Cal State Universities MSW Applicants Thread

BackNSchool83

On 3/28/2017 at 1:12 PM, bunny666 said:

Has anyone heard back from CSUF?? Im still waiting to here back from them 

Just heard from CSUF today, I have an interview with them in late April. 

Still haven't heard from CSUSB or SJSU.

I applied near the deadlines for all schools. 

Spoke with SJSU yesterday. online it says my app has been referred to the department and I was told decisions would be made between now and May.

1 hour ago, MarvelousSquirrel said:

Just heard from CSUF today, I have an interview with them in late April. 

Still haven't heard from CSUSB or SJSU.

I applied near the deadlines for all schools. 

Spoke with SJSU yesterday. online it says my app has been referred to the department and I was told decisions would be made between now and May.

I still havent heard from CSUF :(

On April 3, 2017 at 11:07 AM, shelbys said:

Congrats!!! I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from SFSU. Do you mind sharing when you applied? 

I applied pretty close to the deadline in December, maybe a week prior.

This site helped me out a bunch these past two years so I figured I'd write about my experience so I can help someone out! I had my interview for the full time program at CSUF on March 21st and heard on March 30th that I was accepted :) This time I submitted my application in November, mostly because I had already completed the application last year. I also applied for Fall 2016 while in my senior year in college (last spring) and submitted my application on the deadline day. I heard absolutely nothing from Fullerton until I got a letter in the mail in June saying I had not been accepted. When I reapplied this year I did add that I have had more work experience since graduating, so that may have helped my application. I had a 3.6 GPA from Scripps College. 

11 hours ago, MRSmsw said:

This site helped me out a bunch these past two years so I figured I'd write about my experience so I can help someone out! I had my interview for the full time program at CSUF on March 21st and heard on March 30th that I was accepted :) This time I submitted my application in November, mostly because I had already completed the application last year. I also applied for Fall 2016 while in my senior year in college (last spring) and submitted my application on the deadline day. I heard absolutely nothing from Fullerton until I got a letter in the mail in June saying I had not been accepted. When I reapplied this year I did add that I have had more work experience since graduating, so that may have helped my application. I had a 3.6 GPA from Scripps College. 

Hi I'm also a senior and applied on the last day? I've noticed that on my portal it has the accept/decline, orientation registration, and waitlist option buttons available but I still haven't received an invitation for an interview. I've also been receiving the emails from Luis Molina for the scholarship information. Do any of these factors indicate that I might have a chance? I'm so anxious to know? Last year when you applied did you have the same thing happen? 

6 hours ago, Lalivinnn said:

Hi I'm also a senior and applied on the last day? I've noticed that on my portal it has the accept/decline, orientation registration, and waitlist option buttons available but I still haven't received an invitation for an interview. I've also been receiving the emails from Luis Molina for the scholarship information. Do any of these factors indicate that I might have a chance? I'm so anxious to know? Last year when you applied did you have the same thing happen? 

I did have the same buttons available on the portal, but I did not receive any emails about scholarship information. I also didn't get those this year though, so I'm not sure! I'd say to just be hopeful but also look at other things you can do in case you don't get in! I didn't have a plan B, and while things did work out it was quite stressful for a couple months! 

9 hours ago, Lalivinnn said:

We're on the same boat. I have been receiving those emails and i have the same buttons. I also applied on the last day :(

Just got accepted into the CSUSB MSW Pathway program!!  Got my letter yesterday by snail mail.  Good luck everybody :)

Applied: APU, CSULA, CSUSB

Accepted: APU, CSULA, CSUSB

Attending : CSUSB

Received my acceptance to CSUF and proud to announce this is where I will be attending in Fall 2017. Applied 11/1/17. Interviewed 3/29/17 and accepted 4/10/17. 

Stats

Accepted: SDSU, CSULA, CSUDH

Still waiting from: CSULB, CSUN 

GPA: 3.11 Major GPA 3.7

Major: Family Studies and Human Development graduating in May 

Experience: Two years of non profit work for The ALS Association in California and Arizona. Grief Support Group facilitator for children 6-12 for 1.5 years 

4 hours ago, hpasternak said:

Received my acceptance to CSUF and proud to announce this is where I will be attending in Fall 2017. Applied 11/1/17. Interviewed 3/29/17 and accepted 4/10/17. 

Stats

Accepted: SDSU, CSULA, CSUDH

Still waiting from: CSULB, CSUN 

GPA: 3.11 Major GPA 3.7

Major: Family Studies and Human Development graduating in May 

Experience: Two years of non profit work for The ALS Association in California and Arizona. Grief Support Group facilitator for children 6-12 for 1.5 years 

Cograts!!!(: had my interview the same day, but still no answer:(

On 4/6/2017 at 7:18 PM, MRSmsw said:

MRSmsw, if you remember would you mind going over the types of questions they asked in the interview? I've never had to have an academic style interview. I don't know how different it would be from a regular job interview.

1 hour ago, MarvelousSquirrel said:

MRSmsw, if you remember would you mind going over the types of questions they asked in the interview? I've never had to have an academic style interview. I don't know how different it would be from a regular job interview.

They asked general questions like why social work, why aging, etc. The only other question I can specifically remember them asking was what I think would be a difficult population to work with and why it would be difficult, and then they asked if I had any questions for them. Overall the interview took like 20 minutes! It was two people interviewing me in a small office, it was pretty laid back and comfortable, but I did wear nice pants and a blouse like I would to a job interview. I got there a little early and was able to talk to some current students and the chair of the department (David I think?) who all wished me luck so that helped me be less nervous!

I recieved an email from CSULB yesterday saying I was accepted! Long Beach was my number one school so I gladly accepted the offer and withdrew my acceptance at Los Angeles

I was put on the wait list a while ago, I hope this means good news for others as well! 

5 hours ago, rmeza said:

I recieved an email from CSULB yesterday saying I was accepted! Long Beach was my number one school so I gladly accepted the offer and withdrew my acceptance at Los Angeles

I was put on the wait list a while ago, I hope this means good news for others as well! 

congrats!!!? what are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

@sjimenez67 Thank you! a 2.9 gpa, kinda low i know, (but a 3.4 gpa for csula and csudh) with three years experience working with low income families providing food and other needs. three years working with adults with developmental disabilities, year and a half of those three is working as management/meeting with regional centers and all that jazz. good luck!

Just got my email for acceptance into the full-time program at CSUSM. I actually received better financial aid from CSUSB where i have accepted attendance for their part-time program. Will be most likely declining CSUSM because I work full-time at the moment and don't think I could financially afford it.  

Applied: CSUF, CSUSM, CSUSB

Accepted: CSUSB (March) and CSUSM (4/19/17)

I just got an email from CSUF to interview.... I have already received acceptance into CSUSB (And a ton of financial aid) and CSUSM. Kind of feel super late on the interview process. I am already admitted into CSUSB, its 20 minutes closer of a commute and they gave me an amazing financial aid package (Less loans for me!!!).  I do not want to waste CSUF's time by going to the interview. Is it alright to kindly deny the interview and let them know I made my decision to go elsewhere?