Applications - Should I send more? Help!

speechfan222

Hello everyone,

I've applied to a couple of universities that I feel pretty good about. I should be receiving acceptance letters within the next week to two weeks. Should I use the time I have while waiting, spend money on the application, transcript, and GRE fees, and complete a few more applications just in case I don't get accepted (for whatever reason)? Or should I wait it out to see what happens, and send in more applications if I receive the bad news (or no news)?

Please let me know what you think. I want to use my time wisely, but don't want to spend money on the fees if not needed.

• 1 month later...

There is simply no way to know. Applications are hard to predict. I can say, however, that a "couple" (assuming two) is generally not enough. Most people recommend 5-8 schools. There are just so many reasons you may not be accepted that are out of your control.

But don't apply to schools that you would not attend. 

• 4 weeks later...

Very random- but were you able to submit your applications prior to having all of your LoR in? I want to start sending my applications early (most are due between Jan 15 and Feb 15) but I would love to get them finished and submitted prior to the New Year. The only thing I'm really waiting for is my letters of recommendations

I've heard different things about whether or not it's advantageous to submit them early to the deadlines

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@k_kismet I am not sure if you have submitted your applications yet, but I had a similar question before I submitted my applications. I got in touch with some program coordinators and the resounding answer was yes! You can submit your application before all your LoR's are in! However, the most important thing to note is that the fees are non-refundable in most if not all cases... So if your LoR drops the ball and doesn't submit in time, you will be out on the money you paid to apply (if the letter you need is required, not just an extra on top of the required number). Also you need to make sure that all other information is correct before you submit, because some parts of your application will lock in and you will have to contact the administrators to change any information in those areas, but usually your letter writer/recommendation area is left unlocked until the application deadline passes!

I hope this helps! It might not hurt to contact the administrators for the departments you are applying to if you have more questions! Better to hear it straight from the people responsible for taking application information!

3 hours ago, LadyScientist said:

@k_kismet I am not sure if you have submitted your applications yet, but I had a similar question before I submitted my applications. I got in touch with some program coordinators and the resounding answer was yes! You can submit your application before all your LoR's are in! However, the most important thing to note is that the fees are non-refundable in most if not all cases... So if your LoR drops the ball and doesn't submit in time, you will be out on the money you paid to apply (if the letter you need is required, not just an extra on top of the required number). Also you need to make sure that all other information is correct before you submit, because some parts of your application will lock in and you will have to contact the administrators to change any information in those areas, but usually your letter writer/recommendation area is left unlocked until the application deadline passes!

I hope this helps! It might not hurt to contact the administrators for the departments you are applying to if you have more questions! Better to hear it straight from the people responsible for taking application information!

awesome, thank you so much! this was great information. I will definitely try to call them and see what they say! 

4 minutes ago, sivakumaranandan said:

Please apply to handful of universities that you will really attend on admit. Applying to too many universities does help in anyway, other than serving as plan B. 

I'm telling you this because I noticed you have the "please do x" formulation in many of your posts: your use of the expression is not always appropriate, and it reads rude (at least to me). "Please do x" is sort of an order, or an invitation to do something but that's kinda mandatory. Or you can say "please find attached..." but with the "find" it's not an order. :D 

Honestly, I hope people (in my discipline at least) only apply to the programs they are sincerely passionate about and where faculty have similar research interests. If you apply to schools you really don't care to attend, you may inadvertently take a spot (or offer of such) away from someone who really wants it. Just something to keep in mind