Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

Thanks for this information! I'm concerned they are inviting so many people for so few spots though. 

1 hour ago, What'sMyName said:

Update for Rutgers: Just finished a Skype interview with a different possible mentor at Rutgers. It wasn't my original POI but it went well! I was informed that the committee should be meeting soon and it sounded like invites for their weekend will go out by end of next week. Interview weekend will be the 24th. They are admitting approx 4 students, and interviewing probably 20 on-campus. 

28 minutes ago, canessa said:

I usually try and read the POI's work before going to the interview but usually it's so rare that they ask about their own specific papers. They have SO many that they've published, it's hard for them to expect you to have read a SPECIFIC one. Most of my interviews have usually had them ask me what my interests are and I try to relate it back to similar concepts that they study and after I explain what I do I ask them to tell me about a project that they're working on currently that they are most passionate about now. When exploring research questions together, I've had a POI ask me if I'm familiar with another researcher's work or ask me if I've read a specific paper of their own but I'm usually honest and say I'm not familiar with it and they explain to me what it is, they've never acted offended or upset. From my experience, It's good to know their work but it's not necessarily a requirement and they're not going to quiz you on it. 

Thanks! That's generally how I expected it to go, but I had an conversation last week where the POI seemed really unimpressed that I hadn't read a certain paper/was unfamiliar with a certain theory, which really made me question my whole approach to interview prep lol 

4 minutes ago, 01848p said:

Thanks! That's generally how I expected it to go, but I had an conversation last week where the POI seemed really unimpressed that I hadn't read a certain paper/was unfamiliar with a certain theory, which really made me question my whole approach to interview prep lol 

It's definitely good to some of their most recent work and their selected publications. It's almost impossible for you to have read all of their work. Maybe if you're unfamiliar with a concept or a paper ask them to explain it to you and reply, "Oh yeah, that research reminds me of another paper that I read __________" and explain how your other readings relate back to what they mentioned.

3 minutes ago, canessa said:

It's definitely good to some of their most recent work and their selected publications. It's almost impossible for you to have read all of their work. Maybe if you're unfamiliar with a concept or a paper ask them to explain it to you and reply, "Oh yeah, that research reminds me of another paper that I read __________" and explain how your other readings relate back to what they mentioned.

I'd read his most recent pubs but he referenced a 2012 paper! It was rough. I hadn't realized I needed to go that far back. Thank you for the advice on how to recover from that in the future :)

2 hours ago, Blackwater said:

Thanks for this information! I'm concerned they are inviting so many people for so few spots though. 

That's what my immediate response was when I was told this. It sounds like a very nerve-wracking way to interview and I wonder how they expect the people who attend to react to such numbers.

Happy February Fam! Has anyone been officially wait listed from the University of Minnesota - TC? I have seen people post their acceptances and rejections but my online status has yet to change. Hoping February brings an end to some of the silence we've had. Have a good day everyone!

Anyone who had an interview at Rochester know if they are doing an on campus? I had an in person interview with my POI at SPSP.  Not sure what the next steps are and am kind of floating in the waiting abyss aimlessly. 

3 hours ago, ForeverJung said:

Happy February Fam! Has anyone been officially wait listed from the University of Minnesota - TC? I have seen people post their acceptances and rejections but my online status has yet to change. Hoping February brings an end to some of the silence we've had. Have a good day everyone!

I haven't heard anything from UMN. I saw those acceptances as well. I saw two rejects from today. One was for just Psychology so who knows what department that was. The other was from quantitative. So I'm thinking the social program has not sent out anything but acceptances.

16 hours ago, canessa said:

I've gone to two interview weekends now and here's what my experiences have been:

• You usually stay with a graduate student host, they're a really good source of info and you tend to get really close to them since you spend so much time with them. Have a TON of questions prepared to ask about the program, their experience, things they've heard about faculty members, etc. It's even nice to ask if they have any advice for you!
  • Something to remind yourself: They want you here. Making the interview is a HUGE accomplishment! So be proud of yourself! And as much as they are interviewing you to see if you'd be a good fit for their university, you want to interview them back to see if they are a good fit for you. Do you see yourself working with this advsior and being happy? Do you see yourself getting along with your lab mates and other grad students? Do you see yourself living here for the next 5 or 6 years? These are good questions to ask yourself as you're going through your interview
  • Usually the day (or Day 1) starts off with a breakfast (take breakfast, lunch, dinner and breaks as time to mingle with other applicants. It shows that you're social and also it's pretty fun getting to know other people on your same boat and hang out). Next is a lot of orientation-like things. Going over the program, future course-work, funding, etc. Feel free to take notes in a journal/portfolio and if they don't go over a question that you want to know (like how are travel grants distributed), definitely ask.
  • Some schools may then have a mini tour of campus or a mini tour of lab offices. (If you see rain in the forecast it's smart to bring a jacket and umbrella -- at my first interview we still did the tour in POURING rain, thankfully all of us came prepared!) 
  • Usually for lunch and dinner, graduate students and faculty members join you. Take this time to introduce yourself to the people who you want to work with and even introduce yourself to other faculty and other graduate students that aren't in your full interest. You can get a feel of what the people are like and if you are going to enjoy your time working with them. The department usually discusses as a whole, who would be a good fit for the university so it's good to make yourself known. If there's an opportunity to talk with your POI, definitely do it!
  • The interviews are generally very relaxed. Some professors like to challenge you with hard questions BUT the most will generally ask you about your research interests and it feels like a conversation. When your POI (or any other person) is talking about their own research, listen carefully and try and think of one or two specific questions to ask about what they just explained, it shows that you're interested and listening. Have a little spiel ready to explain your previous research experience and how it got you to what you are interested in now. It's okay to be broad in your interests but it helps a lot if you have a couple of specific research questions that you'd like to research in your future (and think about how you would do it: Experience sampling? Daily diary? Self-report?). 
  • HAVE A TON OF QUESTIONS PREPARED. If there is ever an awkward silence, take this time to ask questions about funding, housing, strengths and weaknesses of the program, etc. This is a good time to find out if this is a good fit for you and a ton of questions shows interest in the program.
  • There will be opportunities to talk to grad students, take this time to ask them if they are happy here and what the mentorship style of the POI is like. They are generally much more honest and want to give you the real scoop. 
  • The days get long and exhausting. Wear comfortable shoes, bring water, eat snacks and lots of free food when offered. Take a breather in the bathroom during breaks. Try your hardest to keep being social and enthusiastic throughout the day (I know it's hard, but it will be worth it!)
  • Finally, after all is said and done, the graduate students might take you and the other prospective students out to a happy hour or party. Have a drink if you so choose, it's fine to drink a little but of course don't get drunk. Socialize and have fun.
  • After interview weekend don't forget to send your POI an email, thanking them for inviting you out and taking the time to talk with you. Express that you're very interested in working with them in the future.
  • Remember: The university wants you here. Take a deep breath. You got this.

It's really helpful for me!! Thank you very much for sharing it!!

For any of us waiting on U of Iowa....I got an email this morning informing me that they have just narrowed down a short list of who to invite for interviews. It sounds like invites should go out soon - within a week perhaps? I was told that I wasn't on that list, though. Not sure how I feel about that. This is the first program that has alluded to my rejection, but I kind of don't care :huh:

27 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

For any of us waiting on U of Iowa....I got an email this morning informing me that they have just narrowed down a short list of who to invite for interviews. It sounds like invites should go out soon - within a week perhaps? I was told that I wasn't on that list, though. Not sure how I feel about that. This is the first program that has alluded to my rejection, but I kind of don't care :huh:

Thanks for the info!

48 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

How did you get the e-mail??? Was it from a POI,or did you contact them? I'm nervous that i'll get a rejection :( 

Also, Im sorry you weren't invited- I really hope that you get good news!! Plus, you could be on the short list for wait list ?

3 minutes ago, marsbars said:

How did you get the e-mail??? Was it from a POI,or did you contact them? I'm nervous that i'll get a rejection :( 

Also, Im sorry you weren't invited- I really hope that you get good news!! Plus, you could be on the short list for wait list ?

I decided on emailing the program coordinator rather my POIs. She never mentioned a wait list but I guess that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Or perhaps they haven't finished up organizing all of the tiers of their applicants?

Hopefully you get good news from them! Like I said, it sounds like it is coming soon. When I emailed the U of North Dakota they said they were finishing their list and then would be emailing within 2 or 3 days. I assume that Iowa will move the process just as quickly. 

2 hours ago, What'sMyName said:

Heh I got a personal email from UC Davis's coordinator basically telling me "just FYI you're not invited to the interview weekend. But...we will be 'making decisions' in the next few weeks regarding acceptances." I thought it was quirky that they didn't just outright say I was waitlisted, like I've heard from some programs.

4 minutes ago, soccerplaya said:

Heh I got a personal email from UC Davis's coordinator basically telling me "just FYI you're not invited to the interview weekend. But...we will be 'making decisions' in the next few weeks regarding acceptances." I thought it was quirky that they didn't just outright say I was waitlisted, like I've heard from some programs.

It is interesting how each program approaches that. I just got my wait list email from KU and the director was very clear about what everything means, spelled it all out, that it is a "wait list" and that I am still in the running and that I should let them know any changes in my interest in their program. But Iowa was just like, "you aren't invited to an interview". Done. Over. I don't know about you, but the overall feeling of uncertainty on their part does nothing whatsoever to relieve my own or give me a better feeling of my standing.

1 hour ago, soccerplaya said:

I got this email too. I took it to mean "your rejection letter is on the way." Have others received outright rejections? Curious what makes you think this is code for waitlist. 

1 hour ago, raisinbrahms said:

I got this email too. I took it to mean "your rejection letter is on the way." Have others received outright rejections? Curious what makes you think this is code for waitlist. 

The results page shows that one person reported getting a rejection, so I assume we're waitlisted.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:43 PM, What'sMyName said:

Update for Rutgers: Just finished a Skype interview with a different possible mentor at Rutgers. It wasn't my original POI but it went well! I was informed that the committee should be meeting soon and it sounded like invites for their weekend will go out by end of next week. Interview weekend will be the 24th. They are admitting approx 4 students, and interviewing probably 20 on-campus. 

Congratulations on the skype interview, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

I saw that a handful of people have received rejections from UMich. Might anyone tell me if these were standard-issue rejections (i.e., mass email from the program director), or if they came from personal correspondence with individual PIs?

I emailed my PI a few days ago with no response-- the silence is maddening! :P

13 minutes ago, PNIplz said:

Anyone hear from Carnegie Mellon? 

My POI said to email someone named Erin and "We are in the midst of the process, however, so I don’t know if she will be able to provide you with much information." I am assuming rejection at this point.