Fall 2010 Admission Results

I would rank Brandeis slightly above CUNY, and, depending on your interests, in striking distance of Brown. If you are sent an acceptance, it could be a game change.

I need an acceptance in the next two weeks. So who do we think we're going to hear from this week? Georgetown? Brown?

Harvard University, I suspect that since many other admit "lines" to the govt. dept. opened last week, this week will bring the final govt. dept. decisions. On a related note, we will see if user "SuddenlyParanoid" becomes the Michael Phelps of graduate school admissions (and no, I don't mean the pothead, arrested for drunk driving version).

I like the similism. Only one more to go SP. Once you get into H., please throw us some scraps by sharing your stats. ;)

I know that, at least as of the end of January, Georgetown's adcomm wasn't planning on meeting until the end of February. So my guess is that decisions won't go out until the first week of March, at the earliest, unless plans changed.

I predict that Columbia will send out its rejections/waitlists/referrals to MA programs, Harvard will release at least its acceptances, and UNC might release its waitlist.

Do people agree with those predictions? Anyone have any others?

Cornell? Or we really have to wait until the following week?

I know that, at least as of the end of January, Georgetown's adcomm wasn't planning on meeting until the end of February. So my guess is that decisions won't go out until the first week of March, at the earliest, unless plans changed.

I predict that Columbia will send out its rejections/waitlists/referrals to MA programs, Harvard will release at least its acceptances, and UNC might release its waitlist.

Do people agree with those predictions? Anyone have any others?

Not sure if it concerns any in this forum, but I'm particularly anxious to hear from U-dub and USC (POIR). I'm also wondering about Notre Dame.

I'm pretty anxious to hear from Johns Hopkins. I also think that UCLA will send out more offers for theory, though I'm guessing that funding will be contingent on whether or not those offered spots on Saturday accept or decline their offers (judging from last year's results).

Not sure if it concerns any in this forum, but I'm particularly anxious to hear from U-dub and USC (POIR). I'm also wondering about Notre Dame.

USC concerns me. I've seen two acceptances in the results forum, but they were spread apart by a week or so. That's been my favorite program since I started thinking about a PhD, and my campus visit last fall was encouraging. We'll see, I guess.

And in other, non-Harvard news, I received a phone call yesterday (Saturday) from a professor at Arizona gauging my interest in their program still. He said their committee is meeting this upcoming week, so we'd likely find out late in the week.

USC concerns me. I've seen two acceptances in the results forum, but they were spread apart by a week or so. That's been my favorite program since I started thinking about a PhD, and my campus visit last fall was encouraging. We'll see, I guess.

Were those USC acceptances for POIR? I got the sense they may have been for SPPD since there are a number of policy gurus in this forum. Nevertheless, it is a little disconcerting that USC is taking so long. Not sure if they're intensely scrutinizing applicants or simply a matter of a slow administrative process.

BTW, how is the area around campus?

I was one of the USC admits, but I was notified early because I was offered a fellowship. I don't know if they've sent out all their decisions. Their visit day is in early March, though.

Wow, congrats!! How did you receive word, email or USPS?

I'm keen to hear from USC too.

I noticed that two (?) acceptances have been posted on the results page, one of which was claimed on this thread (by somebody who reported having been notified in person, I assume having also been awarded a prestigious fellowship). Not sure when the rest of us can expect to hear. I can't remember what USC's intake is like, but there should be at least a few more places out there. Good luck!

Edit: Sorry, I obviously didn't refresh the thread before posting this reply. The posts above appear to fill in a couple of the blanks ;)

Edited by LordNorth

Disturbing. You received an acceptance, and are re-applying this year? What does that say about the department?

I heard no one got funding from Brandeis last year and that they returned the application fees.

Really hoping they won't do the same this year :)

I heard no one got funding from Brandeis last year and that they returned the application fees.

Really hoping they won't do the same this year :)

Actually, they didn't accept any PhDs last year and put those who applied and were accepted into the masters program. This year they are admitting about 3 PhDs.

Surprisingly, I haven't heard much about MIT on this board. I'm assuming that they primarily focus on methods and tend to admit students with math and science based backgrounds?

Nope. MIT is strong in qualitative methods and they aren't particularly amazing in quantitative methods and formal theory.

I'd really like to see Chicago give out responses to the rest of the subfields this week. I'm also dying to hear from my Yale MA. I'd also love some news from Washington.

Chicago sent out waitlists, so you'd have to assume that they are done, right? They are probably just figuring out who they will admit to the MA programs.

Actually, they didn't accept any PhDs last year and put those who applied and were accepted into the masters program. This year they are admitting about 3 PhDs.

Ouch, 3 is still dangerously little. You mean 3 slots, right? They would accept more I hope, to be on the safe side :)

You got that info from an inside source?

Unfortunately for those who haven't heard yet, I think this might be correct. I do know that they refer a good number of people to their MAPSS MA program, so maybe that could be an option for you? Regardless, you still have the Yale MA as a potential option, so don't feel bad if Chicago doesn't pan out for you.

Ah really? That's fine though. At this point in my life I'd be just as happy with an MA acceptance. I'm definitely in no rush. It would be nice though, of course.

Ouch, 3 is still dangerously little. You mean 3 slots, right? They would accept more I hope, to be on the safe side :)

You got that info from an inside source?

Very inside. Yes I heard they are accepting 4 to get 3.

Edited by Scarlet

Very inside. Yes I heard they are accepting 4 to get 3.

Damn. Around 5 % acceptance rate.

This process is getting more and more like a lottery! And I have terrible luck!

And they say on their website that all people accepted to PhD are offered full funding. So last year, they did not accept anyone to the phd in order to avoid the legal issues, right?

Edited by curufinwe