2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

I think a neuroscience specific topic should be created for our own health/wellbeing. It is initially anxiety-provoking to see someone post about an interview from the school you've been waiting on to later realize the interview is for a different program!

If you would like to save yourself from fear-induced heart attacks that will kill you before your interviews, please join me in neuro discussion :) 

@neurophysicist13Is UPenn BGS-Neuro the same as UPenn NGG(neuroscience graduate group)? I just looked it up because I did see on the results section to this website that someone got an interview from UPenn NGG on the 10th. If it is true, I doubt they are done sending out interviews, its only the 15th!

@neurophysicist13 As much as I say I'm nervous, I think it's kind of fun/consoling to see that I am not alone in worrying about getting an interview. I think that's why this site is up and running honestly- we are a little community of supportive worriers, its great lol.

Have you checked out Columbia's current list of students? They like Princeton kids so you're in luck: http://www.neurosciencephd.columbia.edu/current-students

I was going to apply there because I noticed they like University of Pittsburgh kids (not as much as Princeton of course) but their online application crashed for like two days just before Dec 1st so I took it as a sign to save some money and apply elsewhere hahah

Edited by pitt_neuroundergrad

Had a little trouble finding this topic as it was in the social sciences section, but anyway, here is the list of schools I've applied to (all neuroscience programs):

Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, Columbia, University of Washington, MIT, Northwestern, Rochester, Wisconsin-Madison, Oregon Health & Science, Boston University, Tufts, and University of Virginia

I've gotten interview invites from Oregon and Virginia. I know Washington already started sending out invites, but haven't received anything from them. And Harvard, I believe, just had their committee meeting yesterday, so they might be sending out invites at the end of this week or early next week.

Best of luck to all of you!

I have applied to: 

UC Berkeley

UC San Diego

UCLA

Brandeis University

USC

U of Chicago

Northwestern

Rochester (Brain and Cognitive Sciences)

NYU (Neural Science)

UT Austin (invited to on campus interview on 12/14)

U of Arizona (I screwed up the Skype interview because of my broken English)

I have studied at the University of Minnesota for two years, but I still have difficulty speaking English fluently. Though the poor English speaking skill did not prevent me from getting a 3.83 GPA and a good GRE score, I really need to improve my English speaking skill to pass the interviews:unsure:

I applied to:

• Mount Sinai (Interview invite 12/14)
  • Weill Cornell
  • NYU
  • Columbia
  • Harvard
  • Rockefeller
  • Boston U
  • MIT
  • JHU
  • Yale
  • Vanderbilt
  • Upenn

Hoping to hear back from more schools soon

Edited by godspeed

Thanks for creating this thread!

@lucky_panda any reason you didn't apply to U of Minnesota's neuro program?  

To those curious about Northwestern, admissions had a 4 hour meeting yesterday.  I assume interview invites will be sent out by Friday.

Edited by seven27
typo

Hi, another neuro applicant here. Also had a hard time finding this thread because of its location. Thank you for creating it, but is there any chance we can move it to biology in the Life Sciences section, where it's appeared in past years? I think that will be helpful for people just joining, like me, and for future applicants who look for info from the prior cycle.

I'm applying to Mt. Sinai (received interview invite yesterday), NYU, Columbia, Harvard, UCSF, Yale, MIT, Emory, & JHU. 

Edited by Cervello

12 minutes ago, Cervello said:

Hi, another neuro applicant here. Also had a hard time finding this thread because of its location. Thank you for creating it, but is there any chance we can move it to biology in the Life Sciences section, where it's appeared in past years? I think that will be helpful for people just joining, like me, and for future applicants who look for info from the prior cycle.

I'm applying to Mt. Sinai (received interview invite yesterday), NYU, Columbia, Harvard, UCSF, Yale, MIT and JHU. 

Agreed. Thanks for taking the initiative, OP, but I think this would serve much better in the Biology section where the other app thread is. If you PM a Mod they might be able to help with that.

@seven27 Is that U of Oregon or OHSU, btw? Regardless congrats!

Edited by Neuro15

7 minutes ago, seven27 said:

+1 to moving this thread to the Biology forum, if possible.

@Neuro15 U of Oregon as in the one in Eugene.  They do a neuro program through their Biology department.

Gotcha, congrats!

Good morning everyone,

My stats are in my post history.

I applied to:

UCSD (Neurograd)

UCSD (Psych - for cross-listed faculty)

UCLA (Neuro)

UChicago (Neurobiology)

UChicago (Integrative Neuroscience - for cross-listed faculty)

U Michigan (Neuroscience, direct)

Harvard (PIN)

Cornell (Neurobiology)

NYU (Neural Science)

Mount Sinai (Neuroscience) - Interview offer 12/14/16

Emory (Neuroscience)

Hope we all hear from more schools soon!  It's nice to know that most of my programs haven't sent anything back yet.

4 hours ago, FlipWizard said:

Had a little trouble finding this topic as it was in the social sciences section, but anyway, here is the list of schools I've applied to (all neuroscience programs):

Harvard, UCSF, Stanford, Columbia, University of Washington, MIT, Northwestern, Rochester, Wisconsin-Madison, Oregon Health & Science, Boston University, Tufts, and University of Virginia

I've gotten interview invites from Oregon and Virginia. I know Washington already started sending out invites, but haven't received anything from them. And Harvard, I believe, just had their committee meeting yesterday, so they might be sending out invites at the end of this week or early next week.

Best of luck to all of you!

I just PMed two moderators. Hopefully they can help me move this post to the Biology section. Sorry for the rookie mistake everyone.

Best of luck!

I was personally fine with us being listed under Psych, but that's probably because my current (undergrad) school puts us under Psych as well.

May as well throw my info up there too. I applied to:

UVM (NGP)

Cornell (Psych B+EN, for one particular faculty member)

UConn (Psych BNS - my current institution) HEADS UP: If anyone applied to UConn Psych BNS, don't get your hopes up, most of the professors aren't taking anyone this year...

Dartmouth (PBS)

Brown (NGP)

UMN (GPN)

BU (GPN)

No responses from anyone yet...

4 minutes ago, pitt_neuroundergrad said:

I just PMed two moderators. Hopefully they can help me move this post to the Biology section. Sorry for the rookie mistake everyone.

Best of luck!

I can totally see why you put in Psychology, though. Just wasn't my first thought to look in Social Sciences. Hopefully they'll move it for us and we can get more exposure.

I see you're applying to UChicago. I went there for undergrad and their Neuro faculty are wonderful. I didn't apply for grad school because they tend not to take their own, but it definitely would have been high up on my list otherwise!

22 minutes ago, FlipWizard said:

I didn't apply for grad school because they tend not to take their own, but it definitely would have been high up on my list otherwise!

Is that common among universities?  I thought it would be the opposite! :unsure:

12 minutes ago, FlipWizard said:

I can totally see why you put in Psychology, though. Just wasn't my first thought to look in Social Sciences. Hopefully they'll move it for us and we can get more exposure.

I see you're applying to UChicago. I went there for undergrad and their Neuro faculty are wonderful. I didn't apply for grad school because they tend not to take their own, but it definitely would have been high up on my list otherwise!

Yeah, neuroscience is a conglomerate of a lot of things so it was hard to decide (not knowing where it has been previous years) where to put this topic- if you're into neurophysiology, this thread could be in the physics section! lots of options but I do agree that the Biology section would get this thread the most exposure. I think I am a humanities person even though I applied for cellular and systems neuro programs and have had a really Biology and Chemistry heavy undergrad curriculum. It would be cool to be a mini Ramachandran running around with Q-tip and creativity to better understand a deficit's pathology. lol

I would love to get an interview from UChicago! They have a ton of faculty I am interested in working with, their program looked solid, and Chicago is just so damn beautiful. They are my top choice!

21 minutes ago, seven27 said:

Is that common among universities?  I thought it would be the opposite! :unsure:

I think it's fairly common. It might depend on the program but the thinking is that you'll already have taken a lot of the grad level courses in your topic as an undergraduate, and probably have worked with a handful of the faculty there too. They want you to spread your wings and be exposed to more viewpoints and environments. Physics at UChicago, for example, is basically a hard no for their undergrads, based on what my friend told me at the time he was applying to places.