Fall 2010 Admission Results

This wait from CUNY is becoming ridiculous.

Don't get your hopes up. Here's an email from them when I inquired recently:

"Since The Graduate Center does not have an April 15 acceptance/decision deadline, the Political Science department could send decisions out between now and May 31. "

"Since The Graduate Center does not have an April 15 acceptance/decision deadline, the Political Science department could send decisions out between now and May 31. "

I received my acceptance letter in the mail from CUNY last night, but they don't put any funding information in the letter. They only offer you funding after you accept their offer.

I received my acceptance letter in the mail from CUNY last night, but they don't put any funding information in the letter. They only offer you funding after you accept their offer.

Are you the one who hears back early from schools? I seem to remember someone saying that they applied to CUNY back in December but I can't find the post.

In past years, results have been posted from late February to the 1st week of March with wait listed applicants being notified in late April and May. It would appear though that things have changed this year.

Edited by southshoresi

Are you the one who hears back early from schools? I seem to remember someone saying that they applied to CUNY back in December but I can't find the post.

Yes. That was me. If you have any other options you shouldn't choose CUNY. When I talked to them on Monday they told me they couldn't give me any statistics on placement or attrition rates because they don't keep them. They said they usually only place in small schools in the New York area, and in the acceptance letter it says that for students who get funding, "New students must usually be prepared to meet their expenses for at least the first two months of their initial enrollment."

Yes. That was me. If you have any other options you shouldn't choose CUNY. When I talked to them on Monday they told me they couldn't give me any statistics on placement or attrition rates because they don't keep them. They said they usually only place in small schools in the New York area, and in the acceptance letter it says that for students who get funding, "New students must usually be prepared to meet their expenses for at least the first two months of their initial enrollment."

Oy. Glad I got a full ride elsewhere.

Does anyone care to phone Notre Dame to see if they are even there (it is spring break)? Seems the only way to determine if this raft of rejections is even possible.

They're on Spring Break. I wouldn't expect anything until next week.

I have been told by my advisors that this it is pretty typical at most schools to have to meet the first month or two of expenses as grad students must begin classes before being added to the payroll, and depending on when classes start, you may miss the first payroll cycle and have to wait until the following month before receiving the first stipend. Can any grad students share when you received your first stipend?

I have been told by my advisors that this it is pretty typical at most schools to have to meet the first month or two of expenses as grad students must begin classes before being added to the payroll, and depending on when classes start, you may miss the first payroll cycle and have to wait until the following month before receiving the first stipend. Can any grad students share when you received your first stipend?

I get my stipend biweekly and get my first in mid-september. 2 months seems a bit long to wait.

I would not say this is totally out of line, though. Certainly not in my dept/univ. Incoming students are often surprised at how long the bureaucratic machine takes to get moving. I sure was. It was mid October before I saw a paycheck.

I know that some schools let people take out some sort of a loan at the beginning of the school year to cover initial expenses. I never did it because I always had some savings, but it is something you could look into if you really need it.

Edited by qazwerty

Though I was hopeful since someone on the site said they accepted 15 people this year. Thats double the number of people accepted last year. Oh well, at least I was hopeful until acceptances arrived from them to some people on here and not to me.

brown has a 5% acceptance rate (this year's stats, that's lower than most top programs) and they are hiring some good faculty, yet they are ranked in the late 40s and their placement record is terrible. doesn't make sense. any insights?

(i was accepted to brown, trying to decide where i should take it)

brown has a 5% acceptance rate (this year's stats, that's lower than most top programs) and they are hiring some good faculty, yet they are ranked in the late 40s and their placement record is terrible. doesn't make sense. any insights?

(i was accepted to brown, trying to decide where i should take it)

What area of political science did you get into at Brown?

Hello all - I turned down an offer from notre dame in theory. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

Gosh, too bad you weren't IR! Oh well, I suppose any decliners are tangentially good news for me. unsure.gif Nevertheless, thanks for the update!

Have fun in Evanston.

Edited by gravityflyer

Hi everyone, new guy here. I applied to study political theory.

Accepted at Indiana Bloomington.

Waitlisted at Cornell and UPenn.

Rejected from Duke, Northwestern, Berkeley, and Chicago.

Still haven't heard from Columbia, UCLA, or Johns Hopkins. sad.gif