2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

Hey everyone -- long time lurker, first time poster. Wishing everyone good luck and calm nerves as we navigate this process!

Two questions: first, how common is it to be notified of an interview via a phone call? I'm living outside the US temporarily and the phone number I put on my applications is disconnected. 

Second, I was offered an interview by OHSU's Behavioral Neuroscience program. Anybody have any experience with OHSU or insight that they can share? The research lines up with my interests but I'm curious about the culture there among faculty and students.

Thanks for your help.

12 minutes ago, ChipsAndGuac said:

Hey everyone -- long time lurker, first time poster. Wishing everyone good luck and calm nerves as we navigate this process!

Two questions: first, how common is it to be notified of an interview via a phone call? I'm living outside the US temporarily and the phone number I put on my applications is disconnected. 

Second, I was offered an interview by OHSU's Behavioral Neuroscience program. Anybody have any experience with OHSU or insight that they can share? The research lines up with my interests but I'm curious about the culture there among faculty and students.

Thanks for your help.

Hey, firstly welcome and congratulations! I can't speak to the culture, but I have just a quick question. Is the bahavioral neuro program separate from the "regular" neuroscience program that goes through the Vollum Institute?

12 minutes ago, Neuro15 said:

Hey, firstly welcome and congratulations! I can't speak to the culture, but I have just a quick question. Is the bahavioral neuro program separate from the "regular" neuroscience program that goes through the Vollum Institute?

Thanks! Yes, the behavioral neuroscience program is distinct from the neuroscience program. On this FAQ page they briefly explain the differences. 

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/departments/basic-science-departments/behn/program/faq.cfm

2 minutes ago, ChipsAndGuac said:

Thanks! Yes, the behavioral neuroscience program is distinct from the neuroscience program. On this FAQ page they briefly explain the differences. 

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/departments/basic-science-departments/behn/program/faq.cfm

When is the interview for the behavioral program? I got an invite for the neuroscience program (February 26-28) and I'm wondering if they group them together.

I applied to (I only heard back from UC Davis so far)

UC Davis (interview offered on 12/16/16)

Yale

Weill Cornell

University of Southern California

Boston University

Rockefeller University (interview offers will be release the week of January 9th)

University of Maryland Baltimore

UIUC

Good luck to all of you!!

Portland is a great town. Amazing bookstore, decent coffee, lots of microbreweries. Good hiking not far from town. Easy to get to Seattle and nat'l parks. Notwithstanding the recent unusual snow storm, fairly temperate weather. I vacationed there mainly to hike and drove up to Seattle through the national parks. Loved it.

26 minutes ago, Drifloon said:

Does anyone know whether MIT BCS is finished sending out interview invites? They announced that we'd start hearing back in January, but the results page says otherwise. :|

Definitely would also love to know! 

I only see one MIT post on the results page. Am I missing some others, or did you see the one as well?

I just checked out last year's interview dates on the results page and people got invites on Dec 15, 21, 27, 30 and on jan 11. Some were done through emails, others by phone. Seems like we've got time before assuming we're passed over.

28 minutes ago, Cervello said:

I only see one MIT post on the results page. Am I missing some others, or did you see the one as well?

I just checked out last year's interview dates on the results page and people got invites on Dec 15, 21, 27, 30 and on jan 11. Some were done through emails, others by phone. Seems like we've got time before assuming we're passed over.

I only saw the one, but folks earlier in the thread mentioned receiving invites for "pre-interview interviews." I have no idea whether every official interview invitee gets one of those.

1 hour ago, Cervello said:

Has anyone heard from Yale, UCSF, Columbia, JHU or NYU?

Yale INP committee doesn't meet until january third! (emailed in panic about a belated letter of rec so they let me know)

Edited by purkinjay

What's up guys?

Any news on the following? These are the schools I applied to:

UVM

Dartmouth

Brown

Cornell (not Weill) - Interview, via email 12/16

BU

UConn

UMN

As always, best of luck to everyone!

1 minute ago, dbBDK said:

What's up guys?

Any news on the following? These are the schools I applied to:

UVM

Dartmouth

Brown

Cornell (not Weill) - Interview, via email 12/16

BU

UConn

UMN

As always, best of luck to everyone!

I just just just heard from Brown!

3 minutes ago, purkinjay said:

I just just just heard from Brown!

Awesome! Not expecting much from them (last minute decision to apply and didn't get in touch with a POI), but it's good to know. Congrats!

1 minute ago, nescacphd said:

Also heard from Brown this morning. Does an invite to the NGP mean you won't be invited to interview for the NIH-GPP as well? 

not sure, I last minute decided not to apply to NIH-GPP but I think it might be two separate invites to watch out for based on the two separate interview dates?

1 minute ago, dbBDK said:

Awesome! Not expecting much from them (last minute decision to apply and didn't get in touch with a POI), but it's good to know. Congrats!

Thank you!!! I didn't reach out to anyone either so you never know! Sorry for the multiple posts in a row..