The positives thread

captiv8ed

*Disclaimer: this post makes me feel sick, but not as sick as reading all previous, incredibly kick-ass, intimidating posts.*

-3.8 overall GPA, 4.03 major GPA (we do +/- and I've gotten 1 - and 3 +s)

-Decent GRE (89 percentile for verbal--and my actual score was the lowest verbal I've gotten (compared to practices), so I could retake it if I don't get in and improve my score)

-1.5 years of research experience

-1 poster presentation done, one coming up

-1st poster presentation won 3rd place (but it was in a session only at my university, not a conference)

-I got a travel grant from the Honors College at my university to present 2nd poster at a conference

-My advisor did an independent study with me where he taught me a general survey of grad-level stats, which he mentioned in my LOR, apparently a lot, because the word bubble he gave me had stats/analyses/etc. frequently and large.

-Pretty decent fit with the schools I'm applying to

-I was a TA for a research methods course

-I'm the Lab Manager for the lab I'm currently in (a promotion I got too late to include in my apps, but whatevs. I can mention it in an interview if I get one)

-My main LOR is pretty confident I'll get in to at least one program, and my 3rd thinks I'll get at least 2 offers.

Edited by moralresearcher

-My advisor did an independent study with me where he taught me a general survey of grad-level stats, which he mentioned in my LOR, apparently a lot, because the word bubble he gave me had stats/analyses/etc. frequently and large.

Your prof gave you a word bubble of the LOR??!

Amazing.

* Won the prize for best MA score & dissertation of my year.

* My MA tutor (& principle LOR writer) is very prominent in his field and personally known to most of the faculty to whom I applied.

* Recently gave a lecture on my research topic at Oxford University.

* My writing sample was graded 80% (about as high a grade as British schools hand out).

* GRE verbal: 800. GRE AW: 6.

And to top it all...

*GRE quant: 460 (like I give a crap! - ok, that might sound conceited, but I don't think art historians care much about this).

* My GRE's are solid (99th percentile in verbal, a reasonable showing for quant).

* I went to a highly respected, rigorous small liberal arts college. Hopefully this will reflect positively on me!

* I have had a successful career in nonprofits since graduating from college, working my way up from entry-level to management over a few years. Not that most programs seem to care about non-academic job experience, but as SOME of the programs I'm applying to ARE more non-academic/nonprofit-oriented, I feel this may be a plus.

Since everything else my app is a bit questionable, I'll leave it at that and try to avoid reading about everyone else's amazing accomplishments! :-)

Edited by Katzenmusik

3.7 GPA in graduate work. (not that great)

Decent GRE score for a sociology applicant (I think)

Multiple conference presentations. (already accepted to do more in a few months)

Great LoR's (some coming from people who know faculty at a few of my top choices)

Teaching experience, both as a GTA and an Adjunct Instructor.

I have a submission to a journal, but it probably wont get accepted the first time around.

Finished my MA pretty damn fast.

Nothing exemplary.

If PhD department choice #1 at one uni doesn't work out, department choice #2 MUST. This is from their website; this is what I already do:

Department outreach also focuses on specific communication issues: We have projects to improve scientific and technological communication between the University, Cooperative Extension educators, and constituents throughout XYZ State and beyond.

The PI of my program's grant is responsible for coordinating research on the following on this university's campus:

Our ongoing outreach programs demonstrate our commitment to sustainability within our local community and throughout the world.

Department choice #2 also CLEARLY prefers taking applicants from their own university (that I attended) in MY MAJOR.

AAHHH! Should I have put this department as choice #1?!? :o

Oh right, no: Department chair said my #1 choice makes more sense, and that #2 department would still consider me if #1 doesn't have enough money to take me...

/stream of consciousness

Edited by red_crayons

Applying for first masters in Architecture

3.79 Undergrad Major GPA - Major Public Uni.

720 Quantitative, commendable Verbal

Received professional accreditation from national institute.

I was a chosen to work as a teaching assistant for a graduate level course while in UG.

Three solid years of work experience, at management level (and teaching), two years out of UG.

LORs all three from distinguished alumni of my top programs.

Worked professionally and as a student for one of my LORs

Fabulous 64 page portfolio of work, unanimously praised by peers.

Published scholarly article in widely circulated news magazine.

Excited, ready to work with the best of the best.

That was refreshing.

I need a boost right now - something to keep my spirits high while waiting it out. So here it goes...

-My GRE was high (700V, 790Q, 6AWA), so schools should take me seriously.

-Solid LOR's

-Volunteer work related to my field

-I'm a statistical programmer. If I get into the program, they'll DEFINITELY want me as a research assistant and waive my tuition, right?

well ill emerge from lurkerdom in a vain attempt to make myself feel less crappy

3.77 undergrad gpa from a well respect slac with a rep for rigorous grading

680v/650m/5.5aw gre, kind of underwhelming but don't profs have to be aware that it's just BS?

hopefully excellent recs, unless i'm living in a fantasy world (and usually i am)

an SOP i worked hard on, so it had better be good

ditto for my writing sample

ah waiting for decisions... kind of like occupying the liminal space between the pits of despair and the escalator to joy

i'm humanities by the way- all top programs, around 5-10% admit rates in a very competitive sub field (damn I can't even avoid going into negatives)

anyone else feel as if their soul is slowly fossilizing waiting for this to be over?

While I like to keep a realistic view of things...today I feel a little pick-me-up is in order.

*Four great letters of recommendation, one from a particularly bright name in my field

*A unique statement of intent, that shows not only my academic background, but a well-worded explanation of what I want to study and why it is important.

*A very good writing sample that I am submitting for publication in the near future.

*Decent GPA in my major.

*Not embarrassing GRE scores.

However, looking at some of the other responses on this board, I am now convinced that I am doomed. So I'm going to go crawl inside a bottlebiggrin.gif

I totally need a pick me up today, as I'm only applying to one program and the wait is killing me.

Here goes...

-Good Biology subject test score -- 97th percentile (880)

-Decent GREs (700V 750Q 5.5AW)

-Decent GPA from Ivy League school (3.5)

-Two publications and several conference abstracts

-M.A. in Biology at same institution

-LORs from three professors at the same school where I'm applying, plus excellent LOR from undergrad mentor

-Positive feedback from two profs in the program

-Maturity as compared to when I was first in a doctoral program (I prefer this to saying "old")

We'll see what happens; if nothing else, this made me feel better for today!

I need someone to please tell me that I have a strong app.

1 year research experience, presented poster at national conference

High GPA (3.82)

Double major (math and physics) with a minor (cellular biology)

4 glowing LORs (one offered to write it)

2 years tutoring experience

top of class in physics, near top in math

high GRE score (GREQ: 780)

There is a difference between "positivity" and delusions of self grandeur.

Look, the purpose of this thread is to post nothing but the positive things. If you don't like it, don't read the thread.

I think it's good for people to take a moment and think about their strengths. Keeping the mood up, we all need that :)

PS. iWILLgetin; It sure does look like a strong app to me! :)

Edited by waylance

Ah. This thread is so brilliant on so many levels (look at how many people just have to qualify their positive lists even though this is just pure fun thread and the OP specifically said to avoid that. No I don't have approval for that study. :P )! I'm sure this brilliance is going to show in the OPs application as well!

Hey the rules say you have to address some of the other people's posts!

well ill emerge from lurkerdom in a vain attempt to make myself feel less crappy

3.77 undergrad gpa from a well respect slac with a rep for rigorous grading

680v/650m/5.5aw gre, kind of underwhelming but don't profs have to be aware that it's just BS?

hopefully excellent recs, unless i'm living in a fantasy world (and usually i am)

an SOP i worked hard on, so it had better be good

ditto for my writing sample

ah waiting for decisions... kind of like occupying the liminal space between the pits of despair and the escalator to joy

i'm humanities by the way- all top programs, around 5-10% admit rates in a very competitive sub field (damn I can't even avoid going into negatives)

anyone else feel as if their soul is slowly fossilizing waiting for this to be over?

Not only is the adcom is going to take the grading policies of your undergrad institution into account, but the recs are going to make them offer you full funding.

There is a difference between "positivity" and delusions of self grandeur.

Link

But don't worry, I'm sure that your serious nature make you a very serious student, a trait that would certainly be appreciated by the adcoms.

While I like to keep a realistic view of things...today I feel a little pick-me-up is in order.

*Four great letters of recommendation, one from a particularly bright name in my field

*A unique statement of intent, that shows not only my academic background, but a well-worded explanation of what I want to study and why it is important.

*A very good writing sample that I am submitting for publication in the near future.

*Decent GPA in my major.

*Not embarrassing GRE scores.

However, looking at some of the other responses on this board, I am now convinced that I am doomed. So I'm going to go crawl inside a bottlebiggrin.gif

So basically everything about your app is good? Awesome.

I totally need a pick me up today, as I'm only applying to one program and the wait is killing me.

Here goes...

-Good Biology subject test score -- 97th percentile (880)

-Decent GREs (700V 750Q 5.5AW)

-Decent GPA from Ivy League school (3.5)

-Two publications and several conference abstracts

-M.A. in Biology at same institution

-LORs from three professors at the same school where I'm applying, plus excellent LOR from undergrad mentor

-Positive feedback from two profs in the program

-Maturity as compared to when I was first in a doctoral program (I prefer this to saying "old")

We'll see what happens; if nothing else, this made me feel better for today!

1400s gre, recs, and they know you already!

I need someone to please tell me that I have a strong app.

1 year research experience, presented poster at national conference

High GPA (3.82)

Double major (math and physics) with a minor (cellular biology)

4 glowing LORs (one offered to write it)

2 years tutoring experience

top of class in physics, near top in math

high GRE score (GREQ: 780)

You're so good they're offering to write your letters. Own their own. How cool is that.

I could go into details, but just saying that I'm awesome and that the schools should be fighting for me would suffice. In fact, they should have an auction of sorts, doing their best trying to convince me to pick them. :D:lol:;)

Edited by profound_g

Okay, here goes.

Decent GPA 3.4 at a tough school - 2 years Dean's List.

In-Field Honor Society member

Glowing (surely) LORs written by three well-known scholars in my field

RA for one of my letter writers, who is pretty influential

I applied to my alma mater, so they should like me, right? :)

Studied in Russia, then lived abroad after graduating

Wrote my thesis and writing sample under one of the leading scholars in the country

Time off from school let me rack up tons of work experience with labor unions, non-profits, etc.

During my time off from school, continuous participation in the professional association

Great meetings with potential advisors

Meticulously chosen schools that align with my research and professional interests

(I think this is the part where I start to worry...)

I applied to my alma mater, so they should like me, right? :)

Quite possibly, but don't take it personally if they don't. Some programs make a policy of not accepting their own undergrads, because of the problems associated with having all of one's training from the same place. If there is no such policy, on the other hand, you may have an advantage.

So basically everything about your app is good? Awesome.

I don't think so. I said a decent GPA in my major...3.6ish to be precise. I've seen others with much better GPAs, and that tends to worry me. My GRE scores...while I got a 90th %ile on verbal, my analytical writing was a dismal 4.5, which isn't so hot for a history major.

In essence, I'm hoping the adcoms will see my writing sample and assume I didn't have a good test day.

I implied that I'm banking on the "peripherals" (SOI, LORs, writing sample) to tip the balance in my favor.