Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

4 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I'm sorry I know the wait is unbearable. Hopefully, you'll get some good news soon.

I'm so sorry, that must be so incredibly frustrating. You can always try emailing the graduate coordinator to make sure they were received. Best of luck to you.

I know all has been received because I did receive the email on December 22nd saying "THANK YOU" and congratulations on your academic achievements etc from graduate dean/provost. they said the department would be reviewing applications over the next weeks. They didnt say how many weeks. lol

14 minutes ago, OptimiscallyAnxious said:

I'm so sorry, that must be so incredibly frustrating. You can always try emailing the graduate coordinator to make sure they were received. Best of luck to you.

Thank you. I emailed the coordinator to follow up. I know that they were shipped on the 7th. 8 days seems a long time to me, but it is a high-volume mail month. Maybe it will arrive today. Or maybe it already arrived and they are slow to update the system. My current fear is that my status will just change from "awaiting documents" to "rejected."

On 2/14/2017 at 8:58 AM, marsbars said:

Anyone hear from Iowa?

Or Nebraska?

We're in the same boat for UNL it seems. My status on the website is still "Reviewing Application", I've been checking everyday to see if the message changes to rejected or waitlisted or whatever. It's kind of frustrating to have nothing but silence when applications were due in December and I have had contact with a program whose deadline wasn't until January. Though I suppose they're having to muddle through a much larger number of applications. 

This whole process is very taxing, but honestly I think coming here and commiserating with all y'all has helped me to feel less alone. So thank you :)

Now Northeastern and Irvine have "committee review" statuses. So that's good.

Of course, NYU still says "under review" too.

I don't know how to decipher all of this. 

I've just stopped reading the status section, it rarely seems to be well-maintained or updated (so far the only reliable information I have received has been emails directly from my POIs or whoever is in charge of contacting prospective students).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

Is anyone aware of any other sites where people post results? I have not had much luck. I looked through reddit for a bit but it seemed more for prospective applicants versus results. 

31 minutes ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

I've just stopped reading the status section, it rarely seems to be well-maintained or updated (so far the only reliable information I have received has been emails directly from my POIs or whoever is in charge of contacting prospective students).

Yes, most programs may only update the status of applications 1 - 2 times per week, so it really just depends on when you're looking.

2 hours ago, Nervously_waiting said:

Hello!

I saw someone posted in the results section for Portland State that they were waitlisted for the Applied Social and Community Psych program. I was wondering if you would telling me who your POI is? Thank you!

That wasn't me, but I can tell you that the department had their meeting on Friday. We talked before didn't we? Don't we have the same POI? I can say that our POI has already figured out a first slot invite, and is trying to get a second slot to invite another student but isn't sure yet if it will come through.

19 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

That wasn't me, but I can tell you that the department had their meeting on Friday. We talked before didn't we? Don't we have the same POI? I can say that our POI has already figured out a first slot invite, and is trying to get a second slot to invite another student but isn't sure yet if it will come through.

Hi!

Yes we have talked. Thanks for the info! I spoke with her last Friday and all she said is that she will let me know when the invite goes out for visitors day. Not feeling too good now since you said she already has a first choice. :/

1 minute ago, Nervously_waiting said:

Hi!

Yes we have talked. Thanks for the info! I spoke with her last Friday and all she said is that she will let me know when the invite goes out for visitors day. Not feeling too good now since you said she already has a first choice. :/

I don't know if she has notified whoever has the first slot, though. She said they are still prepping invites, and I bet they will go out all at once. She will know about the next slot within a week or so she said, and I'm guessing at that point the department will have everything more in order and they can send out invites. Very nerve wracking...

3 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

I don't know if she has notified whoever has the first slot, though. She said they are still prepping invites, and I bet they will go out all at once. She will know about the next slot within a week or so she said, and I'm guessing at that point the department will have everything more in order and they can send out invites. Very nerve wracking...

Ugh! Stress and anticipation is killing me! I am keeping my fingers crossed! Best of luck to you and hopefully we both get fantastic news!

2 minutes ago, Nervously_waiting said:

Ugh! Stress and anticipation is killing me! I am keeping my fingers crossed! Best of luck to you and hopefully we both get fantastic news!

Let me know if you hear anything and I'll do the same! I'm ready to be put out of my misery. I hope the department decides soon...

5 minutes ago, What'sMyName said:

Let me know if you hear anything and I'll do the same! I'm ready to be put out of my misery. I hope the department decides soon...

Yes, I will definitely let you know! I have to keep reminding myself positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

6 hours ago, constantlyfretting said:

We're in the same boat for UNL it seems. My status on the website is still "Reviewing Application", I've been checking everyday to see if the message changes to rejected or waitlisted or whatever. It's kind of frustrating to have nothing but silence when applications were due in December and I have had contact with a program whose deadline wasn't until January. Though I suppose they're having to muddle through a much larger number of applications. 

This whole process is very taxing, but honestly I think coming here and commiserating with all y'all has helped me to feel less alone. So thank you :)

Darn- I would love something positive this week (even a wait list letter)! 
This website is a life saver - and has given a great tool to create a "time line"
Hope that we get good news ! 

3 hours ago, Nervously_waiting said:

Yes, I will definitely let you know! I have to keep reminding myself positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

Just so you guys know, visitors day is going to be on march 2nd and 3rd. What have you been told about "visitors day"? I'm not sure what to expect..

3 hours ago, ArmyPsy said:

Just so you guys know, visitors day is going to be on march 2nd and 3rd. What have you been told about "visitors day"? I'm not sure what to expect..

I haven't heard much other than it sounds informal. Is it two days? It had sounded like just one at one point. I haven't gotten enough definitive info to be able tell. If I do get an invite, I actually won't make it to the actual day/weekend but have talked to my POI about arranging an individual, alternate visiting day instead (if I get an invite, that is). All I know is that they are only inviting as many people as they can accept, and will either subsequently extend offers to those people or to someone who wasn't invited but is on the "short list".

8 hours ago, What'sMyName said:

I haven't heard much other than it sounds informal. Is it two days? It had sounded like just one at one point. I haven't gotten enough definitive info to be able tell. If I do get an invite, I actually won't make it to the actual day/weekend but have talked to my POI about arranging an individual, alternate visiting day instead (if I get an invite, that is). All I know is that they are only inviting as many people as they can accept, and will either subsequently extend offers to those people or to someone who wasn't invited but is on the "short list".

I think there is a meet and great/dinner on Thursday and then Friday is all day.

Hello everyone! This is my first post. I don't see many international applicants writing here (which is annoying!), so thought of sharing my (rejection) status as an International student. I got the 'admissions to MA in General Psychology' mail from NYU today...I am assuming that implies that I was supposed to receive the 'rejection to PhD program' mail on 15th along with others, which I didn't. 

So I guess if any of you haven't received the mail, this could be a reason...if you are unlucky...so, my advice would be to get in touch with the admission's dept.  If you are lucky, it's possible some good news awaits you. They seem to be announcing the results in the Beauty-pageant-order.

7 hours ago, sheRocks24x7 said:

Hello everyone! This is my first post. I don't see many international applicants writing here (which is annoying!), so thought of sharing my (rejection) status as an International student. I got the 'admissions to MA in General Psychology' mail from NYU today...I am assuming that implies that I was supposed to receive the 'rejection to PhD program' mail on 15th along with others, which I didn't. 

So I guess if any of you haven't received the mail, this could be a reason...if you are unlucky...so, my advice would be to get in touch with the admission's dept.  If you are lucky, it's possible some good news awaits you. They seem to be announcing the results in the Beauty-pageant-order.

My NYU rejection was within the MA acceptance email. 

"Your application was reviewed by the doctoral program of your choice. While the department was not able to offer you admission to the Ph.D. program, we very much hope you will accept our offer to join the master's program, an intellectually rigorous program that is one of the most prestigious of its kind."

7 hours ago, SocCog said:

My NYU rejection was within the MA acceptance email. 

"Your application was reviewed by the doctoral program of your choice. While the department was not able to offer you admission to the Ph.D. program, we very much hope you will accept our offer to join the master's program, an intellectually rigorous program that is one of the most prestigious of its kind."

Hi...I know...I hadn't received that mail at all regarding GSAS decision. I directly got the other mail from MA dept welcoming me to the MA program.

However, I received the actual (gift wrapped) rejection mail later (after I had written in this forum).

Has anyone else applied to social psychology dept of USC? I got the interview call in December n had a crappy Skype interview (bad internet connection) but I haven't heard from them at all. Just want closure, man. I haven't seen anyone's USC acceptance msg...so if any of you are out there, please comment!

Hey,

This is my first post here! I am mostly interested in Political Psychology.

I have applied to 10 Universities, but have only heard back from three. Does this sound normal by this point in February? 

Applications and Status:

• NYU (Rejected)
  • Washington University in St. Louis (Rejected)
  • University of Maryland College Park (Interview)
  • Stanford (Waiting)
  • Yale (Waiting)
  • Princeton (Waiting)
  • University of Southern California (Waiting)
  • UC Santa Cruz (Waiting)
  • University of Illinois-Chicago (Waiting) 
  • University of Chicago (Waiting)

2 hours ago, sheRocks24x7 said:

Hi...I know...I hadn't received that mail at all regarding GSAS decision. I directly got the other mail from MA dept welcoming me to the MA program.

However, I received the actual (gift wrapped) rejection mail later (after I had written in this forum).

Has anyone else applied to social psychology dept of USC? I got the interview call in December n had a crappy Skype interview (bad internet connection) but I haven't heard from them at all. Just want closure, man. I haven't seen anyone's USC acceptance msg...so if any of you are out there, please comment!

I applied to the social psychology department at USC, haven't heard anything yet! I can't find anywhere on the application website that displays the status. I am considering emailing them soon.