Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

Hello!

Has anyone heard from the Applied Social and Health program from Colorado State? I feel like they sent out notifications in January last year and the only people who have posted are from the I/O program.  

Besides receiving the skype interview invite, has anyone heard back from Portland State? I interviewed but I haven't heard anything since!

1 hour ago, 01848p said:

Is it normal to have 3.5 hours worth of interviews in one day? I just received an itinerary for a visit coming up this weekend, and I'll be meeting with 7 people, for 30 minutes each. My poor introverted self will be ready to enter a deep, week-long slumber by the end of the day ? ?

I just had an interview weekend where I met with 7 faculty and 3 grad students, each for 30 minutes. I thought I was doomed because I get nervous and then forget things lol. (Once I even forgot what my undergrad thesis was about.) However, I learned very quickly they were just chats and had a very casual vibe. Overall, everyone was so friendly, gracious, and excited to meet the prospectives, which naturally felt great. Almost everyone asked about my interests then pitched their research to me in a way that appealed to me/suggested avenues for collaboration. It was very pleasant and I ended up having a great time! I don't think they'd be paying for you to travel to meet them if they weren't serious about you, so take solace in that and remember you're really the one with the power at this point :) 

2 hours ago, 01848p said:

Is it normal to have 3.5 hours worth of interviews in one day? I just received an itinerary for a visit coming up this weekend, and I'll be meeting with 7 people, for 30 minutes each. My poor introverted self will be ready to enter a deep, week-long slumber by the end of the day ? ?

Yeah, it's pretty much the norm I'm afraid. I would tell you to relax but then I'd be a hypocrite haha (I was so tense I could have been made of stone). Still, unless you start swearing or punching people, things generally go fairly well, so I wouldn't worry too much :) Best of luck, my friend!

2 hours ago, Nervously_waiting said:

Besides receiving the skype interview invite, has anyone heard back from Portland State? I interviewed but I haven't heard anything since!

I have ongoing contact with my POI at Portland and I am expecting an email back about the timeline for the department decision on visitor's weekend. I think depending on your POI, they will tell you themselves at some point (one person got an invite at the end of an interview) and the others will wait until the department has had its meeting. Which, as far as I know, hasn't happened. Unless they had it Friday or something. And if it indeed hasn't, I think it will happen this week in order to give ample notice for the weekend at the end of this month. 

Update :Anyone waiting for Ole Miss- they haven't made decisions yet, they will be sending out letters in the next 2 weeks. 

Also, anyone who said that they were rejected from Iowa-- did you get a formal rejection letter/e-mail, or is it an assumed rejection?

On February 4, 2017 at 6:09 PM, dormcat said:

in response to you and @What'sMyName -- I've already heard from my POI with an acceptance, it seemed to me they made decisions in early January. I was invited to the invitation weekend informally then, and received my letter of offer last week.

Okay, thank you for the heads up. And, congrats! Such a great program :) 

14 hours ago, Nervously_waiting said:

Hello!

Has anyone heard from the Applied Social and Health program from Colorado State? I feel like they sent out notifications in January last year and the only people who have posted are from the I/O program.  

I haven't heard anything from Colorado State; I'm hoping they're just behind. I haven't seen anything about the social program on the forums either. Fingers crossed. 

14 minutes ago, selfservingbias said:

I haven't heard anything from Colorado State; I'm hoping they're just behind. I haven't seen anything about the social program on the forums either. Fingers crossed. 

I haven't heard anything from Colorado State either and I am dying! Hoping I'll hear from either Applied Social and Health, Cognitive, and Cognitive Neuroscience soon though. I applied last year and never received an email or letter notifying me of their decision (that I wasn't accepted obviously), and unfortunately, their application system doesn't update with information regarding admissions decisions either. 

4 hours ago, marsbars said:

Also, anyone who said that they were rejected from Iowa-- did you get a formal rejection letter/e-mail, or is it an assumed rejection?

I didn't get anything formal myself, just an email response that said I wasn't invited to interview. I'm not sure what that means department wise...

Just got a physical paper rejection from Wyoming. 

Kind of heartbroken, because I wanted to go out west. 

8 more to go! (P.S., did anyone get an Iowa interview yet?)

2 hours ago, What'sMyName said:

I didn't get anything formal myself, just an email response that said I wasn't invited to interview. I'm not sure what that means department wise...

Gotcha! Thank you for clarifying :)

U of Rochester made admissions decisions this morning. 

Rejected due to funding. At least it wasn't because I am a total failure, which has been confirmed elsewhere. LOL. Sorry--I am having one of the down days in this perpetual cycle of optimism and pessimism! 

1 hour ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Rejected due to funding. At least it wasn't because I am a total failure, which has been confirmed elsewhere. LOL. Sorry--I am having one of the down days in this perpetual cycle of optimism and pessimism! 

You are NOT a total failure! We are all qualified and worthy of graduate degrees; a lot of it just comes down to fit. Hugs!

1 hour ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

You're going to survive this ♡♡♡♡♡  sending positive thoughts!!!???

3 hours ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

We all have those days! So sorry to hear about the rejection, but keep positive about your other prospects!

Well, last night I checked my email and my POI let me know that I'd been recommended for acceptance to the social and personality program at UH Manoa! I wasn't expecting this at all, as I hadn't received any interview invitations to anywhere I had applied. It still hasn't sunk in

10 minutes ago, PsychaLotl said:

Well, last night I checked my email and my POI let me know that I'd been recommended for acceptance to the social and personality program at UH Manoa! I wasn't expecting this at all, as I hadn't received any interview invitations to anywhere I had applied. It still hasn't sunk in

Congratulations on the awesome success!!! And at such a cool location!