Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

38 minutes ago, 01848p said:

How do you guys remember all the questions you want to ask? 

Write them down :) I've had phone interview so far so it hasn't been difficult, but I plan on bringing a small notebook I can fit in my bag for my in-person visits. People also bring copies of their CVs, so wherever they keep that they can keep a list of questions/paper to take notes if needed. 

21 minutes ago, dormcat said:

Write them down :) I've had phone interview so far so it hasn't been difficult, but I plan on bringing a small notebook I can fit in my bag for my in-person visits. People also bring copies of their CVs, so wherever they keep that they can keep a list of questions/paper to take notes if needed. 

and it's not looked down upon to be reading from a list when speaking to a faculty member? 

26 minutes ago, 01848p said:

and it's not looked down upon to be reading from a list when speaking to a faculty member? 

I don't think so. I mean, I might be the odd one out, but I have no issue being like, "I have a list of questions I'd like to ask you about the school and department, if we have time" or if they ask if I have questions I am okay saying, "Yes I have a list right here!" I interview undergrads at my work, and I'd rather they come with a written out list of talking points than sit and be like "ummmmmm.................I don't think so" when I ask if they have questions. It shows preparedness!

PS - good luck!

Edited by dormcat

I saw on Dates that someone was invited to interview weekend at University of Nebraska Lincoln for Social - was that one of y'all? I haven't gotten a response and i'm freaking out :( 

4 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Has anyone heard from UNCG's social program yet? 

I emailed my POI about three weeks ago. He told me he has finished reviewing the application but I was not on the short list. So I don't know whether they have sent interview invitations.

3 minutes ago, Rainydays said:

I just knew they will have meeting this week to decide the interviews.

How did you hear that (if you don't mind me asking), and thank you for the peace of mind! Has anyone reached out to you via phone or email?

In regards to KU: I emailed the graduate officer at KU late last week (as she is listed for asking application questions) and she informed me that she hadn't heard any news about them deciding on applicants. Hope this helps put some of us at ease. I'm also ASSUMING they will get together soon and start getting in touch this week or next. But only because SPSP is over. 

Edited by What'sMyName

4 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

In regards to KU: I emailed the graduate officer at KU late last week (as she is listed for asking application questions) and she informed me that she hadn't heard any news about them deciding on applicants. Hope this helps put some of us at ease. I'm also ASSUMING they will get together soon and start getting in touch this week or next. But only because SPSP is over. 

Thank you for the peace of mind ! 

Also, since I'm new here, I thought I would post what I've heard from which programs: 

Rutgers (New Brunswick) - Had a phone interview on the 6th (it went poorly) and I assume I have been wait listed as I haven't heard anything else. I'm pretty positive on-campus interview invitations have already been sent.

Penn State - POI told me I am wait listed.

UMich - Haven't heard a peep, but since rejections are going out I'm assuming I am wait listed.

Portland State University - Had a Skype interview this morning that I was very happy with! They will be giving invitations to the Visitor's Day in about 2 weeks.

University of Iowa - Nothing

University of North Dakota - Nothing

University of Kansas - emailed graduate officer late last week and she said she hasn't heard anything (as I had mentioned, but in case anyone missed it)

Stony Brook - Nothing

I'm hoping that good news will be abundant this week for all of us!

15 hours ago, What'sMyName said:

Also, since I'm new here, I thought I would post what I've heard from which programs: 

Rutgers (New Brunswick) - Had a phone interview on the 6th (it went poorly) and I assume I have been wait listed as I haven't heard anything else. I'm pretty positive on-campus interview invitations have already been sent.

UMich - Haven't heard a peep, but since rejections are going out I'm assuming I am wait listed.

Portland State University - Had a Skype interview this morning that I was very happy with! They will be giving invitations to the Visitor's Day in about 2 weeks.

University of Kansas - emailed graduate officer late last week and she said she hasn't heard anything (as I had mentioned, but in case anyone missed it)

Stony Brook - Nothing

Thanks for the info. Who was your POI for Rutgers if you don't mind me asking?

1 hour ago, PNIplz said:

To the person who was rejected from UCLA, was it directly from the POI? Was it departmental? I still haven't heard anything from them....

I got an email saying my online application status had changed

4 hours ago, WAJ said:

Has anyone heard from UCSC, UCR, University of Houston, and ASU?

UC Santa Cruz? I got an email to interview at the beginning of January, but it was for developmental. The PI said the program would be making decisions in the next 2-3 weeks, so by the end of January. Last cycle I applied there and knew by end of January, official rejection came mid-February. 

Did anyone else notice that a rejection has been posted in the results for KU? Or was that one of you that posted it? Ugh, sounds like they really are getting started! Stated 82 applicants, 3-4 spots. Anyone else feeling anxious?:unsure:

Edited by What'sMyName

On 1/23/2017 at 3:54 PM, What'sMyName said:

Stony Brook - Nothing

In regards to Portland State, who was your interview with and who is your POI? 

55 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

Did anyone else notice that a rejection has been posted in the results for KU? Or was that one of you that posted it? Ugh, sounds like they really are getting started! Stated 82 applicants, 3-4 spots. Anyone else feeling anxious?:unsure:

That was me :( Got my rejection e-mail tonight at 7:25 pm EST

I must have been the least qualified/interesting candidate in history for such a quick rejection :(

I am certain that is not true! A lot of the time it's because your POI wasn't able to take applicants this year. I am still waiting to hear from KU myself, and am betting that the system is just taking a while to email the rest of us.

16 minutes ago, marsbars said:

That was me :( Got my rejection e-mail tonight at 7:25 pm EST

I must have been the least qualified/interesting candidate in history for such a quick rejection :(

The KU rejection bug strikes! Trying to poke fun at my first rejection. I am just glad I am starting to hear back from programs. Congrats to those who heard better news. Crazy to think they are only accepting between 3-4% of the applicants.

14 minutes ago, ForeverJung said:

The KU rejection bug strikes! Trying to poke fun at my first rejection. I am just glad I am starting to hear back from programs. Congrats to those who heard better news. Crazy to think they are only accepting between 3-4% of the applicants.

It's wild!!!! 
I hope that the odds are better in other programs!