Fall 2010 Admission Results

Just chiming in with another Berkeley rejection. At this point I'm just glad to be hearing back even if it isn't the most positive news. Hopefully the insider info on Columbia releasing tomorrow is right and some of us get some nice offers. :)

Just chiming in with another Berkeley rejection. At this point I'm just glad to be hearing back even if it isn't the most positive news. Hopefully the insider info on Columbia releasing tomorrow is right and some of us get some nice offers. :)

Yup, I'm out at Berkeley, too. The randomness continues.

Bad news:

Still rejected from Berkeley.

Good news:

A faculty member I am interested in working with read over my literature review and the outline for my thesis and liked it. I got some excellent feedback and I am hopeful!

I'm joining the club of those rejected from Berkeley. I'm actually thoroughly relieved, because my fears about the UC system's finances grew every day that I was waiting, and I ultimately didn't feel that I was meant to go there. Holding out for Columbia (tomorrow?) and Cornell.

I'm joining the club of those rejected from Berkeley. I'm actually thoroughly relieved, because my fears about the UC system's finances grew every day that I was waiting, and I ultimately didn't feel that I was meant to go there. Holding out for Columbia (tomorrow?) and Cornell.

Same here. I even had a Berkeley PhD tell me to be very, very careful. Excellent school, no doubt, but the last place I need to be when things are risky is 5 hours away from my "home" by plane and in one of the most expensive places to live in the world. Benefits are what would worry me more than a stipend cutback. I need my health care. I am not unhelathy when on my medications, but my asthma is sometimes a concern and unmedicated, I would be in a world of hurt. Also, ironically, I am doing HEALTH CARE research. The fact that I got money to go somewhere yesterday means that I can keep my health care through school starting. Amen!

I've also started to get more and more worried about California's financial problems, which is complicating my decisions greatly. The fact that UCSD seems to be rushing to get admitted students to commit to visiting without giving any financial information at all worries me for some reason.

On an unrelated subject, I've received nothing but rejections this week so I'm hoping tomorrow will finally bring good news (for a lot of us).

I've also started to get more and more worried about California's financial problems, which is complicating my decisions greatly. The fact that UCSD seems to be rushing to get admitted students to commit to visiting without giving any financial information at all worries me for some reason.

On an unrelated subject, I've received nothing but rejections this week so I'm hoping tomorrow will finally bring good news (for a lot of us).

I'm also increasingly nervous about UCSD's funding. It also happens to be my only offer thus far. The way things have been going, that may not change, and so I'm now starting to get really anxious.

I was also expectedly rejected from UC Berkeley. Two more to go! I'm now more or less convinced my UCSD acceptance was a fluke. I've been frequently told that acceptance comes down in the end to a crap shoot, and I feel very lucky and grateful.

Exact same feeling here. Rejected by Berkeley, but only feel happy that I got into NYU - expecting anything higher up in the infamous rankings is probably asking for too much. :)

And congrats to you, NEPA, and all the others who got their (first) offer. Waiting is so much more bearable if you know that you have something for sure...

Edited by Shere Khan

Also rejected from Berkeley, presumably rejected from Princeton...I knew I was taking a risk with how I did my applications, and I still had my reasons and think that it was the right decision, but it doesn't make the rejections feel nicer.

To be fair, UCSD has always given offers after it gives its admissions decisions. This is nothing new, even prior to the 'financial crises'...lots of other schools do the same, including Wisconsin-Madison, which no one is accusing of having major financial problems.

I asked Jennifer Evangelista for a timeline on funding at UCSD (so that I could have Davis save money on me and not go to their open house) and she very nicely told me this:

Hi Taylor,

We are actively working on our offer letters right now and hope to have them out by the end of this month. Typically, students are guaranteed at least 4 years of funding in the form of a stipend and/or TAship.

I hope that helps you in making your decision--- I know its still a bit vague!

Best Regards,

Jennifer

I'm honestly not very worried. Students I have talked to are reassuring that we will get packages, and Evangelista also told me that they have admitted a significantly smaller amount of students this year.

I'm in at Rutgers! Their website updated tonight. Finally, after two rejections this week, I know I'm going to grad school! biggrin.gif

Very glad to hear this! I knew you'd pull through but I imagine it's not very fun to have to wait as long as you did. It was definitely a stroke of pure luck that I got into Georgia as early as I did (January 15), and for that I am definitely grateful. I'd be shocked if anyone on this board doesn't get into anywhere they applied. Just be patient (although MUCH easier said than done).

Edited by APGradApplicant

Very glad to hear this! I knew you'd pull through but I imagine it's not very fun to have to wait as long as you did. It was definitely a stroke of pure luck that I got into Georgia as early as I did (January 15), and for that I am definitely grateful. I'd be shocked if anyone on this board doesn't get into anywhere they applied. Just be patient (although MUCH easier said than done).

Thanks! It definitely does feel nice to have gotten in somewhere, and at my top choice no less. I'm so excited to work with their department. I agree, patience is key. If I can get in, I can't imagine everyone else not getting into a great school.

In at Yale - (also informed by an email to check the website)

I saw a posting a few pages back that Yale's funding is lower this year.. any truth? On last year's results page someone wrote they were receiving $25,500... Do you think it'll be similar this year?

Looks like we're down to just a few more days. GL everyone!!!

Let Coast,

I am the other Mizzou here. I got in yesterday. Did they mention which fellowship you were nominated for or just the stadard, it has to be approved by the graduate school but you will be a choice for full funding?