Answers and Celebrations

JohnBom

Same as Focused. I'm SO tired. The silence is actually worse than seeing acceptances that are not yours. It doesn't help that I work in front of a computer all day, because I check this website 100+ times a day.

Man I'm so glad that I'm visiting family and won't have the opportunity to obsessively check the internet/my phone line is in a different country! And best of all I can stop obsessively checking the grad cafe and feeling like I need to respond to every post! Once a day tops! Oh sweet freedom!

Edited by jacib

Hi. I see one person admitted to U of Minnesota. I also applied to it but haven't heard anything yet... Has anyone else heard from this school? Thanks!

Yeah, I was the one who got in to Minnesota. They sent me a very brief email and a letter in the mail saying that the year was one of the most competitive, etc... but they did not mention anything about cohort size. I think they also sent an email saying that I could now view my admission status online, so you might check that out. Best of luck!

Congratulations to the 2 UCSD admits.

Do you guys care to share your stats?

UCSD admit here. I’m not a fan of the stats game. Frankly, I think it creates more misinformation and anxiety than anything. I think there is more range in these bare stats than most people recognize. But, since you ask, I’ll give you a basic description and try to keep it more or less holistic.

I graduated last May from a top private US university with a decent, not stellar GPA in soc and poli sci. Had a great Quant GRE score and just decent scores on the other two sections. I had done some research as an undergrad and wrote a thesis. Since I’m pursuing area studies in grad school, I’m sure it helped that I speak two other languages fluently. This year I’m studying relevant things abroad on a fellowship. My rec letters are difficult to gauge, but I imagine they were somewhere between solid and great and 2/3 were from prominent faculty.

These stats also got me into Wisco; and I think, had I submitted my bare numbers to this forum for review, they would have said that Wisco is a serious reach. But then again, this forum is full of crazy people (no offense, crazy people!).

Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Congratulations to the 2 UCSD admits.

Do you guys care to share your stats?

I got into UCSD! though I'm not one of the first two in the results page. I'll fudge the numbers a bit, but my GPA was ~3.5 and my GREs were V95% and Q85%. Hope this helps any future/current applicants. So excited!

EDIT: I didn't see the post above. I can't really provide an opinion on the usefulness of stats because of my limited experience with grad admissions, but it does make sense to be prudent about interpreting them. I do have a relatively low GPA, and I do think (hope) I was helped out by the more nebulous aspects of my application. In either case, I do hope that sharing my stats provides someone somewhere with some kind of help -- reassurance, a barometer, etc.

Edited by pl0x

UCSD admit here. I’m not a fan of the stats game. Frankly, I think it creates more misinformation and anxiety than anything. I think there is more range in these bare stats than most people recognize. But, since you ask, I’ll give you a basic description and try to keep it more or less holistic.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!

I got into UCSD! though I'm not one of the first two in the results page. I'll fudge the numbers a bit, but my GPA was ~3.5 and my GREs were V95% and Q85%. Hope this helps any future/current applicants. So excited!

EDIT: I didn't see the post above. I can't really provide an opinion on the usefulness of stats because of my limited experience with grad admissions, but it does make sense to be prudent about interpreting them. I do have a relatively low GPA, and I do think (hope) I was helped out by the more nebulous aspects of my application. In either case, I do hope that sharing my stats provides someone somewhere with some kind of help -- reassurance, a barometer, etc.

Thanks to both of you. I know that the Stats game doesn't really provide the most useful information. I ask for two reasons:

1) I think that for some people who didn't graduate from top private/public universities, and who might not have letters from known professors, stats are useful (that's my case.. since I didn't go to a prestigious school I had to rely on my GPA and GRE scores).

2) I also ask because I'm starting to thing that the people who visit this forum tend to be some of the better candidates. I find it hard to believe that we are representative of the overall pool of applicants. So I wanted some evidence for my hypothesis.

Anyways, congratulations.

Thanks to both of you. I know that the Stats game doesn't really provide the most useful information. I ask for two reasons:

1) I think that for some people who didn't graduate from top private/public universities, and who might not have letters from known professors, stats are useful (that's my case.. since I didn't go to a prestigious school I had to rely on my GPA and GRE scores).

2) I also ask because I'm starting to thing that the people who visit this forum tend to be some of the better candidates. I find it hard to believe that we are representative of the overall pool of applicants. So I wanted some evidence for my hypothesis.

Anyways, congratulations.

In ref. to 1, my undergrad is a mid-tier UC. My LORs did not come from professors in sociology (not 1 out of the 4) but I would consider one of them from a "known professor" in his field.

Good luck! and thank you.

In ref. to 1, my undergrad is a mid-tier UC. My LORs did not come from professors in sociology (not 1 out of the 4) but I would consider one of them from a "known professor" in his field.

Good luck! and thank you.

Congratulations to you guys! This is great!

UCLA!!! Admitted by my first choice!

I'm in shock. I woke up way too early this morning and was about to go back to sleep when I received the email.

Congrats! What an excellent way to wake up.

UCLA!!! Admitted by my first choice!

I'm in shock. I woke up way too early this morning and was about to go back to sleep when I received the email.

Congratulations, pl0x, I got into UCLA as well. I am super excited!

I'm a UCLA admit as well :-)

Anyone plan on going to the department visit days? I would love to but unfortunately I'm in England.

And as always, congratulations to those caught up in the flurry of good news :-)

Also, though I think playing the "stats game" is pretty fruitless as well, I will say, as a word of encouragement, that my GREs were FAR below the average scores for those admitted in 2009.

And my GPA was a good deal lower than the average GPA.