Request for Profile Evaluation: Canadian Political Science MA Programs

Hi everyone,

I'm a domestic student aiming to apply for Political Science MA programs in Canada this cycle. I was initially planning to apply directly into PhD programs, but circumstances have dictated that I take the MA route first (this is probably for the best). For what it's worth, I am currently finishing my application for the CGS-M.

Any and all feedback/advice is very much appreciated!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad Institution: Top 3 Canadian University

Major(s)/Minor(s): Political Science (Major)/English (Major)

Undergrad GPA: CGPA: 3.95/ final two years: 4.0

GRE: N/A. Will be taking shortly.

Any Special Courses: Several graduate-level seminars (democratic theory, IR, critical theory), two Honours theses 

Letters of Recommendation:

All extremely enthusiastic about writing for me and all advocates of my pursuing a PhD.

1) Well known and well-respected senior professor with whom I am currently RAing. Co-supervised my Honours thesis.

2) Established IR scholar and full professor. I have taken two courses with them, including one graduate seminar.

3) AP who taught another graduate seminar I took. Currently Graduate Chair at one of the schools I am applying to.

Research Experience: ~1 year of RAing, two Honours theses (I was the top student in my Political Science Honours thesis seminar)

Teaching Experience: None

Subfield/Research Interests: Political behaviour/psychology (comparative focus), political communication, democratic theory, experimental political science

Other stuff: Was the Editor-in-Chief of the IR undergraduate student journal, received a major department scholarship, Dean's List for three years, miscellaneous student/community leadership work that probably doesn't factor in.

Applying to: UofT, UBC, McGill, Queen's

Thank you!

On November 28, 2016 at 4:52 AM, Dwar, Dog Lord of Waw said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a domestic student aiming to apply for Political Science MA programs in Canada this cycle. I was initially planning to apply directly into PhD programs, but circumstances have dictated that I take the MA route first (this is probably for the best). For what it's worth, I am currently finishing my application for the CGS-M.

Any and all feedback/advice is very much appreciated!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad Institution: Top 3 Canadian University

Major(s)/Minor(s): Political Science (Major)/English (Major)

Undergrad GPA: CGPA: 3.95/ final two years: 4.0

GRE: N/A. Will be taking shortly.

Any Special Courses: Several graduate-level seminars (democratic theory, IR, critical theory), two Honours theses 

Letters of Recommendation:

All extremely enthusiastic about writing for me and all advocates of my pursuing a PhD.

1) Well known and well-respected senior professor with whom I am currently RAing. Co-supervised my Honours thesis.

2) Established IR scholar and full professor. I have taken two courses with them, including one graduate seminar.

3) AP who taught another graduate seminar I took. Currently Graduate Chair at one of the schools I am applying to.

Research Experience: ~1 year of RAing, two Honours theses (I was the top student in my Political Science Honours thesis seminar)

Teaching Experience: None

Subfield/Research Interests: Political behaviour/psychology (comparative focus), political communication, democratic theory, experimental political science

Other stuff: Was the Editor-in-Chief of the IR undergraduate student journal, received a major department scholarship, Dean's List for three years, miscellaneous student/community leadership work that probably doesn't factor in.

Applying to: UofT, UBC, McGill, Queen's

Thank you!

This all sounds great, and you're clearly qualified, but your research proposal will be the predominant thing that they look at. So I would make sure that you have a very well thought out research proposal.

Best of luck.

Agreed with the first set of comments. Your research statement should provide a clear agenda of what you intend to do, and why a particular program offers you the best fit (i.e. specify people you intend to work with). I would also add that it's worth highlighting how particular programs are the best fit for you. By this I mean actively refer to a program's structure and how it benefits your long term goals. E.g. UofT: your MA will there would be a research intensive year, focusing on the academic side since there are no TAships available to MA students. McGill's MA program amounts to the first 2 years of a PhD as your coursework is integrated with their PhD program, preparing you for the academic rigors, while also giving you the opportunity to have a lot of teaching experience (they primarily fund students through TAships), and RA opportunities abound. Best of luck!