Fall 2010 Admission Results

FAO those who got admits at UVA-

Did you get a personalised email, mass/standard email, or was it just through the website? Also, did you get any info on funding?

Sorry if you've already told others this information - I did look, but couldn't immediately see! (At work at the moment, probably shouldn't be posting...)

Oh, and PS - congratulations!

I had emailed the graduate admissions assistant to update something in my application and she wrote back saying that I'd be getting a letter but that I was admitted. There wasn't any funding information (and based on what it says on the program website, I'm not counting on the funding being great).

FAO those who got admits at UVA-

Did you get a personalised email, mass/standard email, or was it just through the website? Also, did you get any info on funding?

Sorry if you've already told others this information - I did look, but couldn't immediately see! (At work at the moment, probably shouldn't be posting...)

Oh, and PS - congratulations!

I got from the website a generic admission letter from the Grad School. No funding details available. And yes, from the Department's website I don't think their funding will be in any way close to being generous.

Theory applicants to NYU: Did you get a response? I'm wondering if they're not taking in any theorists.

I'm a theory applicant to NYU also, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm assuming it's a reject, since based on previous results they seem to wait a while to contact rejects after sending out admits. But who knows, maybe they have some strange staggered process.

I'm a theory applicant to NYU also, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm assuming it's a reject, since based on previous results they seem to wait a while to contact rejects after sending out admits. But who knows, maybe they have some strange staggered process.

Does that apply to master's applicants too, do you think?

Does that apply to master's applicants too, do you think?

No I think in the past they've done the MA admits a while after the PhD admits. That's a fairly common practice for schools that have a stand-alone MA program to which they transfer unsuccessful PhD applicants, even if you're originally just an MA applicant. They try to get the PhD decisions done first.

UCSDers - anyone get their funding info yet?

Last year, funding came in the last week of February. If you are interested in knowing what the financial packages look like, let me know via PM and I'll give you more details.

No I think in the past they've done the MA admits a while after the PhD admits. That's a fairly common practice for schools that have a stand-alone MA program to which they transfer unsuccessful PhD applicants, even if you're originally just an MA applicant. They try to get the PhD decisions done first.

Ok thanks, that makes sense. Phew. I may have escaped my first rejection... for now. Although at this point I would be glad to hear any response from a school.

Berkeley allegedly said they would notify by today right? I haven't heard anything and my application on the web just says that no decisions have been made (dated Feb 4th). If they will notify today when will we know? I know that they have a pretty large cohort in comparison to many of the other schools I have applied to, so I am confused.

Also, yesterday, in my brief freakout mania over hoax-y admits, I had emailed Yale to ask if they'd made decisions yet, and I got this back from them:

"Official notification, once a decision has been made, is delivered by e-mail. For security, such e-mail does not contain the decision itself however. Decision information will be posted in the on-line application. Decisions are made and communicated during the months of February and March. Official decision notification is made by the Graduate School and not individual departments or programs. Only letters or e-mail sent directly from the Graduate School may be considered official notifications of admission and financial aid.

It is important that you keep both your e-mail address and mailing address current. Any changes necessary can be made from within your on-line application."

Pretty cryptic, I know, but it strongly implies that final decisions aren't finished yet / haven't yet been inputted into their system.

Also, yesterday, in my brief freakout mania over hoax-y admits, I had emailed Yale to ask if they'd made decisions yet, and I got this back from them:

"Official notification, once a decision has been made, is delivered by e-mail. For security, such e-mail does not contain the decision itself however. Decision information will be posted in the on-line application. Decisions are made and communicated during the months of February and March. Official decision notification is made by the Graduate School and not individual departments or programs. Only letters or e-mail sent directly from the Graduate School may be considered official notifications of admission and financial aid.

It is important that you keep both your e-mail address and mailing address current. Any changes necessary can be made from within your on-line application."

Pretty cryptic, I know, but it strongly implies that final decisions aren't finished yet / haven't yet been inputted into their system.

I don't see any evidence here that implies anything...aside from the fact that they sent you a form email.

I don't see any evidence here that implies anything...aside from the fact that they sent you a form email.

"once a decision has been made.."

"decision information will be posted.."

Plus the exhortation to keep contact info current. I don't think it was a form email.. but take from it what you like. I don't think they've let anyone know officially.

"once a decision has been made.."

"decision information will be posted.."

Plus the exhortation to keep contact info current. I don't think it was a form email.. but take from it what you like. I don't think they've let anyone know officially.

From the FAQ webpage:

"In most cases, official notification that a decision has been made is delivered by e-mail. For security, such e-mail does not contain the decision itself however. Decision information will be posted in the on-line application. Decisions are made and communicated during the months of February and March. Official decision notification is made by the Graduate School and not individual departments or programs. Only letters or e-mail sent directly from the Graduate School may be considered official notifications of admission and financial aid. The Office of Graduate Admissions cannot give decision results over the phone.It is important that you keep both your e-mail address and mailing address current. Any changes necessary can be made from within your on-line application".

From the FAQ webpage:

"In most cases, official notification that a decision has been made is delivered by e-mail. For security, such e-mail does not contain the decision itself however. Decision information will be posted in the on-line application. Decisions are made and communicated during the months of February and March. Official decision notification is made by the Graduate School and not individual departments or programs. Only letters or e-mail sent directly from the Graduate School may be considered official notifications of admission and financial aid. The Office of Graduate Admissions cannot give decision results over the phone.It is important that you keep both your e-mail address and mailing address current. Any changes necessary can be made from within your on-line application".

Ok ok good grief. You may resume your freaking out. lol.

Emailed Berkeley, they accept about 25 PhD students a year (the results are less than 10 I think) and I don't know - has anyone in comparatives heard yet or in public policy? Those are the two I indicated (I do health care policy and comparative political analysis of health insurance). They say they will notify by the end of NEXT week.

Berkeley allegedly said they would notify by today right? I haven't heard anything and my application on the web just says that no decisions have been made (dated Feb 4th). If they will notify today when will we know? I know that they have a pretty large cohort in comparison to many of the other schools I have applied to, so I am confused.

I second this. My status page has the same update from Feb. 4th. According to past years' results, it seems like they stretch out their acceptances over a week or so. I was hoping to get some answer today (even if it's a rejection). Anyway, it's still early in CA.

I second this. My status page has the same update from Feb. 4th. According to past years' results, it seems like they stretch out their acceptances over a week or so. I was hoping to get some answer today (even if it's a rejection). Anyway, it's still early in CA.

Yup. It looks that way. That is why when someone on here said by the end of THIS week, I freaked. I was like, "They've barely admitted anyone!" LOL. I would like to hear, even if it is bad news.