The positives thread

captiv8ed

Reading this thread necessitates me contributing to this thread lest I lose myself in despair. Heh...

-GRE V680 (630 required), and a 4 AW which I am so proud of. My previous attempts were 3s (yes, plural).

-GPA 3.5 (minimum 3.0, and not that far away from the 3.7 average)

-Advanced study (3 years+) of a pertinent foreign language (minimum 2 years required)

-Very interesting and well written SoP. (I am told it is graduate level quality and would be an A- if it were graded.)

-Very clear and specific research interests.

-I am bright and curious.

-No publications, but I am mature and sure of my plan to go to graduate school.

-I have already been accepted by another department at the university (dual degree program) so they know I would definitely be attending their program if accepted.

-My LoR's were good enough to get me into the other department despite my uneven undergraduate grades.

I know I'm in the top 50% of applicants, confident I'm in the top third, and think I have a good chance of being in the top 25% or better. (20-25% acceptance rate)

God, this is uncomfortable. But, I think it will be a good little exercise! I've been feeling very discouraged lately, to the point that I've been bumming out everyone around me.

Good things about Pamphilia:

* 3.9 GPA from a badass undergrad with a top-ranked English program

* 2 LORs from really well-known and well-respected scholars in my subfield; third LOR from a total rockstar in a different (but unrelated) subfield

* Completed an undergrad honors thesis, advised by one of my well-known and well-respected LOR-writers; revised and edited it to the point where even I am happy enough to use it for my writing sample

* My incredibly scary but brilliant undergrad advisor went over and revised my SOP and my 20+ page writing sample multiple times

* Excellent GRE General scores: 800V/710Q/5.5AW

* Excellent GRE Subject score: 710 (96th percentile)

* What I feel is a pretty good SOP and writing sample

* Talked to a prof at one of the programs to which I'm applying who said she feels confident I will get in somewhere!

Yikes. That was scary and hard and made me feel like a jerk.

Edited by Pamphilia

I have a pretty good, albeit deceptive, GPA. 3.645 at a school where B- is 2.67 and A- is 3.67.

That's just a standard grading scale, no? A: 4.0, A-:3.67, B+: 3.33, B: 3.0, etc. etc...?

Anyway nice stats!

My positives:

--Quantitative heavy degrees (chemE/chem) from a top 3 undergrad program (though I HIGHLY doubt the adcoms in IR will have any idea it's a top program)

--Good quantitative/AW GRE scores

--Good SoP (I think)

--Took additional courses on top of engineering work related to my chosen area of specialization (Japan) and got all As in them

--Took intensive summer Japanese language courses for the country of my chosen specialization and got grades of A- both semesters (4 hours a day M-F for 10 weeks)

--Volunteered at a Japanese garden for two years

--Have been living in rural Japan as an isolated foreign national for almost two years teaching with the JET Program

--Held a graduate-student level gen. chem. lab T/A position for a year while an undergraduate

--Spent three years as an undergraduate working in a demographic research office on campus

--Worked 20 hours at the demographic office while being a T/A 20 hours a week while battling a top chemical engineering program and double majoring, and losing my mom to cancer in the thick of it and persevering and finishing

--One LoR that for sure is glowing, another likely glowing

--Also proficient in German as deemed by my university

--Graduated with 181 credits (6 years full time) since I switched majors after two years and started over (a reach I know, but it may show maturity)

The cons: No internships or directed research (taking care of mom/financial strain), and a relatively low overall GPA (3.12). Also a pretty crappy verbal GRE score (70th percentile). No publications either, and could also use more work experience.

I think the GPA will keep me out. I've got a few Cs littered on my transcript, more towards the end of my undergrad program, which look terrible.

Edited by gazelle

That's just a standard grading scale, no? A: 4.0, A-:3.67, B+: 3.33, B: 3.0, etc. etc...?

Anyway nice stats!

I don't think that's normal. Most of the other universities around me are A or A- is 4.0, B+ is 3.33, B is 3.0, B- is still 3.0, etc.

PS - what program are you applying for? Did you like JET? I know a few people who did that and they all loved it.

I don't think that's normal. Most of the other universities around me are A or A- is 4.0, B+ is 3.33, B is 3.0, B- is still 3.0, etc.

PS - what program are you applying for? Did you like JET? I know a few people who did that and they all loved it.

Trying to get into international relations, with a focus on energy/environment/development, so more quantitatively focused.

I'm still a JET, through this coming July. JET is good for international experience, but I'm ready to start something new.

Edited by gazelle

I think the GPA will keep me out. I've got a few Cs littered on my transcript, more towards the end of my undergrad program, which look terrible.

Positive thoughts, gazelle! I've heard from friends who are completing their MAs in IR that getting in isn't strictly about the numbers; most AdComms do spend quite a bit of time with your SOP and recommendation letters.

UCSD School of International Relations and Pacific Studies (the only Asia-specific program) and Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs.

Needless to say, I'm reaching with Columbia but I'd love to go there. I have a good shot with UCSD though, as my GPA isn't too far off their 3.4 average and my GRE scores for Q/AW exceed their averages, and my verbal is only 17 points shy of their average.

Trying to stay positive!! :)

Ultimately, I'm in total agreement with the others that none of this means anything if the fit's no good. So I hope we all find someplace that works well for us, in terms of interests and qualifications.

But we can all use a little positive reinforcement, right?

-GPA 3.62 from an ivy league university, 3.70 final two years, 3.89 senior year.

-Solid GRE scores, including freakish Q score for a prospective humanities student... 660V, 790Q, 6.0AW.

-Received departmental grant for conducting senior thesis research, for which I received an honors grade and graduated with honors in my field and overall.

-Paper for a class in my field was described as the best in the class by my professor, for whom I worked and from whom I also received an LOR... and a version of this paper is my writing sample and turning into a conference presentation this March.

-Received another LOR from a TA and professor that was apparently over 4 single-spaced pages long (I don't have that much to say about myself, so I can't even imagine what he said!).

-Plentiful teaching experience, including tutoring, high school teaching, and TAing (combined experience for the past 3+ years... hard to have consistent employment when you're a student, ya know?).

-Plentiful research experience of the employment variety, some of it in my field, some not.

-Planned a large scale conference on culture that was covered by several media outlets, like CNN, NPR, BBC, etc.

-International travel experience: independent research in Europe for my senior thesis, as well as study abroad in Europe, and ended up fluent in Spanish.

Weaknesses exist, to be sure, but I'm going to try to ignore those... ha. But let's just say I'll be thrilled to receive one acceptance.

Whatever your program, your stats are awesome!

The University of Minnesota is my alma...great environment, big school spanning the Mississippi, mixed in with the city so lots of restaurants and stuff mixing right in with campus, and only a five minute bus ride from smack dab in the middle of downtown Minneapolis. :)

Whatever your program, your stats are awesome!

The University of Minnesota is my alma...great environment, big school spanning the Mississippi, mixed in with the city so lots of restaurants and stuff mixing right in with campus, and only a five minute bus ride from smack dab in the middle of downtown Minneapolis. :)

I love Minneapolis! I have family up there and in South Dakota so I end up in the Twin Cities pretty frequently. Though I am not a fan of the weather... made worse by this winter storm that's plaguing the entire middle of the country.

-1350+ GRE scores, including a weirdly high quant. score...

-3.93 overall gpa, 3.96 major gpa so... summa cum laude graduate! yay

-presentation at an undergrad research conference last year/hopefully another trip this year to present my completed paper

-senior honors thesis with the department hard-ass who seems quite unconcerned with me receiving anything but high honors

-4 LOR's-- 1 from the director of the MA @ my school (i'm an undergrad), 1 from a full-tenured yale grad, 1 from my thesis advisor/former chair of the dept/former dean of honors college, 1 from an assistant prof who is like my mother in the english department!

-experience as a "peer teacher" for a freshman cluster (we don't have TA's), Kaplan SAT teacher, and university tutor (mostly in spanish)

unfortunately i could make a similarly large list of my perceived weaknesses. eek. 12/13 apps in. praying for uno.

-1350+ GRE scores, including a weirdly high quant. score...

-3.93 overall gpa, 3.96 major gpa so... summa cum laude graduate! yay

-presentation at an undergrad research conference last year/hopefully another trip this year to present my completed paper

-senior honors thesis with the department hard-ass who seems quite unconcerned with me receiving anything but high honors

-4 LOR's-- 1 from the director of the MA @ my school (i'm an undergrad), 1 from a full-tenured yale grad, 1 from my thesis advisor/former chair of the dept/former dean of honors college, 1 from an assistant prof who is like my mother in the english department!

-experience as a "peer teacher" for a freshman cluster (we don't have TA's), Kaplan SAT teacher, and university tutor (mostly in spanish)

unfortunately i could make a similarly large list of my perceived weaknesses. eek. 12/13 apps in. praying for uno.

Numbers wise, nothing spectacular, but:

-3.3 GPA, but opposite of the normal trend: okay grades in my lower division classes, nothing but A's in my upper division classes.

-640 V, 770 Q on the GRE

-Statement of Purpose and Personal Statement. Started on them six months in advance, did draft after draft, and have had every school I've gotten an interview from compliment me on them.

-Fit. I spent an hour a day for nearly two months researching schools, so I know exactly why I want to go to each of these programs, why they would want me, and what I have to offer them. I did this for the school, the faculty, the area, the real estate, etc.

Aaaand that's all I can think of at the moment.

My positives are mostly in research:

-10 published papers, including major conferences and an IEEE transactions.

-Start publishing since 3rd year undergrad.

-2.5 years as a research staff in Uni

-regular reviewer of major conferences.

-Hopefully good LOR, but not guaranteed (because I don't know what they wrote, but got no reason to believe they are bad)

I'm loving this thread!

I've got:

3.9 GPA from a "Public Ivy" (I know it's a contested term, but for the sake of context). 4.0 in both (related) majors

Three years on editorial staff of undergraduate scholarly journal

3 undergraduate research fellowships

Served as Research/Editorial Assistant for a book forthcoming from a major university press

LORs from 3 rockstars in my field--all of whom do work related to my subfield in some way

Prestigious post-undegrad internship

Award-winning undergrad honors thesis, a chapter of which I believe I edited into a solid sample

Edited by alfie08

Here goes nothing. This was incredibly difficult for me to write, but goes along with my new year's resolution to be more positive.

-3.78 GPA and 3.91 in my major, from a fancy top-20 R1 undergrad UG

-graduated summa cum laude, in the top 10% of my class

-phi beta kappa honors

-managed to graduate with honors in my major, along with 2 minors

-wrote an honors thesis and, through massive editing (read: rewriting), have produced a decent writing sample

-spent a semester abroad, studied a bunch of French

- good GRE: 750V/680Q/5.5AW

- 2 good LORs, 1 great LOR, from my UG advisor who said that I was one of only a handful of students he would absolutely encourage to enter this field

-4ish years of 'real world' but unrelated experience which has provided me with invaluable perspective, ambition, drive, etc.

Wow, that was weird.

Natofone, I think it's to help differentiate between general ed requirements (like the Intro to Everything classes you had to take as a freshman) and your major field studies. None of my schools asked me to break it out like that, but many schools do. It also helps you look better on paper if you had mediocre grades in stuff outside your major, but kicked butt inside your major, or if your first two years were rough, but you got it together later on.

Here goes nothing. This was incredibly difficult for me to write, but goes along with my new year's resolution to be more positive.

-3.78 GPA and 3.91 in my major, from a fancy top-20 R1 undergrad UG

-graduated summa cum laude, in the top 10% of my class

-phi beta kappa honors

-managed to graduate with honors in my major, along with 2 minors

-wrote an honors thesis and, through massive editing (read: rewriting), have produced a decent writing sample

-spent a semester abroad, studied a bunch of French

- good GRE: 750V/680Q/5.5AW

- 2 good LORs, 1 great LOR, from my UG advisor who said that I was one of only a handful of students he would absolutely encourage to enter this field

-4ish years of 'real world' but unrelated experience which has provided me with invaluable perspective, ambition, drive, etc.

Wow, that was weird.

Your story actually sounds incredibly similar to mine. I had a 3.92 GPA, 4.0 in my major, summa cum laude, phi beta kappa, valedicatorian nominee (yeah, they nominate people and then make people give speeches in front of a panel). Studied abroad in Spain, great GMAT (99%), 2 good LORS, 1 awesome LOR and 4 years unrelated, but great work experience.

I want to study social movements, and I have 10 years of experience in different kinds of feminist, anti-prison, & labor organizing, with a couple of really exciting victories.

Someone on the adcomm will see this & value it. Then my high test scores & solid academic history & interesting writing sample will give them the tools they need to be able to convince everyone else.

I won the major undergraduate award in my field despite the fact that it was only my minor.

I've done several independent studies.

I've well-versed in my subject area and I think that comes across in the SOP.

I have field experience and lots of research experience.

I did a teaching internship in my prospective discipline.

All of my applications are well-targeted with strong fits.

I have a high GPA in my prospective discipline (3.93)

I have more language training than most RS applicants.

Thanks for doing this. I'd forgotten that there were positives in my apps.