Fall 2010 Admission Results

I am waiting to hear from GW and USC. I already look at GW as a rejection and frankly speaking I am not very optimistic about USC. I think we can easily say no for spring admissions. Even if there are some, most probably they don't offer financial aid to spring admissions. I am not planning to apply again - I will try to find a job and apply after one or two years. There are way too many applicants, and well I guess I am not good enough. A short job experience might make me look better.

Don't get me wrong (well I am pretty much in the same situation), but if you get rejected in Fall 2010, I don't think you can easily find a placement in Spring 2011.

For those still waiting on GWU, you can check online (Applyonline) and they have decisions up for everyone.

GoCardinal -

Congrats on getting into Oxford!! Although it sounds like you have some great offers from other places as well. Did you hear from Oxford by post? Today?

Thanks; I got the admission offer via email yesterday and turned them down today.

A great push-back against Debbie Downers like Realist in today's Chronicle.

http://chronicle.com...or-a-Lie/64535/

I agree with much of what is said in this article, but really, is it any more optimistic? "Presenting the choice [to go to grad school] as an artistic career means that we must accept that persistent professional disappointment is a central part of the life" sounds just as Debbie-Downer (albeit thoroughly realistic) to me.

So I am expecting to hear back from USC this week. From reading other posts and noticing the acceptance timelines of others, should I assume rejection? I noticed all POIR acceptances so far were via email at the end of Feb, however, there were only a small number.I'm DESPERATELY hoping that this was a first wave of admissions. There were people also rejected via email and I have not received an email. Do grad schools ever accept through mail?

Hey there.... PhD POIR applicant here... no word yet from them... sent them an email inquiry last week, but still no reply................................................... this is mightily inconvenient, since I have acceptance offers on hold, and this is getting on my nerves because I need to take care of study permits ASAP (I'm an international applicant)..... and I will be very disappointed if, at the end of this loooooooooooooooooooooong wait, I get a rejection email...

So I posted a U of T rejection. Turns out it is a waitlist, not a rejection. If you email them they will tell you your status but the gist of it is if you haven't heard by now you are either rejected or waitlisted.

For those still waiting on GWU, you can check online (Applyonline) and they have decisions up for everyone.

Did you get your acceptance from GWU? (I think you were the one who got an unofficial acceptance with funding, right?)

What are you going to do now?

I think I'm putting in one more app for LSE for a master's, now that I think it would actually be better for me. If that doesn't work out, I'm applying for a scholarship from the Chinese government to do some school over there. If THAT doesn't work I'll likely teach English in China for a year and go from there. There's also the possibility of doing a master's at my undergrad institution, but I hate this town so so so so much.

I agree with much of what is said in this article, but really, is it any more optimistic? "Presenting the choice [to go to grad school] as an artistic career means that we must accept that persistent professional disappointment is a central part of the life" sounds just as Debbie-Downer (albeit thoroughly realistic) to me.

I would be very cautious about reading this article optimistically. This person already has tenure. I wonder if he would write the same article if he was working at McDonald's with a humanities PhD. In a very elitist fashion, he also does not acknowledge that one can "live the life of the mind" without getting a PhD at all.

I am a newcomer here. I have a question.well ,maybe a silly question to ask. How could committee decide the assistantship ? Is the GRE the only decisive factor? Why do schools give so many admissions without funding? Cant they think we cant afford the tuition? Yes,silly question but thank you so much for your response. I am eager to wait for assistantship decision right now.

I am a newcomer here. I have a question.well ,maybe a silly question to ask. How could committee decide the assistantship ? Is the GRE the only decisive factor? Why do schools give so many admissions without funding? Cant they think we cant afford the tuition? Yes,silly question but thank you so much for your response. I am eager to wait for assistantship decision right now.

Hey there --

Well, I do not have actual data, but, having applied to PhD programs twice (once in 2007 for Fall 2008 and again in 2009 for Fall 2010) -- a total of 9 universities -- I can say the following:

1. Most schools do not offer admission unless they can cover all your expenses.

2. There are some schools that do offer admission without funding. Of these, some offer admission from the very start and waitlist you for funding... others waitlist you for both admission and funding, and admit you when funding becomes available (i.e. if someone turns down their offer).

3. Those schools that offer admission without funding are aware that it costs a fortune and that few can afford it. But, believe it or not, some can, and so the idea is, why prevent good candidates from attending our school (and benefiting us financially!) just because we can't afford to fund them?

I know one person whose father is *willing* to pay for his PhD, but the problem is that he hasn't been able to get *even* a non-funded offer...! In contrast, I got an acceptance offer from Boston University for Fall 2008 but did not get any funding so could not attend... (I got funded offers this year so I'm attending).

Edited by TheSquirrel

Let me put my two cents in as well. For PhD programs, what thesquirrel said is pretty much correct. There are a few PhD programs that accept unfunded candidates (well, at least in political science). Based on my experience, I can say those schools are either really reputable schools or practice-oriented schools. (So either the candidate sees PhD as an investment opportunity or a government/employer pays for the school).

Again based on my experience during my PhD applications and my grad studies, your exam scores are quite important. (If you are an international student, your TOEFL score might be more important than your GRE especially if you want to be a TA). Your research interests/willingness to teach are as well important. (If the department needs your research skills, you will get a position.) Although they are called merit awards, you should demonstrate your need, too.

Hey there --

Well, I do not have actual data, but, having applied to PhD programs twice (once in 2007 for Fall 2008 and again in 2009 for Fall 2010) -- a total of 9 universities -- I can say the following:

1. Most schools do not offer admission unless they can cover all your expenses.

2. There are some schools that do offer admission without funding. Of these, some offer admission from the very start and waitlist you for funding... others waitlist you for both admission and funding, and admit you when funding becomes available (i.e. if someone turns down their offer).

3. Those schools that offer admission without funding are aware that it costs a fortune and that few can afford it. But, believe it or not, some can, and so the idea is, why prevent good candidates from attending our school (and benefiting us financially!) just because we can't afford to fund them?

I know one person whose father is *willing* to pay for his PhD, but the problem is that he hasn't been able to get *even* a non-funded offer...! In contrast, I got an acceptance offer from Boston University for Fall 2008 but did not get any funding so could not attend... (I got funded offers this year so I'm attending).

Thank you so much for __TheSquirrel' and Whistler __your kindly reply. I really appreciate. I am an international student and cant pursue my PhD without funding. I got three admissions. one totally told me that it cant give me assistantship and the other two are being made decision. Those are all low ranking schools. I have good background but very very low GRE so I cant apply for good programs. You guys think it is possible that If I send email to professors to ask for some funding? Thank you again for your kindness.

Edited by maaganmichael

Hey everyone. I've lurked around here for a while. This site has been a tremendous resource through this process.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else on here is planning to attend Claremont Graduate this fall?

I had a few acceptances to safety MA programs, but they're the one PhD that came through with an acceptance. Anyone?