The positives thread

captiv8ed

I don't want to get into specific positives, but I will say what I (hope) gives me the edge is my M.S. (come May) in my discipline. I've seen other profiles of people applying to similar programs as me, and I get depressed when I see that they went to I Am More Elite Than You Universities, have a 30,000 GRE, 5 billion publications, worked for Awesomer Than You Company (work experience is important to a lot of my programs)...so the only thing I can come up with to give me an edge is that I will have a master's and some unique work experiences/background. Yeah! Take that geniuses! (just kidding. sort of.)

• I've taken one graduate class in my field, and I was awarded top marks on the final.
  • I applied for a large fellowship
    • I peer reviewed a paper for an editor in my field.
      • Current independent project is likely to yield some interesting results.
        • Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award. (Only 1 given per year throughout the whole school.)
          • I contacted two exceptional prospective advisers. Both were very receptive, and one went as far as to write on my behalf.
            • Double majoring. Will probably get honors of sorts.
              • Acknowledged in two Ph.D. theses.
                • Acknowledged in three conference presentations.

• 3 years of part-time research.
              • 3 LOR from my 3 research advisers. They love me.
              • Submitted 3 research proposals, 2 fully funded.
              • Research results presented at 3 national conferences.
              • 2nd author to 4 full papers relatively close to my prospective field.
              • Mentored 4 undergraduate students in lab.
              • In my tenure I have worked with 7+ undergraduates, 4 graduate students, 3 full professors and 1 visiting scholar.
              • Many unfinished projects I am tinkering with.
                I love what I do and I aimed very high. I hope they'll see how genuine I am.

I keep opening this thread and reading it and wondering if I have anything to say. I guess I'll try.

1) My GRE. It's not super-amazing, but I just realized that the GRE scores that utterly depressed me when I was applying to lit programs are actually pretty good for science writing--I scored higher in quantitative than in verbal, even though I haven't taken math since high school and I was an English major. So...hopefully that will show that I actually can deal with math and science, even though I'm not particularly well educated in the area. Plus the 5.5 AW.

2) Outstanding Senior in English (one award in the department, a really big deal at my school).

3) 3.98 gpa, phi beta kappa, and all that jazz

4) A whole helluva lot of my research has been focused on philosophy/history of science and technology in culture and literature, so I can pretty solidly back up my claim that I am vastly interested in science as such. I had enough of that, in fact, that I was able to submit three papers as writing samples and none of them were just lit crit.

5) My LOR writers adore me.

6) Lots and lots of writing awards (all only university-wide, though, nothing super prestigious)

7) Presented at 3 undergrad colloquia, including my work on philosophy of science.

I actually feel better now. Wow.

God, this is uncomfortable. But, I think it will be a good little exercise! I've been feeling very discouraged lately, to the point that I've been bumming out everyone around me.

Good things about Pamphilia:

* 3.9 GPA from a badass undergrad with a top-ranked English program

* 2 LORs from really well-known and well-respected scholars in my subfield; third LOR from a total rockstar in a different (but unrelated) subfield

* Completed an undergrad honors thesis, advised by one of my well-known and well-respected LOR-writers; revised and edited it to the point where even I am happy enough to use it for my writing sample

* My incredibly scary but brilliant undergrad advisor went over and revised my SOP and my 20+ page writing sample multiple times

* Excellent GRE General scores: 800V/710Q/5.5AW

* Excellent GRE Subject score: 710 (96th percentile)

* What I feel is a pretty good SOP and writing sample

* Talked to a prof at one of the programs to which I'm applying who said she feels confident I will get in somewhere!

Yikes. That was scary and hard and made me feel like a jerk.

Wow we have a remarkably similar profile! Different subfields so we won't knock each other out :) Sometimes life is grand. Anyway, let's both get in everywhere. Seriously though, best of luck.

Well, I'll do it too, even though I feel like it will only add to my worry that I am getting my hopes up:

- Highest graduating average in my major in my cohort.

- Several A+'s in courses in my field (very rarely given at my undergrad institution, which tends to have slightly lower grades than equiv. US schools).

- Top student in several graduate level seminars competing with MA/PhD students.

- Top grade in my class for my honours thesis.

- Great GRE's: 800 v/730 q/4.5 awa.

- Extraordinarly strong (I hope!) recommendations from well-known and well-connected professors in my field.

- Worked as a research assistant.

- Compelling research proposal and strongly written SoP.

Edited by Foucault

I'm game for this, then I'll pop over to the negative thread!

3.67 GPA (High for my program...probably will graduate Phi Beta Kappa)

780 QUANT GRE

Studied Abroad in Japan with host family

Received grant to attend International conference in Prague

3 LORs from professors who know and love me

Never less than an A in an ECON class (except an A- in the one taken in Japan)

Two of my last three semester were 4.0s (the other one was in Japan)

As in all my Calculus courses

Graduating concurrently with a separate B.A. and B.S.

Edited by tskinner

I'm old (37) so what I really have going for me (I hope) is experience. 12 years teaching and two years ago I founded my own alternative school. Strong LORs, including an extra one from someone on Forbes list of "Revolutionary Educators". Top 25 undergrad school (but godawful grades :(). I'm confident in my SOP, and I'm pretty damned committed to not only grad school, but to a single school and a single particular program - I've applied nowhere else. GRE is 97th percentile which I took last minute without prep, and I overhydrated before the test, so I kept having to run out to pee, losing time. I wonder what they'll think of my Mensa membership - it's extremely polarizing. Some find it extremely elitist and furthermore, based on questionable measurements of intelligence. I think I'd be a shoo-in, if it weren't for my GPA. Or the fact that it's Harvard, and even with all the numbers, if you don't come alive in your application (or come alive as someone not so desirable!), you'll get passed over (same as all other ultra-competitive schools).

I had completely given up on ever applying to grad school due to my bombed (though still graduated) bachelors. But someone told me that lots of experience in my chosen field and the passage of a LOT of time can possibly compensate for an uncompetitive undergrad record. So I figured, hell, why not? I really want to do the program, so I guess in two months we'll find out :)

I'm not waiting on admission, but I am waiting on a major fellowship decision (SSHRC). Here are the things that I've done since my last failed application that should improve my chances:

- maintained my near 4.0 GPA (I think it might be up to a 3.96 by now)

- completed my MA

- presented my MA paper at a solid conference (won a small travel award to attend)

- started my PhD at a school with a much better reputation

- won a highly competitive recruitment scholarship that only goes to the top 12 incoming students campus wide (top one or two per department)

- earned two As and an A+ in my first term of course work (fall grades don't get considered, though)

- built a good relationship with my grad chair, who writes support letters for SSHRC files (not for deliberate networking purposes, but because she's great)

- rewrote my research proposal so that it's much more informative, even though it took massive cuts to sections I was very attached to

And the thing that I'm really proud of but can't brag about openly is

- upped my graduate awards/fellowships dollars total to over $65,000 over three years.

All without a single publication- take note humanities folks! At this point, it really is about potential in a lot of cases.

My school, and many others I've encountered, don't have that grading scale. A = 4.0; A- = 3.67; B+ = 3.33; B = 3.0 etc. No freebie A-'s :)

My school doesn't even have A-'s. A = 4.0; AB = 3.5; B = 3.0; BC = 2.5

Pretty big disadvantage for some grades that ought to be an A- (e.g.,92% un-curved is usually an AB) :( But that is just my excuse :)

Edited by taiwanadian

My school doesn't even have A-'s. A = 4.0; AB = 3.5; B = 3.0; BC = 2.5

Pretty big disadvantage for some grades that ought to be an A- (e.g.,92% un-curved is usually an AB) sad.gif But that is just my excuse smile.gif

On the other hand, the typical grading system (at least in my school) which utilizes the A, A-, B+, B, etc... system tends to have a huge divide between 3.7 and 3.2. I noticed that when I applied to Duke, they ask you to calculate your GPA based on their own grading system (Which I didn't realize until after I submitted my transcript and application). They had it shifted so that the + grades were at N.5. ...Needless to say I was envious...

Tskinner: just wondering, since you mentioned your econ and calc courses - are you applying for quant methods?

I've been thinking about it...

For all my applications I picked International Relations as my primary and Comparative Politics as my secondary, but I really like methods, so if I get in, I may consider changing my secondary.

I understand that, but they will not truly compare a GPA derived from one grading system with a GPA derived from another system without reconciling the two somehow. For example, some schools count an A+ as above a 4.0, so people can actually end up with GPAs above 4.0. This doesn't mean that you'd be at an inherent disadvantage with a GPA coming from a school without grades above 4.0.

Of course. Also the fact that some schools are notorious grade inflaters and others are deflaters. I'm sure when it comes to admissions decisions the adcomms take this in their assessment. However, a lot of people just do a general apples to apples comparison of GPAs...it makes it feel like a movie star rating where people look at the stars without reading the review. For instance, the EPA has an engineering internship. In order to be elligible, you need to have a GPA of 3.7 or something ridiculous. Or in order to be a GS-7 instead of a GS-4 with the agency, one needs to have scholastic achievement. This is completely determined on if your GPA is above a 3.0. It doesn't matter what school, or what your grades mean, it just is what it is. I think the non-academic reviewers of one's GPA are a little more stringent even though they don't try to be.

for IR...why not the Fletcher School??

I thought about it, but from what my advisors told me, Fletcher is more for people who are looking to work rather than go into academia. Also, they do not accept PhDs straight from undergraduate. If I don't get anywhere this round, I may apply to the MALD.

this is fun! and a welcome distraction (is it a distraction?) from the agony of waiting:

- near 4.0 gpa in MA program for the field at a top ranked school

- co-author on paper on really cool stuff with one of my research heroes (and s/he's well-respected among others in the subfield)

- presented one of my own papers at the biggest national conference in the field, and was approached afterwards by some majorly cool profs. and students (holler!)

darnit, i'm great!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by hip2btriangle

I actually like bragging about myself, but this was harder to write than I thought it would be! ;)

1. MA in my field this coming May.

2. 4.0 GPA in my major in undergrad, 3.9 grad GPA

3. Several conference presentations

4. At least one LOR that I expect to be spectacular, and two other solid ones

5. Conducted pre-application visits at two of my top choice schools, and had a fantastic rapport with one of my scholarly heroes.

6. Currently working as an adjunct instructor for survey-level classes in my discipline

7. Cool research interests!

darnit, i'm great!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you are! I hope you don't mind that a stole the academic heroes terminology from you. It's a great way to describe some of my favorite researchers. :)

Edited by starfish

It's so hard to brag on myself. I've been avoiding posting on this thread while silently cheering on everyone else's accomplishments. Anyway, I'm sucking it up now, so here's my short list:

-Excellent GRE (770/770/5.5)

-Decent UG GPA (3.6, and 3.8 in my major)

-3 great LORs, including one so good I cried when I read it (prof sent me a copy)

-1 publication (not academic, but it is a clinical piece in an edited anthology)

-research experience that resulted in acknowledgement in a published paper

-teaching experience as a TA, adjunct and corporate trainer

Whew. OK, that wasn't so bad.

-3 great LORs, including one so good I cried when I read it (prof sent me a copy)

that happened to me, too!!! and what was worse was that she asked me to "proof" it for her in her office, when in fact i started to cry...an amazing and horribly embarrassing experience at the same time.

Here goes:

1) 3.7 GPA from UG "Public Ivy" that was ranked #3 in the field when I was going there; 4.0 GPA in non-degree coursework (i.e., for fun) at another "Public Ivy" after I graduated

2) I graduated with Honors in 3.5 years

3) 98th percentile on GRE Verbal

4) One excellent LOR from a superstar in the field, two other solid LORs, and 1 additional stellar LOR for one program that the prof specifically volunteered to write

5) Non-related work experience: I was Employee of the Year (out of 400+ employees), and was recently offered the position of President of a $30-million enterprise (which I turned down in favor of grad school). Not related, but it shows I have drive and maturity!

6) Secured highly competitive internship at well-known museum/art historical research institute in California (5 departments vied to have me)

7) Lectured and taught classes to high school kids at another museum in California

8) A prof said I was the best student in her class and highly commended one of my writing samples, and I feel pretty good about my other one too

9) My SOP was tailored specifically to fit the research interests of the faculty in each of the universities I applied to (and I also got good feedback about content and writing style after peer edits)

10) I have e-mailed or talked on the phone to the various faculty members of these schools

11) I spent HOURS researching all these programs and faculty members, organizing them onto a spreadsheet, and narrowing them down based on personal fit

12) I am proficient in 3 foreign languages, with study abroad experience

And all the programs have confirmed receipt of my application materials!

Wow this felt good, especially since I was hyperventilating earlier about the idea of getting rejected from all four schools. Even if I don't get in, at least I tried! And gosh darn it, I'm not too shabby! :)

-Graduated from a private research university with an excellent PhD placement record

-Worked as a research assistant in college

-Good GPA and GREs

-Have won several very competitive research fellowships, and consequently have independent research experience abroad in two countries

-Speak two languages fluently, one semi-fluently (but fluently in the next 6 months or so), and three at the beginning/intermediate level

-I think my recommenders wrote good things

We'll see how things go! I'm super nervous about getting in anywhere!

Well OK, but only because my psyche needs it.

GRE: 770V/760Q/5.5AW

GPA: 3.75 Undergrad, 4.0 in Master's program. Graduated Summa Cum Laude from undergrad (school was famously anti-grade-inflation)

Going to receive Master's this spring, with absolute superstar advisor

Expect solid LORs

Solid SOP

Have been in good contact with possible advisors - met with a couple of them and things went well

Actually, the last professor I met with left me with this: "Well, this all sounds good and I think you'd be a good match here. Though the admissions process is basically just a lottery, so I can't say much more than that."

We're all just playing the lottery! So might as well sit back, relax, and scratch our tickets.

I'm looking at a variety of programs to address the communication of science - the whole spectrum, from journalism to communications to science and technology studies!

GRE: excellent verbal, pretty good writing, decent enough quantitative for the humanities

GPA: 3.53 from a notoriously tough undergraduate program

Work: have worked in related fields for 5+ years, starting as an undergrad and continuing until now, 2.5 years after graduating

SOP: worked on SOPs for literally 5 months

LOR: two of my recommenders have already landed me 2 jobs (albeit at the same uni where I was a student), and the third LOVES me and we've stayed in touch since I took his class

Publications: I've had a couple news articles published for the university where I work/went to school

Networking: worked with a professor in one of the departments last semester on job-related stuff

Networking, continued: another professor (at the same department) knows my current supervisor, had a great conversation with me last fall where we talked about about his work, the department, and my plans/thoughts and I think we really bonded (I hope?!?), AND will be teaching the class I'm taking for work in the spring

Academics: Biology major, plus French literature minor, plus the equivalent of a minor in linguistics, PLUS several post-graduation courses in literature/literary theory covers the life sciences, social sciences and humanities bases

1. 4.0 Graduate GPA.

2. At least one fantastic letter of recommendation. Probably 3. But I only got to read the one.

3. Presented at a conference; accepted at 2 more conferences that are happening in March.

4. Publishable writing sample - and attempting to publish it currently.