Social Psychology Fall 2017 Applicants

MyDogHasAPhD

41 minutes ago, Phd2b18 said:

Hey everyone,

I've applied to the following social psychology phd programs with no communication: Columbia, NYU, The Graduate Center (CUNY), Rutgers - New Brunswick.

Has anyone else applied to any of these institutions and if so were you contacted?

Hey! I talked to my POI before Christmas and was invited to interview at NYU.

Edit: Now I feel dumb, didn't recognize your name, so forgot we talked last week. Sorry!

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

1 hour ago, C is for Caps Locks said:

Hey! I talked to my POI before Christmas and was invited to interview at NYU.

Edit: Now I feel dumb, didn't recognize your name, so forgot we talked last week. Sorry!

Hi! Did you apply to PSSI (NYU-Steinhardt)? Would you mind to share who is your POI?

Has anyone heard from CUNY, Wayne State University, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Kansas, and Cornell University? I didn't see much discussion about these programs.

Just wondering, how popular is this forum among grad applicants? Maybe lots of applicants who received interviews and acceptances never post here. 

57 minutes ago, Rainydays said:

Has anyone heard from CUNY, Wayne State University, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Kansas, and Cornell University? I didn't see much discussion about these programs.

Just wondering, how popular is this forum among grad applicants? Maybe lots of applicants who received interviews and acceptances never post here. 

I've applied to Carnegie Mellon, had great pre-app correspondence with my POI but haven't heard much since. No news to share but at least know you're not alone. 

1 hour ago, Rainydays said:

No news from KU yet, heres hoping we get good news ! 

56 minutes ago, MyDogHasAPhD said:

Who is at SPSP?! Heading to the grad social tonight if anyone wants to make real life friends, PM me :)

Luck dog!

I really wanted to go, but I'm already swamped with travel/expenses, so I elected to stay at home. :P :(

(The warm weather of Texas, a chance to meet some awesome peeps, and to seem some great research was super tempting though.)

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

3 hours ago, Rainydays said:

I believe Wayne is finishing up with phone/Skype interviews, interview weekend in mid-February. Hope you hear something soon!

17 hours ago, Rainydays said:

I'm not sure which program you are referencing with CUNY. But I applied to The Graduate Center (CUNY) - Critical Social/Personality Psychology program and I emailed to see the status of my application. I was told that they only invited 10 people for interviews on 2/8 and that I am on a waitlist and will be updated in mid-February (womp :/ ).  Best of luck!

3 hours ago, Phd2b18 said:

I'm not sure which program you are referencing with CUNY. But I applied to The Graduate Center (CUNY) - Critical Social/Personality Psychology program and I emailed to see the status of my application. I was told that they only invited 10 people for interviews on 2/8 and that I am on a waitlist and will be updated in mid-February (womp :/ ).  Best of luck!

If the OP was talking about the Basic and Applied social program at CUNY GC, I have not heard anything either. I interviewed there a few years ago, and they had a pretty large crowd of interviewees-- so if the program has already sent out invites, it seems unlikely that nobody has indicated anything here (or perhaps that's just wishful thinking ;)). Maybe some programs are holding out until SPSP ends?

21 minutes ago, thirdfromthesun said:

If the OP was talking about the Basic and Applied social program at CUNY GC, I have not heard anything either. I interviewed there a few years ago, and they had a pretty large crowd of interviewees-- so if the program has already sent out invites, it seems unlikely that nobody has indicated anything here (or perhaps that's just wishful thinking ;)). Maybe some programs are holding out until SPSP ends?

Thank you!! Best luck for me.... By the way, does a large crowd of interviewees mean they will decline lots of them after the interview? Do you know how many interviewees and acceptances they usually have?

5 hours ago, Rainydays said:

Thank you!! Best luck for me.... By the way, does a large crowd of interviewees mean they will decline lots of them after the interview? Do you know how many interviewees and acceptances they usually have?

Hi! If memory serves, there were maybe 10-12 other potential applicants back when I interviewed. I believe that all interviewees, if not accepted into the program, were entered into a waitlist. BASP is huge (~20 faculty members), so they probably took at least 4 or 5 people (although I'm not exactly sure of that number). As a general note, the interview experience there was lovely... to this day, I still keep in contact with one of the other students I met at the interview!

Feel free to PM if you have other questions-- but just to qualify my post, things may have changed in the past few years. Best wishes to all who applied... I hope we all hear back soon!

10 hours ago, marsbars said:

Anyone else apply to Kentucky? 
I realize that in the past that they had interviews at the end of January... I'm getting nervous. 

I did, with great pre-application contact with two POIs. Haven't heard anything. 

On 1/16/2017 at 1:41 PM, Emotix said:

Has anyone heard from Penn State, Boston College, or UMass Amherst for social psych? I know Penn State did some phone screens, but anything about interview weekend? 

I don't know who your POI is @ Boston College, but I talked to James Russell at SPSP yesterday. He said he won't take any students this year, and all the applicant profiles have been sent to Liane Young. They received around 150+ applications, and Young is reviewing them right now.

Edited by milkymamahdf

5 hours ago, milkymamahdf said:

I don't know who your POI is @ Boston College, but I talked to James Russell at SPSP yesterday. He said he won't take any students this year, and all the applicant profiles have been sent to Liane Young. They received around 150+ applications, and Young is reviewing them right now.

Thank you for the info! 

Congrats!!!! That is a very impressive list. 

Out of curiosity, why did you turn down the interview at Rutgers?

46 minutes ago, momoeatspie said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to grad cafe and actually just recently heard about it. I've heard back from a few programs. Here are the updates:

I've been accepted to Waterloo and Ohio State (cried lots of tears at this news).

Have interviews at: UC Irvine, Miami University, NYU, British Columbia, Indiana University, UC Santa Barbara, and Carnegie Mellon. And then I turned down University of Rochester and Rutgers for interviews. 

19 hours ago, Blackwater said:

When going to an interview weekend and you are meeting with profs that are not your POI what questions do you have prepared to ask them?

Do you have questions for your POI that aren't necessarily about them? Like how supportive the department is of student work, funding opportunities, how collaborative and supportive the environment is, what direction the program is going and how you play a role in that, what they wish they knew going into grad school, etc.? You can ask grad students these things too, and compare answers between students and faculty.