Most Expensive Application Fee

The_Last_Thylacine

If you aren't Canadian, the fees to apply in Canada are immense. The spreadsheet says I paid ~120 USD to apply to UBC last year. CUNY's are also huge - spreadsheet says that one was $125.

Edited by MentalEngineer

9 minutes ago, MentalEngineer said:

If you aren't Canadian, the fees to apply in Canada are immense. The spreadsheet says I paid ~120 USD to apply to UBC last year. CUNY's are also huge - spreadsheet says that one was $125.

The joys of low tuition at public universities.  :mellow:

14 hours ago, MentalEngineer said:

Yeah. My most expensive one last year was U of British Columbia, which I think was something like 200 bucks. 

Edit: my spreadsheet says I paid 180 to UBC. Maybe they liked you 60 dollars worth more than me.

Edited by dgswaim

On 9/29/2016 at 11:28 AM, dgswaim said:

Yeah. My most expensive one last year was U of British Columbia, which I think was something like 200 bucks. 

Edit: my spreadsheet says I paid 180 to UBC. Maybe they liked you 60 dollars worth more than me.

The fee is in CAD; you probably paid at a bad time.

12 minutes ago, matchamatcha said:

I cry when I think about this in CAD given that I will almost certainly not get in.

$125 for an application fee is ridiculous. Well, I guess all of them are. We should not have to pay a fee to have someone read our applications. It's crazy.

And I just noticed your stats. How in the world did you get a perfect score on the writing portion of the GRE? I practiced writing with several prompts and I I thought my 4.0 score was pretty good. But a 6.0? Wow!!

Edited by speechfan222

Just now, speechfan222 said:

$125 for an application fee is ridiculous. Well, I guess all of them are. We should have to pay a fee to have someone read our applications. It's crazy.

And I just noticed your stats. How in the world did you get a perfect score on the writing portion of the GRE? I practiced writing with several prompts and I I thought my 4.0 score was pretty good. But a 6.0? Wow!!

I'm so upset about a lot of the application fees since many of the US schools I looked into only waive application fees for US applicants (or those who have studied in the US) who participate in some variety of diversity programs, and all the Canadian schools only waive it if you're not Canadian (and I'm Canadian).  Guess I'll stock up on ramen for the next few months.

Thanks!  Like most things in life, the 6.0 was a little bit of catering to the audience and a whole lot of luck.  I got a topic that I felt I could write on at length, and since I had heard that length is one of their main factors of marking, I did exactly that.  Sadly, I don't think it counts for as much as I'd like it to. :( 

I guess you did get lucky! That's awesome!

I love the line at the end of your stats - There's always next year. Haha. I shouldn't laugh, but that's a good one. Okay I'm dumb. I think I figured out how to add 'extras' to the end of a comment, but I didn't see how to change the font color. Where do you change that at?

19 minutes ago, speechfan222 said:

I guess you did get lucky! That's awesome!

I love the line at the end of your stats - There's always next year. Haha. I shouldn't laugh, but that's a good one. Okay I'm dumb. I think I figured out how to add 'extras' to the end of a comment, but I didn't see how to change the font color. Where do you change that at?

Account Settings -> Signature -> Highlight the text you want to change the colour of -> the third last button going from the left (the "A" beside the drop down box that says "font") -> pick a colour :)

I figured it would be something like that, but I only have the B, I, U, and the smiley face for emoticons. There is no A at all. I see one here when I type comments, but nothing under the signature section of account settings. No big deal, was just curious. But that's strange...