2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

On 12/15/2016 at 6:14 PM, nescacphd said:

I'm seeing a lot from WUSTL DBBS, but it looks like a bunch of different divisions. Has anyone heard from their neuroscience division yet or know if they send them all out separately?

Hi, I applied to this program as well. Haven't heard back from the school yet.

Does anyone have experience with asking for a different interview weekend? I have a conflict (Duke and NIH-brown gpp) and I would ideally love to go to both interviews, but they both only offer one weekend as of now. Any tips?? 

18 minutes ago, nescacphd said:

Does anyone have experience with asking for a different interview weekend? I have a conflict (Duke and NIH-brown gpp) and I would ideally love to go to both interviews, but they both only offer one weekend as of now. Any tips?? 

I haven't asked for a different interview weekend, but I have switched to a different interview date that was offered. I called the program managers for two schools and found that both were very nice and incredibly helpful. I think you should call the program managers, explain your situation, and ask if there is anything you can work out so that you can interview at both places. If the first one you call is able to set you up with another interview time, then you can just go ahead and accept the invitation to the other program. Hopefully this was kind of helpful!

9 minutes ago, pitt_neuroundergrad said:

Just got an email invitation from Case Western Neuroscience. So is JHU going to send out invites today? I've been refreshing my email like crazy

Are you by any chance the person with the low gpa who posted on the survey results? Rooting for you all, but especially for my fellow low gpa-ers!! ;) Congrats!

45 minutes ago, LoveMysterious said:

Are you by any chance the person with the low gpa who posted on the survey results? Rooting for you all, but especially for my fellow low gpa-ers!! ;) Congrats!

Haha yeah, thank you! I'm embarrassed to say but I have a 3.1
I saw that someone with a 3.25 got an interview from Hopkins yesterday so that's cool that we aren't immediately thrown by the wayside.

I honestly thought I posted what GPA I had, not so sure why my post didn't show the red diamond. Good luck to you!

Edited by pitt_neuroundergrad

10 minutes ago, pitt_neuroundergrad said:

Haha yeah, thank you! I'm embarrassed to say but I have a 3.1
I saw that someone with a 3.25 got an interview from Hopkins yesterday so that's cool that we aren't immediately thrown by the wayside.

I honestly thought I posted what GPA I had, not so sure why my post didn't show the red diamond. Good luck to you!

Don't be embarrassed! You're obviously a great applicant if you're getting interviews for neuro at Case =). Mine is even less than yours - I had to go do a post bacc. :P Good luck to you too! 

9 hours ago, neuro9529 said:

Hi, I applied to this program as well. Haven't heard back from the school yet.

I received an invite to interview for WUSTL neuro for Jan 12-14th, but they have a second interview session.  I'm almost positive they're still sending out invites to that one, bc when I emailed asking for an alternate date they said they're still filling spots for that second cohort.  

47 minutes ago, Suprachiasmatic said:

Has anyone heard back from NYU and Columbia?  so anxious now 

Called NYU CNS (so idk about Sackler) and they said they just had their committee meeting earlier this week and will be sending out invitations in the next few days? Having said this, I thought I had already seen people get invites but maybe I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I have seen people hearing back from NYU Sackler.

As for Columbia, I don't know for sure when invites are coming, but folks have said some time this week is likely based on previous years (earlier in this thread)? 

(Also I feel you... so so so anxious......)

19 hours ago, lucky_panda said:

Has anyone heard back from the computational neuroscience at the University of Chicago so far? 

I know UChicago's Neurobiology  program reviews on a different  schedule than Integrative Neuroscience (invites in Jan).  I am not sure about Computational  Neuroscience  in specific, but that one is likely  on a different  schedule as well. 

Hi all, 

I've been lurking a while, finally decided to join in the 'fun'. I've yet to hear back from any of the schools I applied to so I am, of course, freakin' out.

Undergrad Institution: SUNY Binghamton (state school, one of the top in the SUNY system)
Major(s): Integrative Neuroscience
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.75
Overall GPA: 3.80
Position in Class: Don't have my rank, but I believe near the top
Type of Student: domestic femals

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 162
W: 4.0

Research Experience: 2 years at Binghamton, Honors Thesis, presented poster at an international conference (Society for Behavioral Neuroendocrinology)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nu Rho Psi (National Honor Society in Neuroscience), Deans list all semesters but one.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TAed twice, once for behavioral neuroscience course

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 

Special Bonus Points: no connections :(

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've double majored in Cinema, hope it doesn't make it seem like that is my true career goal.

Applying to Where: (all neuro programs) my research interest is synaptic plasticity

UC Davis

UCLA 

UCSF

UC Irvine

UCSD

USC

MIT

NYU

SUNY Binghamton (safety)

I probably should've applied to more safety schools and have become real nervous because one of my LORs was submitted about a week late. What are my chances/what should I do help

On 12/20/2016 at 9:23 AM, Raptor Science Activate said:

Just got a voicemail invite from Emory!  They'll be following up with email invites shortly.  For anyone trying to balance a bunch of interviews, the two weekends are 2/2-2/4 and 2/16-2/18.

Do you know who we're supposed to contact with our choice of interview weekend? The email just says "let us know" and I'm not sure who to email exactly. I'm assuming we email the program administrator but I thought I'd check here first.

7 hours ago, anon15 said:

Do you know who we're supposed to contact with our choice of interview weekend? The email just says "let us know" and I'm not sure who to email exactly. I'm assuming we email the program administrator but I thought I'd check here first.

I replied to the program admin, since he's the one handling the logistics for interview weekend scheduling.  If you later have more specific questions about the PhD program itself, you should contact the Admissions Committee Chair.  

21 minutes ago, pemmymiranda said:

NYU  just sent out an email invite for an interview!

Here are the weekends:

Thursday and Friday, January 26-27 or Thursday and Friday, February 2-3.

Congrats! Just received an invite as well

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this forum and also the huge general bio one. But I thought I should join in and say where I applied and where I've heard back from. 

UT Southwestern (Neuroscience)- interview invite 11/30

University of Washington (Neuroscience)- interview invite 12/13

Washington University in St. Louis (Neuroscience)- interview invite 12/15

Duke (Neurobiology)- interview invite 12/16

University of Pittsburgh (CNUP)- interview invite 12/16

Emory (Neuroscience)- interview invite 12/21

Vanderbilt (NGP--then they asked if they could submit my app to IGP and I said yes)

Mayo Clinic (Neurobiology of Disease)

UCSF (Neuroscience)

I'm not sure what other info I should include, but I'm excited for the interview process and to hear about all of y'all's successes!

Edited by neuropacknc
grammar

Has anybody else heard from Vanderbilt NGP or Georgetown IPN? I would hate to respond to a different interview before hearing from them, but I don't want to give up great opportunities to interview if I'm not accepted. I haven't really seen anything on the results page, but both programs were out before the holidays last year.