Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

3 minutes ago, Freudian Slip said:

Have not heard a word from any of the 12 schools I applied to. 

Should I be panicking??? I can't sleep at night. 

You definitely need to sleep and no you don't need to worry if you havent heard anything. there are a lot of programs that have not said or notified anyone as of yet. Take some benedryl at night or something to help you sleep. melatonin about 1 hour before bed no more than .5 mg. I am not a doctor lol..but sleep is necessary even while waiting for schools to reply. My program has only sent out a few that I am aware of. 

7 hours ago, Phd2b18 said:

Thanks, I didn't apply to that program specifically though. I applied to NYU and there were a couple of submissions saying that they had an automated email saying to check their status on the website, and it gave them the generic "rejected" answer.

whereas mine still says "submitted", and I didn't receive any emails.

I would say you have not been rejected at this time. If it says submitted then at least you know they have it. 

8 minutes ago, Freudian Slip said:

Have not heard a word from any of the 12 schools I applied to. 

Should I be panicking??? I can't sleep at night. 

Breathe- just breathe.

You will be alright! 

And if you need to sleuth- search the "dates/results" board- it can help calm you- you can see if anyone else heard from your school or program this year.

Just breathe- you can do this ! 

On 1/18/2017 at 2:49 PM, Phd2b18 said:

Hey everyone,

I've applied to the following social psychology phd programs with no communication: Columbia, NYU, The Graduate Center (CUNY), Rutgers - New Brunswick.

Has anyone else applied to any of these institutions and if so were you contacted?

Applied to NYU and haven't heard anything from them. Is no news good news? Not sure. I expected to be on visits at this time. 

I was there for visits on 2/2-2/3, so it might be a bad sign (there was talk of people visiting later but that should have been 2/9-2/11).

Although some programs will totally admit you without interviews the general rule of thumb I've been told is that if a program has interviews and you aren't invited it's usually a pretty good heuristic that you won't be admitted there.

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

1 hour ago, Freudian Slip said:

Applied to NYU and haven't heard anything from them. Is no news good news? Not sure. I expected to be on visits at this time. 

What's the status of your application? My application says "under review" when I went to this link: http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/request/smts.html

As as someone stated, interviews already took place. But I also know that others application statuses are showing up as "rejected". So idk if that has any meaning that ours does not yet...

1 hour ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

I was there for visits on 2/2-2/3, so it might be a bad sign (there was talk of people visiting later but that should have been 2/9-2/11).

Although some programs will totally admit you without interviews the general rule of thumb I've been told is that if a program has interviews and you aren't invited it's usually a pretty good heuristic that you won't be admitted there.

I hope you had a good interview(s)

2 hours ago, Phd2b18 said:

What's the status of your application? My application says "under review" when I went to this link: http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/request/smts.html

As as someone stated, interviews already took place. But I also know that others application statuses are showing up as "rejected". So idk if that has any meaning that ours does not yet...

I'm guessing it's like a couple other programs maybe that don't explicitly email people to let them know they're on the waitlist? Some just keep a list of people they don't reject, and if they end up not getting enough acceptances, then someone on the list would get an unexpected acceptance, probably in March or April.

11 hours ago, Phd2b18 said:

They dont always do visits especially for those from out of state. If it doesnt say rejected then you are still likely in the running. I was rejected from UCSD in January due to too many qualified applicants and not enough slots. 

Hi, just joining in on this panic fest.  I applied to 12 schools. I've had semi-correspondences with three:

- I heard from one asking me to resend my transcripts...twice. But that's good? That means they're still looking at me?

- I heard from one trying to schedule a phone interview two days before Christmas (I was busy, said they'd contact me at another time to set up a phone interview...and never did...so I assume that's out).

- I heard from a professor at a different campus who was not in my area of interest. She claimed the professor I want to work with is not taking graduate students, but she is. I declined her, politely. But the professor I want's website still says "I am recruiting graduate students to begin Fall, 2017."

I checked the acceptances board and no one has posted about visits or acceptances yet, but five have posts about phone/skype interviews and two have rejections. 

It's 7am. I didn't sleep because I was suddenly overcome with panic. But I can see I'm not alone. 

9 minutes ago, SocCog said:

Hi, just joining in on this panic fest.  I applied to 12 schools. I've had semi-correspondences with three:

- I heard from one asking me to resend my transcripts...twice. But that's good? That means they're still looking at me?

- I heard from one trying to schedule a phone interview two days before Christmas (I was busy, said they'd contact me at another time to set up a phone interview...and never did...so I assume that's out).

- I heard from a professor at a different campus who was not in my area of interest. She claimed the professor I want to work with is not taking graduate students, but she is. I declined her, politely. But the professor I want's website still says "I am recruiting graduate students to begin Fall, 2017."

I checked the acceptances board and no one has posted about visits or acceptances yet, but five have posts about phone/skype interviews and two have rejections. 

It's 7am. I didn't sleep because I was suddenly overcome with panic. But I can see I'm not alone. 

What is up with Social Psych.....Ugh what is taking so long. there have been like 3 people with responses. mine is "under review". I am glad to not be rejected yet but the wait is killer.

4 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

As far as UCI, has anyone here been admitted to the psychology & social behavior program? I haven't seen anything on the results page. I was waitlisted there and I'm just wondering.

nothing at all................. :// not cool......lol

Hey everyone,

I just heard back from NYU and they rejected me for the PhD program, but want me to enter the Masters Program :/ womp. I already have a masters in Liberal Studies, so this is tempting, but I also dont want to come out of pocket again and accumulate more debt :(.

4 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

As far as UCI, has anyone here been admitted to the psychology & social behavior program? I haven't seen anything on the results page. I was waitlisted there and I'm just wondering.

UCI is the school that kept emailing me about my transcripts. First in December and then 2 weeks ago. I resent them (apparently I had the address wrong). They're still listed as not received, so I have no status update. 

6 minutes ago, Phd2b18 said:

Hey everyone,

I just heard back from NYU and they rejected me for the PhD program, but want me to enter the Masters Program :/ womp. I already have a masters in Liberal Studies, so this is tempting, but I also dont want to come out of pocket again and accumulate more debt :(.

I just got that same email. I didn't read it well and started celebrating (reiterating: have not slept). Then I saw "masters"

Well...it's a start? Except I could never afford it...

Edited by SocCog

3 minutes ago, Phd2b18 said:

Hey everyone,

For myself, at this point, I cannot accept anymore debt. I will definitely not be able to pay back anymore than what I own now. If they offer funding then I would do it but if not I would consider applying next fall. You applied to some tough schools. This is the second go round of applying and I may have a third depending on my acceptance this fall. The nice thing is that applications improve over time as well as experience. I have a plan if I dont get in I will pursue in the meantime. 

"We regret to add that there are no fellowships or scholarships available to you through the Graduate School or your program." 

Yeah. That is not happening. I was already on edge about being accepted to the PhD program and having to take out loans to live in NYC. So I cannot begin to comprehend the debt that the Masters would put me in. 

15 minutes ago, SocCog said:

"We regret to add that there are no fellowships or scholarships available to you through the Graduate School or your program." 

Yeah. That is not happening. I was already on edge about being accepted to the PhD program and having to take out loans to live in NYC. So I cannot begin to comprehend the debt that the Masters would put me in. 

yah especially if you already have a masters..that would be a no for me. 

51 minutes ago, Sneidinger said:

nothing at all................. :// not cool......lol

I'm sorry I know the wait is unbearable. Hopefully, you'll get some good news soon.

49 minutes ago, SocCog said:

UCI is the school that kept emailing me about my transcripts. First in December and then 2 weeks ago. I resent them (apparently I had the address wrong). They're still listed as not received, so I have no status update. 

I'm so sorry, that must be so incredibly frustrating. You can always try emailing the graduate coordinator to make sure they were received. Best of luck to you.