PhD Applicants Fall 2017

aj_h

Just got rejected from Columbia Sociomedical Sciences PhD. Kind of expected this. But this sucks. I had a really close match with faculty in terms of research interests here and I am currently an MPH student here. Darn. Sent via email, no interview.

2 minutes ago, SocialPubHealth said:

Just got rejected from Columbia Sociomedical Sciences PhD. Kind of expected this. But this sucks. I had a really close match with faculty in terms of research interests here and I am currently an MPH student here. Darn. Sent via email, no interview.

Just got rejected too. Wasn't my first choice, but still a bummer to get rejected! Good luck to other applicants, hope some of you have received better news!

30 minutes ago, SocialPubHealth said:

Same here, got an email a moment ago. Also had a close match with research interests with more than one faculty member there.Ā 

3 hours ago, epi_08 said:

Same here re UPitt- Happy for the acceptance but not sure who my mentor would be...are you going to the admitted students day on March 24th?Ā 

Yes, I plan to go to the admitted students day. What about you?

3 hours ago, SocialPubHealth said:

What about the structure of the program turns you off? Also, which track did you apply to for Columbia? I actually like Pitt's program but I'm not sure about the location. I would also need to confirm who my POI there is because if I don't get my first choice then it wouldn't be worth it to go there...

It's not so much the structure, it's more the absence of more social science-oriented courses in the curriculum. Ideally I wanted a program with a balance of public health and social sciences, in terms of the theoretical approach, methods, and practice. When I was interviewed the POI told me straight forward that the course load is not too strong on social theory, and that behavioral models dominate more than other social science approaches. He also said that it's a short PhD, with some student finishing in three years, and ideally no more than four.Ā 

It's definitely not a deal breaker, the POI said in my interview that the program would feel more like an Applied Medical Anthropology program that's more focus on practice than theory, which is still attractive.Ā 

I also have my doubts about the location. I live in California, and I am hesitant about the idea of moving to Pittsburgh.

11 minutes ago, Genly_Ai said:

It's not so much the structure, it's more the absence of more social science-oriented courses in the curriculum. Ideally I wanted a program with a balance of public health and social sciences, in terms of the theoretical approach, methods, and practice. When I was interviewed the POI told me straight forward that the course load is not too strong on social theory, and that behavioral models dominate more than other social science approaches. He also said that it's a short PhD, with some student finishing in three years, and ideally no more than four.Ā 

It's definitely not a deal breaker, the POI said in my interview that the program would feel more like an Applied Medical Anthropology program that's more focus on practice than theory, which is still attractive.Ā 

I also have my doubts about the location. I live in California, and I am hesitant about the idea of moving to Pittsburgh.

Really? Three years? Wow. Who did you speak to if you don't mind? BTW I'm a native Californian (SoCal) living in NYC. They told me Pitt's weather is similar to NYC. I've been able to acclimate, and that's a big deal lol. Let me know if you wanna PM.Ā 

26 minutes ago, Genly_Ai said:

Same here, got an email a moment ago. Also had a close match with research interests with more than one faculty member there.Ā 

I got an email earlier today with "Admission Status Update" as the subject from Mailman (sociomedical + sociology) along withĀ instructions to follow a link, but I've had no success actually getting past the log in screen - all a bit confusing seeing as I only ever had a SOPHAS log in and there is no place to create a new account. Was your experience similar?Ā completely different!?

I suspect I was rejected as well, seeing as they come in batches, but I need to read this for myself asap.

Edited by rkstahl

2 minutes ago, rkstahl said:

I got an email earlier today with "Admission Status Update" as the subject from Mailman (sociomedical + sociology) along withĀ instructions to follow a link, but I've had no success actually getting past the log in screen - all a bit confusing seeing as I only ever had a SOPHAS log in and there is no place to create a new account. Was your experience similar?Ā completely different!?

I suspect I was rejected as well, seeing as they come in batches, but I need to read this for myself asap.

Did you check your email for the PIN they provided?

6 minutes ago, SocialPubHealth said:

Did you check your email for the PIN they provided?

Yep, came in the same email and said:

"You will also need the following pin ( (password already established) )."

which is super confusing. I've never created a password for Columbia. And now I've been temporarily blocked from trying to log in various ways incorrectly in the last 30 minutes. sigh.

Edited by rkstahl

43 minutes ago, rkstahl said:

Yep, came in the same email and said:

"You will also need the following pin ( (password already established) )."

which is super confusing. I've never created a password for Columbia. And now I've been temporarily blocked from trying to log in various ways incorrectly in the last 30 minutes. sigh.

Try emailing them?

Also got rejected by Columbia. SIGH.

Ā 

Also, I was able to log in with my pin, etc, i created a new password and now when I go back to log in again, it tells me my password is wrong. Ā Anyone else have the same problem?

Edited by melvina

47 minutes ago, tre__ said:

Has anyone heard anything from UW Global Health (Metrics / Implementation Science)? I saw one acceptable earlier in Feb -- anyone want to claim it?

Rejected on 02/24. Implementation Science.

I got a strange email from Columbia Mailman last evening...

"Thank you for submitting your application to the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health doctoral program. Your application is in the final stages of review. Ā Since our doctoral programs are highly competitive we wanted to reach out to you to ask if you are not accepted into the doctoral program would you be willing to be considered for our masters program?"

Did anyone else who applied to the Sociomedical Sciences PhD program receive something like this? Considering other people were accepted/rejected yesterday, this almost seems like they are trying to solicit me into paying for a (second) master's rather than make a decision on my application. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, nycpizza said:

I got that too.. but I am applying with no masters, which is why I thought they were saying that.Ā 

Hm. That makes a little more sense, I suppose. But it is still an odd email to send out, especially so close to March 1. Why not send out acceptances to their top candidates, and then if they are that torn over some of theĀ applications eitherĀ waitlist/reject them, but pose the MPH as a possibility?

On 2/25/2017 at 1:38 PM, melvina said:

In terms of funding, if one is to be working 20 hours a week as part of their PhD package, how much can one expect to earn? Ā 

One university told me that the 20h packages are fairly uniform across universities. Is this true?

Ā 

20 hours ago, melvina said:

Anyone have any friends currently doing PhDs?

Hey! I have some friends doing PhDs right now. Packages are almost always 20 hours a week, and I've heard of earning between 16,000 and 30,000 per year on top of tuition remission. All schools I've applied to I've been able to look up exactly how much funding I could receive for RA or TA positions by googling graduate RA stipend and the school name. They usually list the minimum they're allowed to offer, and it doesn't include fellowships and stuff but that could help you figure out your baseline. I wish the schools that are going to help with funding would let us know already- all of them say you'll get an email about funding in the next few weeks and I've heard nothing so far!

42 minutes ago, PHNutr said:

I got a strange email from Columbia Mailman last evening...

"Thank you for submitting your application to the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health doctoral program. Your application is in the final stages of review. Ā Since our doctoral programs are highly competitive we wanted to reach out to you to ask if you are not accepted into the doctoral program would you be willing to be considered for our masters program?"

Did anyone else who applied to the Sociomedical Sciences PhD program receive something like this? Considering other people were accepted/rejected yesterday, this almost seems like they are trying to solicit me into paying for a (second) master's rather than make a decision on my application. Any thoughts?

Some institutions offer a spot in their master's program because your credentials are still desired by the institution. They might put you on the waitlist if you say no to the MPH consideration.Ā 

If you already have a masters and have an offer from another institution, I would tell them that soĀ they know your current application situation.Ā