but still, it is super frustrating! 

When I attended the orientation session for the MSW program at CSUSM, the gentleman leading it said that they only accept 30 students into the part-time program and it was a more difficult selection process.... Not sure how they could not find 30 good students to apply and why if they had even 20-25 that it could not still continue.... 

That's crazy especially if you didn't tell them if you wanted to apply to the 2 year program. What sucks for me is this is the only school I applied to because I live in north county in San Diego with my mom and didn't want to deal with commuting to SDSU. All of this is giving me a really bad impression. And I'm at a loss of what to do...

On 2/1/2017 at 10:10 PM, Catlover133 said:

Hi everyone.

I applied to CSU San Marcos January 3rd (Closing was January 6th)

BA in Social Work

I have a 3.5 Cumulative GPA

Major GPA 3.70

I got a letter of recommendation from: a professor who taught some of the Social Work Classes I took, a Special Education Teacher I worked for for 6 months and a Case Manager I worked with at my internship for my senior year.

Because of my Major I've had volunteer work every year that I was in school.

I've volunteered at an Elementary school, Boys and Girls Club, an Elementary school in their Special Education Classroom (I was also a Yard Duty there), and at a Homeless Shelter/Transitional Program for at-risk youth.

Since graduating I've worked with Adults with developmental disabilities, as a Special Education Aide in a K-3 Mod-Severe classroom, an On call Residential Counselor for youth coming out of Juvenile Hall/in Foster Care and can't find placements, and now I currently work full time as a Residential Assistant for a 30 Day rehab/detox for adults struggling with drug addiction/alcohol addiction.

Your resume is very impressive!

I also applied to CSUSM!