Penn GSE

day_manderly

4 hours ago, Supraja said:

Congratulations!!

I have applied to the M.S.Ed. in Education Policy. I turned in my application only in late January. Does anyone know when I am expected to hear from them? Since Penn GSE has rolling applications, I'm not sure when to expect a response from them.

I remember reading on the website that between four to six weeks after your app is ready for review 

Got an email from Penn GSE saying that my application is complete and that decisions will be released within the next couple of weeks.

Just wondering, did everyone else get this email? I did apply for a fellowship/scholarship and I think the deadline was March 1st so I'm wondering if I got this email because of that. I submitted my application in late November/early December but because of a study abroad transcript issue and slow communication with Penn GSE my application wasn't marked "Ready to Review" until 1/27.

1 hour ago, midmarsh said:

Got an email from Penn GSE saying that my application is complete and that decisions will be released within the next couple of weeks.

Just wondering, did everyone else get this email? I did apply for a fellowship/scholarship and I think the deadline was March 1st so I'm wondering if I got this email because of that. I submitted my application in late November/early December but because of a study abroad transcript issue and slow communication with Penn GSE my application wasn't marked "Ready to Review" until 1/27.

Received it too. Which fellowship/scholarship did you apply to? 

2 hours ago, Girl with Buddha Tattoo said:

Received it too. Which fellowship/scholarship did you apply to? 

Did you receive it before you got accepted? I applied for the Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship and sent that in mid-February, I think

49 minutes ago, midmarsh said:

Did you receive it before you got accepted? I applied for the Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship and sent that in mid-February, I think

Actually, I applied to two programs. First one was EPS in Dec than I happened to visit UPenn in Jan and realised IDEP is more aligned to my career goals. I had already check-box IDEP in my December application as an additional program that I want to be considered. But they told me for actually getting considered for IDEP, I have to create a separate application. And so, I wrote another application and submitted in Feb sometime for which I received an email yesterday.

36 minutes ago, Girl with Buddha Tattoo said:

Actually, I applied to two programs. First one was EPS in Dec than I happened to visit UPenn in Jan and realised IDEP is more aligned to my career goals. I had already check-box IDEP in my December application as an additional program that I want to be considered. But they told me for actually getting considered for IDEP, I have to create a separate application. And so, I wrote another application and submitted in Feb sometime for which I received an email yesterday.

I wish I had done the same. I only check-boxed IEDP in my EPS application assuming the same application would be used for both programs. I didn't get into the Education Policy program, so I think I have lost out on both programs now.

6 hours ago, midmarsh said:

I got this email yesterday too and I submitted my application mid-January

7 hours ago, midmarsh said:

Hi Midmarsh,

I received the same email, and I haven't applied to any scholarships. FYI, my application went to 'Ready for Review' on the 18th of February. I don't think you should read into it too much :)

I was admitted to the MSEd programme after applying for a PhD and given a 13,500 merit scholarship. I definitely won't be accepting since I already have an MA (and from a higher ranked university than Upenn), so i hope this helps out one of you on the waitlist or someone who has been waitlisted for funding.

Edited by istanbulnotconstantinople

18 minutes ago, istanbulnotconstantinople said:

I was admitted to the MSEd programme after applying for a PhD and given a 13,500 merit scholarship. I definitely won't be accepting since I already have an MA (and from a higher ranked university than Upenn), so i hope this helps out one of you on the waitlist or someone who has been waitlisted for funding.

I was also admitted to MSEd for Ed Policy after applying PhD (and given also that $13,500 merit scholarship), but will also be declining / hope someone else on the waitlist benefits from this.

I've been lurking for a while, and I'm in the same boat: I applied to the PhD program and ended up being offered MSEd for Ed Policy and being given $13,500 in merit. I'm viewing my choice through a different perspective: I have been applying to schools to shift my career in education. I already have an MA and have been teaching for the past five years. 

Given the price tag at UPenn after deducting $13,500, I'm warily considering attending. I'm not sure what career prospects would come from another Master's, albeit from UPenn. I also applied to UNC's PhD program, and am waiting on a decision from them in the next few weeks before making a final decision.

I just got in too with the same scholarship! I'm hopeful because of the mention of graduate assistantships, but I'm not sure if I can afford to go :/ Congrats to everyone!

$13,500 for me as well. I had applied for an M.S.Ed. in Teaching, Learning and Leadership in late December, and my application was marked ready for review on 1/17. Still too expensive for me but definitely a welcome boost as I wait for other decisions. 

Hi all, was wondering if any of you had info on the quality of the M.S.Ed in teaching, learning and leadership program. Have to choose between that and Teachers college, and feeling pretty conflicted. Are there classes in the program that are taught by grad students instead of professors? Is the program suitable for someone who wants to be involved in school research? Any help will be appreciated!

Hello, I am interested in the Penn SMART program. Has anyone been admitted for FA17? The admissions requirements state that applicants should have relevant background, not sure what they meant by that because I found out most students have Stats/Finance/Econ/Psych as their undergrad majors. I was an Education major in my undergrad, does that hinder my chances? 

On 3/2/2017 at 7:41 AM, RudolftheRed said:

I've been lurking for a while, and I'm in the same boat: I applied to the PhD program and ended up being offered MSEd for Ed Policy and being given $13,500 in merit. I'm viewing my choice through a different perspective: I have been applying to schools to shift my career in education. I already have an MA and have been teaching for the past five years. 

Given the price tag at UPenn after deducting $13,500, I'm warily considering attending. I'm not sure what career prospects would come from another Master's, albeit from UPenn. I also applied to UNC's PhD program, and am waiting on a decision from them in the next few weeks before making a final decision.

This is a very interesting dilemma. I already had a masters before deciding to get a second masters at HGSE (and was very very very close to choosing UPenn over HGSE). I didn't apply to any PhD programs (which was my initial intention because I already had a masters, but quickly realized that because I was changing directions, I'd probably be rejected from all PhD programs, so I just applied for a second masters instead). First of all, I just want to add that there are a nice handful of people who pursue a second masters. I am not the only one in my program. I think what most of us have in common is the desire to make a career shift of some kind. FWIW, I think it will be worth it for me. I taught for four years and have an MS Ed in Literacy. Although my HGSE degree (an EdM) will be another masters in education and somewhat redundant, it is in International Education Policy (development) which has been a completely different perspective, network, and set of opportunities. The internships and job interviews I am currently getting as a result of the past year in this program are ones that I would otherwise never have gotten with just my previous set of skills and degrees, and makes me confident that doing this very expensive second masters will ultimately be worth it because it will allow me to switch jobs in a big way, and pick up where I left off salary-wise. It is worth noting that at least part of the reason I ended up choosing HGSE over Penn was related to the price tag --- I got more merit scholarship from Penn than HGSE (where I got $0), but HGSE was still cheaper.

Also -- congrats to everyone with the $13.5K funding. I think they must've upped the average from last year.

Edited by Vulpix

Don't know if anyone else got this news today, but my program sent out a message & included a link showing that Penn GSE is ranked #3 nationally by US News & World Report (up from #7 last year).

And for my fellow Higher Ed admits, the Higher Education division is ranked #2! I know rankings don't mean a ton sometimes but it's fun to get this news as I try to decide where to go :)

Edited by easteregg

Hello, everyone!

I applied to Penn for Ed Policy (Masters). My application was marked "Ready for Review" on January 24th. I have heard back from almost every school, except for Penn. Should I assume this is a rejection? Those of you that applied, how soon after completion did you receive your decision?

1 hour ago, ed_applicant said:

Hello, everyone!

I applied to Penn for Ed Policy (Masters). My application was marked "Ready for Review" on January 24th. I have heard back from almost every school, except for Penn. Should I assume this is a rejection? Those of you that applied, how soon after completion did you receive your decision?

I heard back pretty soon. Or, sooner than I expected! My application was marked "ready for review" on 1/15 and I was admitted on 2/10. 

The waiting game is hard. If it were me, I might call and ask...