Fall 2010 Admission Results

I'm assuming your top choice is the H-bomb? I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

Your assumption is correct. :) Even though I know getting my hopes up will make bad news hurt even worse, I just can't seem to not get my hopes up no matter how much I tell myself not to. Like you, I received encouraging feedback from my top choice (and other places I've been rejected at), but if anything, I've learned not to read much of anything into that feedback at all, other than maybe the fact that my interests fit with the program.

I think we can both make it. I look forward to meeting you at the visit. :)

Edited by Cicero

Also implicitly rejected at Columbia (unless by some slim chance American politics admits haven't yet been notified?). Really bummed.

On a totally different note, does anyone know whether (or to what extent) funding offers are negotiable? I just got my funding offer from UT-Austin and it's over $3200/year less than what I got at UVA, and I'm really hoping to be able to give serious consideration to both programs rather than having it just be defined by that one factor.

Backsstreets,

You can attempt to negotiate. My advisor told me to do this depending on if I am accepted at multiple schools I am serious about.

Thanks! I just wasn't sure. It feels so awkward asking for more money from a public university, but I guess the worst thing they can do is say no...

Hi guys, sorry to disappoint some of you, but the Harvard admission I claimed yesterday was not fake (and I certainly hope not since I would have wasted a good bottle of champagne otherwise). They called me and have since confirmed via email. But it's the political economy & government program and their admission is independent of the the regular government program. So this mean nothing for anybody applying for the government PhD at Harvard.

Hi guys, sorry to disappoint some of you, but the Harvard admission I claimed yesterday was not fake (and I certainly hope not since I would have wasted a good bottle of champagne otherwise). They called me and have since confirmed via email. But it's the political economy & government program and their admission is independent of the the regular government program. So this mean nothing for anybody applying for the government PhD at Harvard.

I don't think anyone was doubting yours. Sincerest congratulations... What an accomplishment, particularly in light of the admissions statistics we saw today from another similarly-ranked political economy program!

The fakes from yesterday were primarily rejections, one of which was illegitimately claimed under my username. (It was a robust new tactic from our anonymous friend.) Just so everyone's clear, I'll own up to my rejection on the board when it *actually* comes. :rolleyes: I'm actually kind of looking forward to it, because it'll let me finally get down to the tough decision I have.

On a totally different note, does anyone know whether (or to what extent) funding offers are negotiable? I just got my funding offer from UT-Austin and it's over $3200/year less than what I got at UVA, and I'm really hoping to be able to give serious consideration to both programs rather than having it just be defined by that one factor.

You can absolutely negotiate, especially if you have a better offer from another school. I had a friend do so last year, and he got a $5,000 per year increase. The worst that can happen is they'll tell you no. That being said, though, you definitely don't want to let a difference in stipend determine where you get your PhD, unless you are really concerned that what they're giving you is not enough to make ends meet.

Congratulations! I was obviously not doubting your acceptance (I posted that aggressive post on the results page), but there was a loooog list of people claiming Government PhD acceptances yesterday, and I was referring to those. You can enjoy your champagne!

Officially rejected at Princeton. I was pretty heart broken, but what are you going to do? It's so competetive. Just gotta wait out Toronto and my Masters program application now. Both look likely to be mid march.

Congrats to everybody on some phenomenal acceptances!!

Also implicitly rejected at Columbia (unless by some slim chance American politics admits haven't yet been notified?). Really bummed.

You got a funding offer at UVA?

I thought they hadn't announced anything yet; letter said they'd do it in April.

Sucks for me, but good for you :)

You got a funding offer at UVA?

I thought they hadn't announced anything yet; letter said they'd do it in April.

Sucks for me, but good for you :)

Yeah, I got a letter in the mail a few days ago saying I'd gotten the presidential fellowship ($18k/year for four years). I like the UVA program and the faculty, but Texas is a lot better for what I want to study (I just don't know that I can do it if they're averaging at around $14,800/year). You might very well still have funding, though. I know they've been set back a bit in terms of admissions and financial aid stuff because of the snow and everything, so hopefully you'll hear something soon! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Yeah, I got a letter in the mail a few days ago saying I'd gotten the presidential fellowship ($18k/year for four years). I like the UVA program and the faculty, but Texas is a lot better for what I want to study (I just don't know that I can do it if they're averaging at around $14,800/year). You might very well still have funding, though. I know they've been set back a bit in terms of admissions and financial aid stuff because of the snow and everything, so hopefully you'll hear something soon! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Man, now I got worried about funding at UVa and it's my only option so far.

Yeah, it's concerning, certainly, but according to their program literature, everyone is funded in years 2-4. While not being funded 1st year would be rather unfortunate, it's not the end of the world--as schools go, it's a bargain, too.

All that said I'd love to have funding same as you. Good luck to both of us!