2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

13 hours ago, Cervello said:

It's at top of my list, too. Actually, so is Columbia.

I don't think MIT has finished sending out applications yet. I worked in BCS for a summer and emailed my PI last week, from what she knows they're sending invites until January like usual. But she isn't as involved with admissions this year, so take that with a grain of salt...

Edited by neuroslice

43 minutes ago, neuroslice said:

I don't think MIT has finished sending out applications yet. I worked in BCS for a summer and emailed my PI last week, from what she knows they're sending invites until January like usual. But she isn't as involved with admissions this year, so take that with a grain of salt...

That makes me feel better, even with the salt. Thanks!

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:22 PM, britt2017 said:

Question- did your app portal say all of your documents were received, or did it just say "under review"? mine says under review, but i'm convinced that CWRU is missing one of my transcripts and cannot for the life of me get a hold of someone in admissions (I've tried several times over the past few weeks, not too recently because of break though)

They actually contacted me a day after I submitted my app saying that one of my references didn't send a reference, basically telling me that my app wasn't truly completed and they gave me the opportunity to fix it. It was actually their mistake but I think they might be nice enough to let you know if all your documents weren't sent in- this says incomplete because I didn't send my official transcript but I uploaded all my unofficial ones? But I don't think they needed official idk whats going on with that

case.PNG

Edited by pitt_neuroundergrad

Hello all!

I thought reading about others experiences in the process would dampen my anxiety a little - boy was I wrong!

Here is my list:

MUSC (interview 19-21 January)

UVM (skype interview 24 January)

Brown

BU GPN

Tufts Sackler

I saw earlier that people had heard from Brown, does anyone know if that was their only wave of interview emails (for both the regualr and NIH collaboration)? Also, has anyone heard from Tufts or BU GPN?

Also, feel free to PM me! I'm a relatively new lurker on the site and would love to chat!

Congratulations to all those who have gotten interviews, and best of luck to everyone through the rest of this process :)

18 hours ago, pitt_neuroundergrad said:

They actually contacted me a day after I submitted my app saying that one of my references didn't send a reference, basically telling me that my app wasn't truly completed and they gave me the opportunity to fix it. It was actually their mistake but I think they might be nice enough to let you know if all your documents weren't sent in- this says incomplete because I didn't send my official transcript but I uploaded all my unofficial ones? But I don't think they needed official idk whats going on with that

case.PNG

thank you!! that's what mine looks like too.

UCSD Neuro sent me a rejection letter yesterday (Dec 27).

I also just received an interview to Weill Cornell Neuroscience. The dates are 2/8-2/10, which overlap with my UC Davis interview, so I'm trying to reschedule them.

Has anyone else in this thread applied to Stanford Neuro? Also, has anyone heard back? I know they don't usually send out invites until the 2nd week of Jan but UCSD and UCSF both sent out invites hella early this year so I'm wondering if Stanford did too.

1 hour ago, nihchick2017 said:

Has anyone else in this thread applied to Stanford Neuro? Also, has anyone heard back? I know they don't usually send out invites until the 2nd week of Jan but UCSD and UCSF both sent out invites hella early this year so I'm wondering if Stanford did too.

Yes, and I haven't heard anything yet. No one on the results search appears to have either.

On the flip side, Wisconsin sent out their interview invites over a week later than usual; I guess they just like to keep us on our toes.

11 hours ago, lswat33 said:

Hello all!

I thought reading about others experiences in the process would dampen my anxiety a little - boy was I wrong!

Here is my list:

MUSC (interview 19-21 January)

UVM (skype interview 24 January)

Brown

BU GPN

Tufts Sackler

I saw earlier that people had heard from Brown, does anyone know if that was their only wave of interview emails (for both the regualr and NIH collaboration)? Also, has anyone heard from Tufts or BU GPN?

Also, feel free to PM me! I'm a relatively new lurker on the site and would love to chat!

Congratulations to all those who have gotten interviews, and best of luck to everyone through the rest of this process :)

I heard from Tufts Sackler Neuro on the Monday before Christmas. I reached out to BU GPN and they said they won't be meeting/reviewing applications until January :)

17 hours ago, neuro449 said:

UCSD Neuro sent me a rejection letter yesterday (Dec 27).

I also just received an interview to Weill Cornell Neuroscience. The dates are 2/8-2/10, which overlap with my UC Davis interview, so I'm trying to reschedule them.

When you do the response card, you can select no for February and it will ask you if you can come for the January session (apparently they have two sessions). I had to reschedule because I also have an interview from UC Davis. Congrats!

On 12/26/2016 at 7:24 PM, Janiejoneswoah said:

I'm slightly confused by MIT as well -- the initial email said that interviews wouldn't be announced until January! Hopefully there are more still to come, MIT was very high (if not top) of my list.

Same here. If anyone has received an invite to MIT, could you please fill us in on the interview date(s)?

9 hours ago, lildoc said:

When you do the response card, you can select no for February and it will ask you if you can come for the January session (apparently they have two sessions). I had to reschedule because I also have an interview from UC Davis. Congrats!

Haha yeah, I realized that as I was filling out the response card. Thanks, and maybe I'll see you at the interview events :)
Just so everyone knows: Weill Cornell Graduate School's dates are February 8-10 and January 18-20!

15 hours ago, Professor Proton said:

Same here. If anyone has received an invite to MIT, could you please fill us in on the interview date(s)?

MIT interview dates are March 9-11!

Hey everyone!

UCSD grad (Cog Sci Neuro), feeling the burn like everyone else. Got a phone call interview invitation from MIT BCS back on 12/9, which felt like a great sign. Then nothing for a while, followed by a rejection from UCSD on 12/27.

my list:

- Stanford Neurosciences

- UCSF Neurograd

- UCSF Tetrad

- Berkeley Helen Wills

- UCLA NSIDP

- UCSD Neurosciences (rejected 12/27)

- MIT BCS (invited 12/9 via phone call)

- NYU Neural Science

- Columbia Neurobiology and Behavior

- U Washington Neurosciences

It seems like Stanford hasn't done anything yet, but UCLA, UCSF, and UCSD are mostly sent? What about Berkeley? Columbia? UW? NYU? Those seem to mostly be professors making individual calls at this point - is that right?

Finally, do we know anything about # of invitations vs. # of admission offers for MIT BCS in previous years?

Best of luck to each of you. I hope you are having better luck with managing your stress than I am!

cheers. 

3 minutes ago, levelground said:

Hey everyone!

UCSD grad (Cog Sci Neuro), feeling the burn like everyone else. Got a phone call interview invitation from MIT BCS back on 12/9, which felt like a great sign. Then nothing for a while, followed by a rejection from UCSD on 12/27.

my list:

- Stanford Neurosciences

- UCSF Neurograd

- UCSF Tetrad

- Berkeley Helen Wills

- UCLA NSIDP

- UCSD Neurosciences (rejected 12/27)

- MIT BCS (invited 12/9 via phone call)

- NYU Neural Science

- Columbia Neurobiology and Behavior

- U Washington Neurosciences

It seems like Stanford hasn't done anything yet, but UCLA, UCSF, and UCSD are mostly sent? What about Berkeley? Columbia? UW? NYU? Those seem to mostly be professors making individual calls at this point - is that right?

Finally, do we know anything about # of invitations vs. # of admission offers for MIT BCS in previous years?

Best of luck to each of you. I hope you are having better luck with managing your stress than I am!

cheers. 

I think Berkeley, UW and NYU have sent out all invites. Columbia is still sending out invites. 

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!! Hope everyone has a wonderful year ahead!!!

I applied to 

-Harvard

-MIT

-Tufts

-BU GPN

-Mt Sinai 

-NYU

-Columbia

And haven't heard from any of them yet. Am I doomed? Or is it still early in the game?

Also how are people dealing with the stress?

Sending love,

Prakruti

22 minutes ago, PrakrutiNanda said:

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!! Hope everyone has a wonderful year ahead!!!

I applied to 

-Harvard

-MIT

-Tufts

-BU GPN

-Mt Sinai 

-NYU

-Columbia

And haven't heard from any of them yet. Am I doomed? Or is it still early in the game?

Also how are people dealing with the stress?

Sending love,

Prakruti

in the same boat of no interviews. I know harvard and mount sinai are done sending interviews. I am still keeping my hopes up.

happy new year!

Harvard typically only send out interviews in one day, which they already have plus they only have one interview weekends(1/19-1/22). someone on this forum called sinai and confirmed that mt sinai is not sending out any more interviews.