Answers and Celebrations

JohnBom

Michigan! And, it came three minutes after the email from Wisconsin saying that I was awarded a fellowship!

What a day.

Congrats! fellowship from UW Madison sounds really awesome!And OMG, Michigan!

Edited by tomi

I have a history and education background, but am just generally issued in social issues and education.

I applied to Johns Hopkins Sociology because it was a good fit, and I'll be damned, I got in. I heard Wednesday (2/17). It was the only Sociology program I applied, but most likely will be the school I attend. New field, love my topic, new things to learn. yay!

Edited by west

I have a history and education background, but am just generally issued in social issues and education.

I applied to Johns Hopkins Sociology because it was a good fit, and I'll be damned, I got in. I heard Wednesday (2/17). It was the only Sociology program I applied, but most likely will be the school I attend. New field, love my topic, new things to learn. yay!

Congrats! That's exciting. I'm new to soc too; it's nice how the field is open to those of us from different educational backgrounds.

Greetings all. I have been a lurker for quite some time now, but since I received some good news today, I thought I would share it with you. I received a text message (yes, a text message) from the graduate program director at UMASS saying I had been accepted. Shortly thereafter I received an email from him confirming the offer (as well as some lovely information about PhD funding).

I don't have any details about cohort size and applicant pool size, and am myself waiting for six other schools decisions. Good luck to you all and maybe we can start a thread for UMASS news!

Greetings all. I have been a lurker for quite some time now, but since I received some good news today, I thought I would share it with you. I received a text message (yes, a text message) from the graduate program director at UMASS saying I had been accepted. Shortly thereafter I received an email from him confirming the offer (as well as some lovely information about PhD funding).

I don't have any details about cohort size and applicant pool size, and am myself waiting for six other schools decisions. Good luck to you all and maybe we can start a thread for UMASS news!

Congrats on getting in to ZooMass!

I saw this post on the results page.... you may not know about cohort size, but do you know why the heck you got a text message? I'm dying to know... like, what did it even say? "yo i m pleazed to n4m u ur total in! congrats!!!!1! xoxoxo umass. p.s. this isn t fake n is totally 4 realz!!!"

Edited by jacib

<br />Congrats on getting in to ZooMass!<br /><br />I saw this post on the results page.... you may not know about cohort size, but do you know why the heck you got a text message? I'm dying to know... like, what did it even say? &quot;yo i m pleazed to n4m u ur total in! congrats!!!!1! xoxoxo umass. p.s. this isn t fake n is totally 4 realz!!!&quot;<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Haha I know! I can't believe it really! I don't know if they're trying to be original or if the grad director wanted to let me know from somewhere e-mail wasn't available (Antarctica?) I had to text back to ask who it was because it was the last way I ever expected to find out about my application status. Thanks for the congrats Jacib!

<br /><br /><br />

Haha I know! I can't believe it really! I don't know if they're trying to be original or if the grad director wanted to let me know from somewhere e-mail wasn't available (Antarctica?) I had to text back to ask who it was because it was the last way I ever expected to find out about my application status. Thanks for the congrats Jacib!

Man, I got my Berkeley rejection a few minutes back. That means my only applications left out are for Yale (which people have already heard from) and Northwestern (my worst fit). Hey, but I got into one place, fully funded, and it was one of my top two choices. This whole situation is really flukey and I happened to get (what looks to be) my sole acceptance early, but those of you still waiting, you might get your acceptances late. Remember, early or late, you only need one acceptance in order to go to graduate school next year. I just wanted to say good luck, keep your chin up.

This whole situation is really flukey and I happened to get (what looks to be) my sole acceptance early, but those of you still waiting, you might get your acceptances late. Remember, early or late, you only need one acceptance in order to go to graduate school next year. I just wanted to say good luck, keep your chin up.

Thank you again for your previous detailed post about Columbia.

I've received official rejections from three schools so far. At each school, there are a few professors whose interests match some of mine; none matches exactly. Plus, each school specializes in only one of my stated interest areas.

On the other hand, at the school where I'm waitlisted at the situation is different.

A number of other schools on my list have already sent out acceptances. So I think I'm pretty much down to the last 3-4, two of which are lower in rank but not necessarily easier to get into (though I think they are good fits).

It's a little hard to keep myself optimistic at this point ... sigh. But thanks anyway.

Edited by newday123

Thank you again for your previous detailed post about Columbia.

I've received official rejections from three schools so far. At each school, there are a few professors whose interests match some of mine; none matches exactly. Plus, each school specializes in only one of my stated interest areas.

On the other hand, at the school where I'm waitlisted at the situation is different.

A number of other schools on my list have already sent out acceptances. So I think I'm pretty much down to the last 3-4, two of which are lower in rank but not necessarily easier to get into (though I think they are good fits).

It's a little hard to keep myself optimistic at this point ... sigh. But thanks anyway.

Try to keep your chin up :)

I've received 4 official rejection letters, and 4 other schools i've applied to have already sent out acceptances. Of the remaining 2, one is a poor fit, and the other I'm not qualified for (requires teaching experiences, not a soc program).

What i find helps is to find a solid plan b. One that you will love doing, and may help add to your applications in the future. I firmly believe that things happen for a reason.. though it may be a way for me to feel better about my rejections. I find that life works in mysterious ways: things that appear negative at first-glance can have a very positive effect in the future. No experience ever goes to waste, just think about how much you've learned about the process already :)

I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by taiwanadian

For all of you with multiple acceptances, I made something neat. Unfortunately, I accidentally tucked it into a subform ("The Bank") that no one reads this time of year. Anyway, I found a comparison of top stipends, and then I made a chart comparing costs of living in several dozen cities. It probably won't affect your decision per se, but hey social scientists, they're fun numbers. It's just an interesting way to look at it. According to these numbers, Penn probably makes the best offer of any school.

Thanks, jacib, that was definitely interesting. I had done something similar, comparing my schools to where I live now. My conclusion? I'm going to be poor. :-P

I'm so excited to be going to school with nerds like you all next year. (I mean that in the most loving way possible.)

For all of you with multiple acceptances, I made something neat. Unfortunately, I accidentally tucked it into a subform ("The Bank") that no one reads this time of year. Anyway, I found a comparison of top stipends, and then I made a chart comparing costs of living in several dozen cities. It probably won't affect your decision per se, but hey social scientists, they're fun numbers. It's just an interesting way to look at it. According to these numbers, Penn probably makes the best offer of any school.

nice work. that is very useful. also quite nerdy :), but in a good way. i appreciate people with enthusiasm.

Does anybody want to claim that Santa Cruz acceptance? I am still waiting to hear from them... but I would like to hear if there are visitation details just in case. I'll be flying out to the recruitment day at UC Davis next month and it's only a few hours' drive away from UCSC.

praise the gods, admitted with full funding to irvine!

i can't make the visit weekend, so if anyone goes i'd like to hear your impressions. and if you decide to attend (i think i will), it would be great to PM and learn about the people in my cohort!

Congratulations! That's awesome!

i can't make the visit weekend, so if anyone goes i'd like to hear your impressions. and if you decide to attend (i think i will), it would be great to PM and learn about the people in my cohort!

Congrats! I can tell you about the area -- DM me if you have any questions.

That is great news! Congrats!

Nobody is celebrating these days:( Must be because everyone got so used to their success :P

I'd argue the opposite: there's less and less to celebrate. seems to say there are many fewer offers after the third or fourth week of February. That said, there does appear to be an bit of an uptick in news during the first weekish of March. I don't want to sound discouraging; there are of course schools no one has heard from yet: the New School, and Canadian universities, for example. Some places, like Maryland, have only had a professor contact or two, I guess. Which other programs still haven't sent out any acceptances? All of my sociology programs have already notified people (though I'm still waiting for one official rejection); the only program I'm actually still waiting for anyone to hear anything is Chicago's Sociology/Anthropology of Religion Masters program.

Also, I think a lot of people are posting more in the individual school threads, and that's detracting from the popularity of this one!

I'd argue the opposite: there's less and less to celebrate. seems to say there are many fewer offers after the third or fourth week of February. That said, there does appear to be an bit of an uptick in news during the first weekish of March.

I would be with you - if we assume that people's tendency to report a result keeps on a constant level over time. If so, less reported acceptances and more reported rejections means that we have fewer and fewer offers over time.

However, I could be Astronautka as well - if we assume that people's tendency to report acceptance or rejections depends on how they get used to each of them. If so, and since in the very beginning there are acceptances only, we can see:

T1: all acceptances! Wow! People admitted are so excited and report and report and report. The A/R ratio extremely inclines to the acceptances.

T2: some school hadn't made any decision in T1 start to send admissions; and the schools sending admissions in T1 start to reject people. Let's say the real A/R ratio is 1:1, but some people who get admitted in both T1 and T2 are getting used to admissions and feel not very into reporting. However, the first-time -rejection-receivers, are reporting their rejections. Also, some people had no admission in T1 but are admitted in T2 feel excited so they report. Entirely, compared to the reported A/R ratio in T1, the reported A/R ratio in T2would incline more to rejection.

T3: likewise, but very likely fewer first-time-admission-receiver, and more people who are getting used to admissions.

T4: likewise.

TN

This is absolutely a rough model, well, I even doubt if it could be called a model, lol. The assumption about infinite schools slightly implied in the model is stupid. And there are a lot of other detailed assumptions needed. However, I think my idea is expressed well in it. The REPORTED A/R ratio could be contributed by the factor "people's being used to acceptances".

BTW, I think it's fun to have some discussion like this in a sociology sub-forum. We are all kind of nerdy thus we are here.

Edited by tomi

I don't know... I think people will still report acceptances over time, but will be less inclined to report rejections. I mean, each acceptance is a victory, and people tend to want to share their victories. Most people probably get more rejections than acceptances, and may not bother reporting later rejections, once the novelty has worn off.