TWU TETN Cycle 9

• 3 weeks later...

I applied- Sue Colton emailed me back on Nov. 3rd and said that my application had been rec'd & processed. The admissions committee will be meeting soon. She didn't say when but back in Feb, they said that we would know approx Dec 15th. I didn't reach out to Sue, I happened to hit that gmail account instead of my other one to check my email at random the other day and saw that and 2 other random emails from TWU graduate dept emails.. One was about Student Regent and the other was Graduate School Forum. Just random... it was like okay... sure.... I'm not a student there... (yet!)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I received the email about it being received and processed but not the other ones you mention, MH13.  Thanks for putting the date Dec. 15th up.  I was thinking it was going to be this week and was starting to get SuPeR nervous.  Good luck to you guys!  What regions are yall in?

Hey everyone, 

I'm region 10/11. I haven't heard anything either besides my application being received and processed. What were everyone's stats like?

I'm an SLP-Assistant at a clinic, 4.0 post-bacc GPA, Autism Certification, 3.4 undergrad GPA, bilingual, GRE Total: 288 and Writing 3.5. I'm nervous on how my GRE scores might affect me. Anyone else applied to the bilingual track for Region 10 or 11??

Edited by Speechiegirl12

Hello all!

I am sure everyone is anxiously awaiting their letters. PLEASE post here when you get your acceptance letter via email. That way we all know when to start stalking our inbox (like we aren't already doing that). :) 

December 15 is only 8 days away!

I am Region 17- This is my 2nd year as a SLP-A in a school district. My caseload is made up of 49 PPCD- High school kiddos (and growing..and that's roughly half of the speech/lang students in our district). I'm about to graduate with my M Ed in SPED with dual certs in Autism and ABA, 3.75 UG (I also had a baby during undergrad, which was super stressful), GRE 300,  Writing 5.0. I really should have re-taken the GRE, BUT I was so hesitant to mess up that writing score. I am not bilingual, but we have a new SLPA in my district and she is and was seriously considering it next app cycle- she missed this one.

Edited by MH13

I meant to ask if y'all got the TWU viewbook in the mail as well back in October? My coworker who missed the deadline for this cycle didn't. I did, but I told her I didn't know if anyone else did..maybe it was if you submitted everything they sent one. She got the app on applytexas completed and the department application portion finished, just didn't get the letters of recommendation in time, so she is going to have to apply the next cycle.

Here is a copy and paste of the email I got about it the day it came in the mail. The viewbook was the printed version of this email..so basically got it twice.

Greetings from Texas Woman's University!
Hello M (I deleted my name for privacy),

We can't wait to share the NEW TWU Viewbook for 2017-18! It will be arriving in your mailbox soon, in the meantime take advantage of our digital TWU Viewbook

A few highlights include: 

• Scholarship, financial aid, and cost information is on page 3.
  • Campus Visit information is available on page 8. We invite you to visit Texas Woman's.  Take a look at your calendar and plan your visit soon! 
  • Want to know more about Online Degree options?  Check out page 10.
  • Details on admission requirements and how to apply can be found on page 11.
  • From Business to Nutrition, Dance to Physical Therapy - TWU has graduate programs to take your professional journey to the next step. Graduate programs are on page 12-13!

We hope you enjoy the TWU Viewbook and find it helpful as you plan for graduate school. 

Sincerely,

ashton-brown.jpg
Ashton Brown
Assistant Director

morgan-odonnell.jpg
Morgan O'Donnell
Associate Director of Graduate Recruitment

Hmmm I never got that and I turned everything in.  Well hopefully that is a good sign for you.  As for my stats, I have been a SLP-Assistant for 7 years total with this being my 5th year with my school district.  I have a GPA of 3.02 for UG and a GRE score of 308.  Writing was 4.0   This week I will complete the ATACP from California State University at Northridge.   I know my UG GPA is pretty low....ok like really low but I am hoping that since I have been working for 7 years it will out weight the GPA.  While I didn't have a baby in UG (which by the way MH13, that is GPA is super impressive!!!), it was not the best time for me.  Best of luck everyone!!  

Weird!!!! I hope that is a good sign. I thought that was part of what everyone got once everything was submitted. It had the dates for financial aid application, scholarship deadlines, and listed the graduate programs- nothing in depth. I'm really trying HARD to not get my hopes up. Thanks for the GPA compliment.. I seriously don't know HOW I did it.. zero special treatment for sure. When I had my son, I missed a test. Well, my prof allowed me to make it up, the day I returned...which was a week after I had my son via c-section. Yes. A WEEK. Post-op. I some how pulled it off and had decent grades that semester. I had a lot of help from family and my husband so I could finish.

Good luck everyone... seriously. We all need it.

Hello everyone! I hope you guys are trying to distract yourselves. I am failing at it. I keep staring at my computer waiting for something to change. Does anyone know how many people applied to different regions? I was intimidated when I went to the informational meeting. So many people!  Anyway, good luck with everything. I am getting really nervous. 

I received the viewbook but maybe it depends on the date that you submitted your application on apply texas? I submitted the app on September 2nd and the email was sent on the 20th which was before I submitted all of my documents to the department. Since the email was from TWU and not the program, maybe there was a cutoff date for the viewbook.

I feel like the time between the deadline till december 1st flew by, but now the days are dragging. I'm so nervous and get nervous each time I see a new post, thinking maybe someone is letting us know that they received an email.

As far as number of people applying, I'm not sure. I'm in region 4 and attended the first information meeting. The room was filled and that was just one meeting, so I'm definitely nervous to find out how many people applied. 

Good luck everyone!

I went back and looked.. you're right on the Sept. email of the view book. I was thinking it was October- that's when my physical book came. I have a PO Box and a physical address and they tried to send it to my physical address, which it sat at the post office for a couple of weeks and I got that in October. The normal mail carrier wasn't there to just put it in my box anyway.. yeah- it happens. Anyways, I was literally the first one in my region who signed up for the first information meeting- they have the seat count haha. Anyways, I went back and looked- ours weren't ever full, but we had a lot attend... I would say approx 55 in the first meeting. Anyways, out of 55, we had 5 SLPAs- including myself. Some people didn't have the leveling courses done...some seemed to scoff at the thought of taking a year of courses before graduate school...so who knows how many really applied. One girl who went with me didn't apply but attended... so take that into consideration as well. They said it will be competitive and I believe them!

Region 10...294 total GRE/ 3 AW

GPA: :unsure:3.2 Undergraduate /4.0 Postgraduate

5 years--School based SLP Assistant 

I received the email about the viewbook, one about the Student Regent application deadline  and even a holiday greeting message! When all I really need them to send me is that acceptance or denial letter! I've sat through information sessions for 3 cycles and finally decided to apply this time around. Praying they look at the total package!  Fingers, legs, arms and eyes crossed!!!!!

Edited by Moxie-19

MH13, did you have to sign up for your Masters in Special Ed to get your cert in ABA? Or was the ABA cert separate, if so where did you get it from?

Anyone else already looking into other graduate programs or possibly a change in career? I want to stay positive, but it's super hard!!

Edited by Speechiegirl12

I am doing mine as a distance ed student through Texas Tech. It is a stand alone certificate, but I chose to go ahead and get my M Ed. (at least it was when I started a year and a half ago.) I haven't been taking summer classes, and if I had, I would have been done already. I know if you plan to sit for the exam and become a BCBA, you will need a master's degree. I initially began with the autism certificate, got it done and I only needed 2 more ABA classes for the cert, so why not? I've learned a LOT and TBH, my M Ed courses have helped out a LOT with understanding SPED, as a SLP- Assistant in the schools, I need to be more familiar with SPED than what we are told in UG. Basically it was, as a SLP-Assistant (should you not go to graduate school), you will probably work in the schools. That was IT. :blink:

Hi all!  Applied Region 10. I applied during Cycle 8 and heard back on Dec.  9, too, so decisions should be coming in very soon.  They'll go alphabetically once they start and it'll take maybe up to 3 days to fully get back to everyone!  Good luck!  Nerves are kicking in for me,  too! 

1 hour ago, JoD3o said:

Hi all!  Applied Region 10. I applied during Cycle 8 and heard back on Dec.  9, too, so decisions should be coming in very soon.  They'll go alphabetically once they start and it'll take maybe up to 3 days to fully get back to everyone!  Good luck!  Nerves are kicking in for me,  too! 

Oh wow... well, did they drag it out over those 3 days? I'm like Moxie-19... thanks for the other emails TWU... but, I really want to know THE information we are all salivating over.... did we get IN or NOT?! It's going to be a LONG weekend y'all.... Just hope I get the news I want...esp if I'm at work.

Did you get random TWU emails in your TWU email acct like some of us have when you applied during Cycle 8? One of my UG classmates and current M Ed classmates applied during Cycle 8 and did not get anything like that. 

Edited by MH13