The Geography 2017 Applications Thread!

EscapingBrexit

Did anyone apply to Stanford's Earth System Science PhD program and/or UC Berkeley's ESPM program and hear back about application status and/or invites to interviews?

@maninatikihut I was recently accepted to CU Boulder's geography master's program and found out via email from the adviser and department.

Hiya folks.

I was recently accepted to the University of Georgia (UGA) MS Geography program. I found out by checking my status and it said "Applicant Accepted Offer". I emailed them and they told me that means I had been accepted and showed me a scanned copy of the acceptance letter that was sent via post (I got it 2 weeks later here in Ireland). My status has now changed to "Offer of Admission". Has anyone seen this with UGA or does anyone understand the status meanings? I know they were doing a second round of funding offers after I spoke with my POI last week.

I'm also waiting on decisions from Oregon State and West Virginia. Cheers!

Alex

Just to update, in case anybody else is wondering what's out there. So far I've been rejected by U. Washington and CU Boulder...neither were a particularly great fit for me but they sting just the same. I have been accepted to Oregon, and I'm still waiting on Syracuse and UCLA, though I got an email from the latter saying they hope to make all of their decisions by March 1st. Continued luck to everyone. 

@maninatikihut, big congrats on Oregon! It's a lovely part of the country and it sounds like a great opportunity.

Updates:

University of Georgia | Accepted | Funding pending | MS Geography

Oregon State University | Accepted | No Funding | MS Geography

University of Tennessee | Accepted | Funding 2 years | MA Modern Foreign Languages (Applied Linguistics - German)

West Virginia University | Awaiting Decision | MS Geography

Edited by manseca

Update

Stanford (E-IPER): wait listed

UCL Geography: accepted!

Duke (MSC): wait listed

Colorado State (HDNR): still waiting to hear :)

Good luck to everyone! Finally some decisions are rolling in! Anyone else wait listed? It's agonizing!

Well done on your admits all!

I've missed out on Berkeley and Wisconsin-Madison, and had a very odd rejection from Michigan State (I still love it there though). 

Just waiting on Michigan and UCSB- fingers crossed. Sadly I note that a few UCSB applicants have heard back already, so I guess my chances are slim. 

Looks like I might be joining you at UCL @cefergus! They have two great MSc programs there I like the look of... though Edinburgh is currently winning for me!

Hi there!

Has anyone heard from British Columbia's PhD? I don't understand their admissions process. The graduate assistant informed me that admissions come out on a rolling basis until may. But the professor I'm in touch with told me that the committee was just about to meet during the first weeks of March. I'm confused.

I've been admitted to Clark and Melbourne's PhD's, with funding. I applied to Cornell's development sociology phd (has a nice focus on rural/ environment) and received news today that I've been waitlisted. Either UBC or Cornell would be amazing. Fingers crossed.

I've also been admitted to Oxford's MSc in Nature, Society and Environmental Governance -however, no funding there. Scholarship options are narrow. If you have information, let me know.

Very best to you all!

Edited by BiancaDelRio

12 hours ago, BiancaDelRio said:

Hi there!

Has anyone heard from British Columbia's PhD? I don't understand their admissions process. The graduate assistant informed me that admissions come out on a rolling basis until may. But the professor I'm in touch with told me that the committee was just about to meet during the first weeks of March. I'm confused.

I've been admitted to Clark and Melbourne's PhD's, with funding. I applied to Cornell's development sociology phd (has a nice focus on rural/ environment) and received news today that I've been waitlisted. Either UBC or Cornell would be amazing. Fingers crossed.

I've also been admitted to Oxford's MSc in Nature, Society and Environmental Governance -however, no funding there. Scholarship options are narrow. If you have information, let me know.

Very best to you all!

From what I understand from going through their admissions process last year is that they do multiple rounds of acceptances/offers---they send out the first round, and wait to see who accepts the offers/declines them within a given time frame (They gave me three weeks to make my decision), and then once they've determined who has accepted or declined the offer, they go to the next round of admits.

Best of luck to you! UBC is an awesome school and the program there is top notch! :) 

Edited by GeographyOSU

38 minutes ago, GeographyOSU said:

From what I understand from going through their admissions process last year is that they do multiple rounds of acceptances/offers---they send out the first round, and wait to see who accepts the offers/declines them within a given time frame (They gave me three weeks to make my decision), and then once they've determined who has accepted or declined the offer, they go to the next round of admits.

Best of luck to you! UBC is an awesome school and the program there is top notch! :) 

Thanks so much! Wow. So they are probably in their first or second round. Blimey. I'll try to calm down.

Have a nice term :)

I got my offer for the DPhil programme at Oxford today :)

It was the only one I applied to… basically an "all or nothing" kind of thing, so I'm accepting the offer.

I did my master's here as well, and I am happy to answer questions or offer any insight to those of you thinking about coming!

I'm in a tricky, awful, wonderful situation in which I've been offered full funding through ORS to UCL, but they want to know by March 24. And I'm on the waitlist at Stanford (E-IPER), my top choice, but am not guaranteed to hear until April 15! What to do besides pull my hair out...

On 2017/3/8 at 7:39 AM, maninatikihut said:

Any word for anybody from UCLA or Syracuse?

I received a waitlist position from UCLA on March 17th. Guess I am better expecting someone to withdraw his offer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone! Excited to see so many acceptances for this season. I know I am starting a bit early but after graduating a semester early this December with my Masters degree I will be applying for Spring 2018 (where applicable) and Fall 2018 elsewhere. Do you have any recommendations on when to start contacting Graduate programs and PIs? My advisor hasn't been much help as of yet and doesn't think that contacting PIs is a big deal, but I have heard otherwise from other successful PhD applicants. I appreciate all of your advice and help!

@Nordic I'd recommend contacting potential supervisors for sure :) 

I sent an initial email to places I was serious about along the lines of 'these are my interests - i see they align with ur interests - if you'd be interested in accepting students for the 2018/whatever programme then i'd love to chat with you". I ended up skyping a few people, I think it helps as it shows them you're serious about it and they remember you when you send in your application. I saw it as 'well if i wanted to work with somebody at my current university, i'd knock on their door and chat to them, so it makes sense to try and do the same thing online with academics at other schools'.