2017 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

neuroundergrad

Got both a skype interview at McGill to the IPN rotation program and a rejection front Stanford today, so I guess that's a wrap for me - minus actually going to most of my interviews and ultimate (hopeful) acceptances, but it's nice to know where I stand...

Hey everyone,

Just found this thread and am starting to get worried about interview invites!! I have only heard from UIUC (Interview invite 12/24), UCSD (rejected 12/27), Duke (rejected 1/10). I am still waiting on UC Berkeley, NYU (Neural Science), Boulder (Psychology), U Chicago, U Michigan, Penn State, and Rutgers Newark and New Brunswick. All of the statuses still are reading some sort of under review status so I am just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me with still waiting to hear about a majority of their interviews. Thanks for the help! 

On 1/18/2017 at 11:17 AM, jacobs96720 said:

Has anyone heard anything from University of Maryland College Park, or University of Maryland Baltimore School of Medicine? What about Hopkins?

I don't know about UMCP, but UMB sent out their interviews a few weeks ago. They told me that they had 3 committee meetings, and I think they are all done (I got mine after their last committee meeting a few weeks ago). Not sure if they will be sending more invitations, but the committee meetings are over. Good luck! 

18 hours ago, corn828 said:

Hey everyone,

Just found this thread and am starting to get worried about interview invites!! I have only heard from UIUC (Interview invite 12/24), UCSD (rejected 12/27), Duke (rejected 1/10). I am still waiting on UC Berkeley, NYU (Neural Science), Boulder (Psychology), U Chicago, U Michigan, Penn State, and Rutgers Newark and New Brunswick. All of the statuses still are reading some sort of under review status so I am just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me with still waiting to hear about a majority of their interviews. Thanks for the help! 

I'm sorry. UMich PIBS and UMich Neuro already sent out all invotes, NYU sent out acceptance and rejections and the remainimg applicants are under review. I received my Berkeley ~ Dec. 20th. You should start applying to Post baccalaureate programs because it's likely you are not getting any more. The names of these programs are 'PREP' and over 24 universities offer them. It's NIH sponsored btw. Deadlines are from feb. 1st to mid-March. That's what I did. Columbia has another one (Bridge to Ph.D,) and MIT does too but I forgot the name. I think mIT one deadline is Jan. 30!

Best wishes, you'll get a lot of help in these post-baccs, best decision of my career.

Edited by Neurokai
Grammar

3 hours ago, PhDHopeful3 said:

Anyone else waiting on BU GPN? It looks like, from previous years, they release interview invites this week. It feels so late! 

3 hours ago, FlipWizard said:

Yeah, it's the last program I've yet to hear from.

Hi guys -- I got an invite from BU GPN on Sunday but I have no idea if they send out invites all at once or anything. But at least if anything it does seem like they are beginning to send them. 

22 minutes ago, purkinjay said:

Hi guys -- I got an invite from BU GPN on Sunday but I have no idea if they send out invites all at once or anything. But at least if anything it does seem like they are beginning to send them. 

That's awesome, thanks for letting us know and congrats! Fingers crossed that they send more out over the week

Edited by PhDHopeful3

4 hours ago, FlipWizard said:

I received my first acceptance to Northwestern's NUIN Program yesterday. So excited, and very relieved!

Did you get a phone call or an email? Also are you a us citizen? I attended the first interview dates also and now I'm getting nervous

1 hour ago, Neuroro said:

Did you get a phone call or an email? Also are you a us citizen? I attended the first interview dates also and now I'm getting nervous

I attended the first session as well and on Friday 1/20 received an email requesting a good time to call followed by a call and admittance. I am a US citizen. I would not worry too much because the person who emailed/called me (faculty member I had interviewed with) said that most people will not hear back until after the last interview session in February (and in fact people accepted now will not be getting an official email invite until then). Good luck!!!! I hope you hear back soon.

Edited by purkinjay

6 hours ago, Neuroro said:

5 hours ago, purkinjay said:

I attended the first session as well and on Friday 1/20 received an email requesting a good time to call followed by a call and admittance. I am a US citizen. I would not worry too much because the person who emailed/called me (faculty member I had interviewed with) said that most people will not hear back until after the last interview session in February (and in fact people accepted now will not be getting an official email invite until then). Good luck!!!! I hope you hear back soon.

Yes, US citizen. And as said above, my phone call was from one of my interviewers who said that official invites wouldn't be going out until mid-February, after all the interview weekends are done. Best of luck to you!!

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, purkinjay said:

I emailed yesterday and they said they will be sending out invites throughout this week

Hello, guys.

I'm the international and I applied to the BSTP of CWRU, UT health and science center at Houston, U of Maimi (PIBS) and U of Kentucky (IBS).

Is there anyone who is an international student to get the email from them?

I really hope that I can know when my waiting will be done at least.

And I saw some assumption that the reviewing process and initiation for the international is different with domestic. Is it true?

If it is, is there someone to explain how different it is? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Janiejoneswoah said:

Has anybody had an admissions decision from Harvard PIN yet? They said they would be going out yesterday or today so I'm assuming the worst at this point.

I wouldn't be worried just yet. I haven't seen any PiN news on the results page, good or bad. Probably no emails/ calls yet.

1 hour ago, Janiejoneswoah said:

Has anybody had an admissions decision from Harvard PIN yet? They said they would be going out yesterday or today so I'm assuming the worst at this point.

Faculty are calling the admitted applicants today, none went out yesterday. If you haven't heard back by late tomorrow you should shoot Karen an email.

During interviews, has anyone been asked where else they are interviewing (they already know where I've applied since I answered that question in full on the application)? If so, how do you reply? Do you answer vaguely (I'm interviewing at 5 comparable programs) or do you name the schools? What do you think are the pros/cons to either response?