2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

8 minutes ago, Drifloon said:

There are still a few of us (international and non-international) left who've gotten zero interviews. Sorry, guys. Hope we can still try to enjoy our holidays through the stress. 

By all accounts there are very many interviews left to be sent out in the coming weeks. Keep looking ahead and don't sweat it.

29 minutes ago, Drifloon said:

Most MIT BCS updates on the results page don't show when searching "neuroscience." Try "BCS" and you'll find a few more.

Thanks. Yup, see them now. Still waiting to hear from them. Noticed that for last year, they came out over a few days.

I have just got an invite from Brain and Cognitive Science at the University of Rochester. My second interview invite. :P

Actually, it should be the third one, if I didn't screw up that simple pre-interview. 

Edited by lucky_panda

On 12/23/2016 at 9:26 AM, Daphna_ said:

Hi!

Is anyone International here? I haven't recieved any interview intiviations.... Is the timeline different or was my application just not good enough?

Be happy to share my resume and hear your thoughts...

I think because of funding it is more difficult for international applicants to get in neuroscience programs in the US. You should apply to some lower-ranking universities. If you didn't, you could apply to some masters programs to get more research experience and then apply to PhD programs again in the next year.

Or you can try to find some external funding to increase your chance. I know there was an international student who didn't get the interview invite from UC Berkeley neuroscience. However, he was admitted after he sent an email to UC Berkeley said he has got a government fellowship. It was probably because UC Berkeley didn't need to pay stipend to him and they could earn money by admitting him.

2 minutes ago, lucky_panda said:

I think because of funding it is more difficult for international applicants to get in neuroscience programs in the US. You should apply to some lower-ranking universities. If you didn't, you could apply to some masters programs to get more research experience and then apply to PhD programs again in the next year.

Or you can try to find some external funding to increase your chance. I know there was an international student who didn't get the interview invite from UC Berkeley neuroscience. However, he was admitted after he sent an email to UC Berkeley said he has got a government fellowship. It was probably because UC Berkeley didn't need to pay stipend to him and they could earn money by admitting him.

I concur. I was talking to my PI about this the other week. He said internationals are tough sells to departments because of how expensive they are. At his last institution, PIs were on the hook for an international's stipend and part of their tuition (which was higher than a US citizens). 

It's begun! Glad I found this thread...this is my second application cycle, and it feels really good this time! Last year I got into 2 schools and I was able to defer admission to one, so I have a school in my back pocket already! 

University of Pennsylvania - interview 1/12-1/14

UC Davis - interview 2/8-2/11

University of Wisconsin - Madison - interview 1/26-1/29

UC Berkeley - interview 2/12-2/14

UCSF - probably not getting one, alas

McGill Rotation program

Stanford

Does anyone know if all of UCSF's invites have gone out? I do human research so they're not the best fit, though there are some intriguing people. If I were to get one, I could line it up with UC Davis and UC Berkeley, which would be great, as I live across the country. Trying not to travel to California four separate times...Probably going to email them next week to confirm....

1 hour ago, Nomad1111 said:

Has anyone heard from Yale BBS Neuro? I noticed a bunch of other BBS track interviews in other threads, but not neuro?

According to results from previous years, it seems that Yale BBS Neuro gives out invites shortly after the New Year.

Also for anyone who didn't hear from NYU, I got an email this morning saying that they had sent out all of their invites.

Edited by neuroguy88

In case anyone applied to UIUC Neuroscience Program, I just got an interview invite. Open house dates are 2/9-2/10. 

I heard that the Yale admission committee meets January 3rd and Rockefeller will be sending out emails the week of January 9th. 

Good luck everyone!!! 

Edited by lildoc

9 hours ago, pitt_neuroundergrad said:

saw a UCSD invite on the results page for today?? 

I think someone's trolling.  UCSD normally invites in mid-January.  Why would they release so early on a holiday weekend?  I'll believe it if other people on here start getting invites.  I would be nice to have closure from UCSD for scheduling and peace of mind.

Merry Christmas, everyone!  Happy Hanukkah!

tree smallest.jpg

Edited by Raptor Science Activate

42 minutes ago, Raptor Science Activate said:

I think someone's trolling.  UCSD normally invites in mid-January.  Why would they release so early on a holiday weekend?  I'll believe it if other people on here start getting invites.  I would be nice to have closure from UCSD for scheduling and peace of mind.

tree smallest.jpg

Actually, my friend got a UCSD invite yesterday for biochem, so there's some people working there during the holidays haha

4 hours ago, Raptor Science Activate said:

tree smallest.jpg

sorry to say it's not trolling...I got an invite this morning 7am my time (10pm PST since I live in Europe atm). Even as someone who got an invite, I can honestly say it's kind of shitty for them to send them out on Christmas. It was a great Christmas present for me, but probably not great for people who didn't get invites.

Also, keep the faith for the rest of your programs. I was passed over for NYU and Berkeley, but got interviews at UCSF and UCSD. Just because you get rejected from lower ranked schools doesn't mean you won't get into your other more highly ranked schools, especially if there's something weird about your application (I have a 3.3 GPA which is low and average GREs but I have 5 years research experience at NIH/Harvard/Stanford, so my application is slightly weird). Keeping my fingers crossed for Stanford invites in January....

Edited by nihchick2017

4 hours ago, Raptor Science Activate said:

tree smallest.jpg

I got an invite for UCSD neuro last night at about midnight -- I'm not trolling either! I agree with the previous poster, it is not hugely nice to send invites on Christmas... Perhaps they will send more today and tomorrow.

2 hours ago, nihchick2017 said:

sorry to say it's not trolling...I got an invite this morning 7am my time (10pm PST since I live in Europe atm). Even as someone who got an invite, I can honestly say it's kind of shitty for them to send them out on Christmas. It was a great Christmas present for me, but probably not great for people who didn't get invites.

2 hours ago, Janiejoneswoah said:

I got an invite for UCSD neuro last night at about midnight -- I'm not trolling either! I agree with the previous poster, it is not hugely nice to send invites on Christmas... Perhaps they will send more today and tomorrow.

Oh no, it's absolutely fine.  Thank you both for verifying, and best of luck to you both!  I just wanted to see confirmation from someone on this thread rather than a single post on the anonymous school list before I made any additional scheduling decisions/assumptions.  

A few days ago, someone posted a Cornell invite early on the anonymous school list (nobody had posted confirmation here yet).  I ended up falsely assuming I was rejected from Cornell and booked an alternate interview over Cornell's one interview weekend only to have them invite me a few days later. Now I'm stuck with a big scheduling mess trying to arrange an alternate visit at Cornell.  Knowing UCSD has sent its invites out already makes it MUCH easier to figure out what to do with scheduling for my other interviews.  Thanks again for the clarification!

Edited by Raptor Science Activate

2 hours ago, Raptor Science Activate said:

Oh no, it's absolutely fine.  Thank you both for verifying, and best of luck to you both!  I just wanted to see confirmation from someone on this thread rather than a single post on the anonymous school list before I made any additional scheduling decisions/assumptions.  

A few days ago, someone posted a Cornell invite early on the anonymous school list (nobody had posted confirmation here yet).  I ended up falsely assuming I was rejected from Cornell and booked an alternate interview over Cornell's one interview weekend only to have them invite me a few days later. Now I'm stuck with a big scheduling mess trying to arrange an alternate visit at Cornell.  Knowing UCSD has sent its invites out already makes it MUCH easier to figure out what to do with scheduling for my other interviews.  Thanks again for the clarification!

I'm not sure if you should presume you're out of anything, you're not first picked but you might be a backup if someone gets into their top program and interview dates crash so they cancel on UCSD. It's also Christmas, maybe they will send more out throughout the week! I'd say don't be so hard on yourself until like Jan 31st haha, all sorts of stuff can happen between then and now.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:57 PM, pitt_neuroundergrad said:

Just got an email invitation from Case Western Neuroscience. So is JHU going to send out invites today? I've been refreshing my email like crazy

Question- did your app portal say all of your documents were received, or did it just say "under review"? mine says under review, but i'm convinced that CWRU is missing one of my transcripts and cannot for the life of me get a hold of someone in admissions (I've tried several times over the past few weeks, not too recently because of break though)

Edited by britt2017

16 minutes ago, Drifloon said:

I'm waiting for Columbia, too, as well as MIT. Not sure if MIT is done sending out emails. They seem to be handling this cycle differently from previous, maybe because like Harvard they received a record number of applicants. In years past, they sent out emails over several days. Not sure if that will change this year. 

Edited by Cervello

2 hours ago, Cervello said:

I'm waiting for Columbia, too, as well as MIT. Not sure if MIT is done sending out emails. They seem to be handling this cycle differently from previous, maybe because like Harvard they received a record number of applicants. In years past, they sent out emails over several days. Not sure if that will change this year. 

I'm slightly confused by MIT as well -- the initial email said that interviews wouldn't be announced until January! Hopefully there are more still to come, MIT was very high (if not top) of my list.

6 minutes ago, laserlobotomy said:

Has anybody heard from USC?

Heard back on the 21st. They have four interview weekends (all in February) and invite you to certain weekends based on the faculty of interest you listed.

1 hour ago, Janiejoneswoah said:

I'm slightly confused by MIT as well -- the initial email said that interviews wouldn't be announced until January! Hopefully there are more still to come, MIT was very high (if not top) of my list.

It's at top of my list, too. Actually, so is Columbia.