2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

39 minutes ago, neuro449 said:

For those still waiting on UCLA, I have emailed the coordinator, and they have not sent out all the interview invitations. There is still hope!

I'm going to go against better judgement and allow myself to believe UCSF may also have additional invitations to send.

I also just got an invite from Yale and I am very excited (!!!) but also really not sure what to do because their interview dates conflict precisely with UPenn. Is anyone else experiencing this problem/have an suggestions? I was not able to get into the January session for Penn. 

Edit: I'm really sorry to whine about this, I just have no clue what to do :/

Edited by purkinjay

2 hours ago, purkinjay said:

I also just got an invite from Yale and I am very excited (!!!) but also really not sure what to do because their interview dates conflict precisely with UPenn. Is anyone else experiencing this problem/have an suggestions? I was not able to get into the January session for Penn. 

Edit: I'm really sorry to whine about this, I just have no clue what to do :/

I'm in a somewhat similar position. I have an interview scheduled for the day right before another and I don't think I can get from one to the other without missing events. It would be great if someone had advice.

2 hours ago, neuroslice said:

I'm in a somewhat similar position. I have an interview scheduled for the day right before another and I don't think I can get from one to the other without missing events. It would be great if someone had advice.

Not sure about your schools specifically, but when I was planning to do the back to back interview thing, I was told that the events at night on the second day were not required (hanging out with the grad students and some faculty, etc.). I was going to fly overnight from the west coast (10:30ish PM) and arrive on the east coast around 10:30 the next morning. Of the interviews I have scheduled, most don't begin the first day until the afternoon, so if that's the case for yours then the primary issue would be where you're flying to and from, and if you can get a flight that will get you where you need to be in time. You may not have to miss any required events, but if the social events at night are really important to you or if the second interview starts earlier in the day, then it's going to be harder. I hope this helps! Good luck!

5 hours ago, purkinjay said:

You could call whoever contacted you from Yale. Let them know that you already have an interview scheduled, but that you would still really like to interview. Hopefully they can work something out with you! Good luck!

17 minutes ago, yaybrains said:

You could call whoever contacted you from Yale. Let them know that you already have an interview scheduled, but that you would still really like to interview. Hopefully they can work something out with you! Good luck!

I will give it a shot, thank you! 

15 hours ago, Nomad1111 said:

MIT BCS interview by phone this morning!

Congrats! I was thinking they were done. You've given me some hope that I might yet hear from them. So far, I've gotten 6/9 interviews, but MIT is my top choice. 

I noticed that you've applied to both neuro and bioscience programs, like harvard's BBS. In retrospect, I wish I done the same since some of the labs at Harvard that I wanted are neuro labs but also available to BBS applicants. Given that this was such a competitive year for PiN, applying to BBS was probably a good way of getting a foot in the door even if it means not being a member of PiN.

3 hours ago, pipette_fever said:

Anybody know if Columbia neurobio & behavior is still sending out interview invites?

3 hours ago, cmykrgb said:

also wish to know about columbia, and does anyone know about USC NGP?

Hey y'all. Just called Columbia and was told that all of interviews were sent out :/ Oh well! At least we all know now. 

17 minutes ago, pemmymiranda said:

But.....good news from talking to MIT. They are still sending out invites for BCS till the end of next week :D 

Here's hoping we're all lucky enough to hear from them!

Hi all.

International lurker here.

I haven't heard a thing yet, and I am a bit surprised. Got good credentials and pretty good GRE scores.

Applied for NYU, Cornell, Columbia and JHU.

Has any internationals heard anything yet? I keep telling myself that internationals will be invited later cause they will not participate in the official interviews on campus, but on skype instead. Can someone please confirm this and calm my nerves?

Thanks. Congrats to all of you with interviews!

7 hours ago, Cervello said:

Congrats! I was thinking they were done. You've given me some hope that I might yet hear from them. So far, I've gotten 6/9 interviews, but MIT is my top choice. 

I noticed that you've applied to both neuro and bioscience programs, like harvard's BBS. In retrospect, I wish I done the same since some of the labs at Harvard that I wanted are neuro labs but also available to BBS applicants. Given that this was such a competitive year for PiN, applying to BBS was probably a good way of getting a foot in the door even if it means not being a member of PiN.

Keep the hope! I had given up, so it came as a major surprise :) They called me, so it would make sense that it takes time to work through all of the applicants that they're inviting.

At the beginning of the cycle, I was going to apply to PiN, but I'm an international applicant and my understanding from previous applicants was that PiN takes fewer internationals than BBS. BBS has sooo many labs under their umbrella, including many neuro labs that I was keen on, so I knew I'd be a a happy BBS student!

6 hours ago, DrMeow said:

Hi all.

International lurker here.

I haven't heard a thing yet, and I am a bit surprised. Got good credentials and pretty good GRE scores.

Applied for NYU, Cornell, Columbia and JHU.

Has any internationals heard anything yet? I keep telling myself that internationals will be invited later cause they will not participate in the official interviews on campus, but on skype instead. Can someone please confirm this and calm my nerves?

Thanks. Congrats to all of you with interviews!

I'm an international, but I'm currently in the US doing research so my case might be different than yours. It might be that domestic/locally-residing applicants are contacted at a different time since, as you said, the interviewing process is different :) 

Edited by Nomad1111

This is kind of a dumb question, but are any of you planning to take your laptop with you on interview trips? Not to actually have on you at the interviews, but to use in the hotel room, maybe during free time or at night. I'm having trouble deciding if it would be a hassle or if it would be helpful.

1 hour ago, yaybrains said:

This is kind of a dumb question, but are any of you planning to take your laptop with you on interview trips? Not to actually have on you at the interviews, but to use in the hotel room, maybe during free time or at night. I'm having trouble deciding if it would be a hassle or if it would be helpful.

Yes, absolutely -- but I'm expecting to have to work remotely while traveling.  Bringing a laptop (or tablet) could also be good if you want to relax, game, look up faculty profiles, etc. :) 

7 hours ago, yaybrains said:

6 hours ago, Raptor Science Activate said:

Yes, absolutely -- but I'm expecting to have to work remotely while traveling.  Bringing a laptop (or tablet) could also be good if you want to relax, game, look up faculty profiles, etc. :) 

I brought mine last year, and I have to say, I barely used it (although I did have to use it a bit one weekend to work on an abstract). I am, however, 1) not a student or particularly able to work remotely and 2) the owner of a very old, clunky laptop that is more trouble than it's worth to carry around...

I think I'm going to get a tablet because it makes sense for me for a few reasons and bring it instead. It was nice having something other than my phone to look things up on, ultimately, but my laptop personally was a huge hassle...

12 hours ago, Nomad1111 said:

I'm an international, but I'm currently in the US doing research so my case might be different than yours. It might be that domestic/locally-residing applicants are contacted at a different time since, as you said, the interviewing process is different :) 

Thanks for your reply, and congratulations with your interviews. Can I ask which programs you are invited to? 

At least I can see it's the case with Upenn - they do skype interviews with internationals. It is sort of a shame. I would have enjoyed the whole tour with interviews and social events etc. 

Well right now, actually, even an interview on mail will suffice.