Answers and Celebrations

JohnBom

Thursday I got an email from a college. Heart stopping! Oh, they don't have a copy of my writing sample. (Even though I attached it to the application)

Today I got a letter from another school! YAY! This is to confirm that we have all pieces of your application.

sigh

Just couple of minutes ago I got an email from Brown with a subject "Brown Graduate Admission". I swear my heart stopped for a second. Yet, they are only thanking me for my application.

How kind and polite of them!!!

This is seriously impacting my blood pressure.

I'm with you ddlr.

Thursday I got an email from a college. Heart stopping! Oh, they don't have a copy of my writing sample. (Even though I attached it to the application)

Today I got a letter from another school! YAY! This is to confirm that we have all pieces of your application.

sigh

I got an e-mail too last week that said "Application Status Update". My heart stopped. Yeah, it was just confirming they had all my materials. <_<

I got an e-mail too last week that said "Application Status Update". My heart stopped. Yeah, it was just confirming they had all my materials. <_<

Last week I got one of those. I almost cried.

But here's my favorite story so far: last week I logged in to one of my applications... and there was a link at the bottom of the page that said "A decision "Your application decision is now available online". I freaked out. This was also my top choice. So I took a deep breath and clicked on the link.... and then....

I realized I had log in with last year's user ID. I was looking at the letter they sent me in the summer to tell me they although I had been waitlisted all the spots were taken.

FML... big time :angry:

I just saw an admit to UNC on the results board. I applied too and that is making me more obsessive. Ugh.

That was me. It seems like they just started making calls (and I didn't get called until around 4pm (EST)), so I don't think you need to worry.

That was me. It seems like they just started making calls (and I didn't get called until around 4pm (EST)), so I don't think you need to worry.

Congratulations! That's a great success!

I wish for a call very much, but I can see a million reasons why I would not get one. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Yes, congratulations!

I'm really starting to get jittery now...UNC is the first school I applied to that is sending out notifications...even though I'm not the best match and am not likely to get in, it still brings on the stress attacks!

Edited by lj123

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D Fantastic news! I guess they're notifying people early this year. Any news on funding?

Congratulations! I also applied to UNC and I'm starting to get nervous... oh well if I don't get in... congrats though! It is a great school :)

Congratulations Rogue on the acceptance as well as the funding! (I'm not the other admit, keeping my fingers crossed. . .)

Do you know any CUNY stats for this year, such as # of applicants, # of spots, # of Enhanced Chancellor's Fellowships, etc.?

Also, I'm curious about this "admitted students event," do you know anything else about it?

I visited the CUNY Soc. program this fall out of curiosity and met with a couple of students to get a feel for the program from a student's perspective. The Graduate Center, basically a building full of Ph.D. students, is a really compelling environment to me. And despite, or perhaps because of, the lack of student office space (though it is a detriment, given that the building is at 34th & 5th it is understandable), the Soc. lounge is the most welcoming/collaborative space I've seen in a Soc. grad department. Have you been there? If so, what are your impressions?

Thanks! The event supposedly includes lunch with faculty and students, then meetings with faculty (which we can schedule) or sitting in on a class or two. Then there are a couple of book discussions, followed by a wine and cheese reception.

I don't know anything about stats, other than that they said there were an unusually large number of applicants. (That seems to be standard boilerplate for most schools, no?)

I visited there last summer, when I was up for a conference. I like the grad lounge as well--it seemed like a laid-back collaborative space. There weren't a whole lot of folks around as it was summer, but the professor I met was very nice and so accommodating. I have a great feeling about this program and am really looking forward to finding out more and getting a better handle on the vibe there in a couple of weeks.

Edited by rogue

I just received an acceptance call from Berkeley! (I posted on the results page.)

That's freaking incredible. Berkeley is probably the best sociology program in the country. big big CONGRATULATIONS. I'm sure you're pretty happy about it.

I just received an acceptance call from Berkeley! (I posted on the results page.)

Congratulations! Now you have to turn down your UNC offer quickly just in case they are still making decisions.

Given your early admit calls and that you are the only one posting on Cal and UNC, are you being offered special fellowships?