Fall 2010 Admission Results

Huh. Didn't even notice there's already 1 (unofficial, via email)UVA admit on the results page from last week. Going to be an antsy weekend.

Just curious - with whom are you interested in working at UVA? I mention this because (I really don't think it matters at this point) I'm currently a fourth-year (silly UVA parlance).

OK- so like most of you on this forum, I simply can't stand the waiting and am looking forward for this process to be over. So I did a little phone calling today to try and get the facts straight on things. The following schools should be sending notifications, according to my conversations, at the listed times:

UCSD- Most likely next week, week after at the latest

Rochester- Next week

MIT- End of this month, or early next month

UT-Austin- Despite some reports about decisions this week, the woman I spoke with (although it wasn't Megan Mulligan) said "one to two weeks"

Emory- Next week if you haven't heard this week (ie we'll make sure to send the formal rejection)

Notre Dame- Two weeks probably

UNC-CH- "The next couple weeks"

Iowa- Said because of budget cuts they weren't sure about whether they'd be able to fund students this year (I hope this doesn't set off a huge firestorm on the board), but probably three weeks when we do hear

Anyhow, that's what I gathered if it's useful to anybody

OK- so like most of you on this forum, I simply can't stand the waiting and am looking forward for this process to be over. So I did a little phone calling today to try and get the facts straight on things. The following schools should be sending notifications, according to my conversations, at the listed times:

UCSD- Most likely next week, week after at the latest

Rochester- Next week

MIT- End of this month, or early next month

UT-Austin- Despite some reports about decisions this week, the woman I spoke with (although it wasn't Megan Mulligan) said "one to two weeks"

Emory- Next week if you haven't heard this week (ie we'll make sure to send the formal rejection)

Notre Dame- Two weeks probably

UNC-CH- "The next couple weeks"

Iowa- Said because of budget cuts they weren't sure about whether they'd be able to fund students this year (I hope this doesn't set off a huge firestorm on the board), but probably three weeks when we do hear

Anyhow, that's what I gathered if it's useful to anybody

You're totally awesome, though I didn't apply for the schools you called. Good luck!

Just curious - with whom are you interested in working at UVA? I mention this because (I really don't think it matters at this point) I'm currently a fourth-year (silly UVA parlance).

Winter's research best fits what I want to study--I'm more interested in the quant side, studying polling (especially polling using new media). So does Sabato, I guess, but that's the name that EVERYONE goes to when you mention UVA and politics.

Winter's research best fits what I want to study--I'm more interested in the quant side, studying polling (especially polling using new media). So does Sabato, I guess, but that's the name that EVERYONE goes to when you mention UVA and politics.

Interesting. I've taken six AP courses, all of which have been with Ceaser and O'Brien, so I can't speak directly to Winter. However, I've heard good things from friends who have taken undergrad courses. It sounds like you might want to work with Freedman as well; he runs the Distinguished Majors Program that I'm in now, and from my experience he's very smart and engaging. And haha, yes, Sabato is quite the rock star, so I'm not sure how accessible he is.

Interesting. I've taken six AP courses, all of which have been with Ceaser and O'Brien, so I can't speak directly to Winter. However, I've heard good things from friends who have taken undergrad courses. It sounds like you might want to work with Freedman as well; he runs the Distinguished Majors Program that I'm in now, and from my experience he's very smart and engaging. And haha, yes, Sabato is quite the rock star, so I'm not sure how accessible he is.

This presupposes I'm admitted, which I'm not anything close to convinced of. I'm sure my candidacy is worthy, but at some point there's more worthy candidates than openings and I may or may not win the coin flip(s) necessary.

Thanks for the insight though!

This presupposes I'm admitted, which I'm not anything close to convinced of. I'm sure my candidacy is worthy, but at some point there's more worthy candidates than openings and I may or may not win the coin flip(s) necessary.

Thanks for the insight though!

Not a problem. I've had a great experience with the department, and I hope you get the chance to also. Best of luck.

Since you guys got the acceptance at the same time, it probably is a mass mail to all accepted. I'm not in, yay :)

It's only two acceptances. Stay hopeful; acceptances were sent out over the course of a few days last year. Congrats to those admitted - Northwestern sounds like a great place.

I sense a boatload of decisions tomorrow...

correction: three acceptances

correction: four acceptances. alright, I'm pretty sure we didn't get in.

Edited by interista

It's only two acceptances. Stay hopeful; acceptances were sent out over the course of a few days last year. Congrats to those admitted - Northwestern sounds like a great place.

I sense a boatload of decisions tomorrow...

heres for hopin...congrats everyone!

Edited by trmcummi

Yes! Congrats, congrats, congrats to the Northwestern acceptees. It's great to see people getting into great programs. I wonder whether tomorrow will be a big news day or not. The only thing I noticed about last year is that few if any e-mails and phone calls were received by applicants on a Friday. We might have another one of those weekends where we accumulate some more grey hairs.

Just got an offer from Northwestern too...visitation weekend is March 4th to 6th. Very happy I got an acceptance before the inevitable rejections! And at one of my top choices.